cgrau

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

cgrau
liml wrote:
Very nice and I haven’t seen a reproduction of this set, so that’s another plus.

Many thanks, Lawrence. You can find lots of these sets for sale if you search bakelite chess on Etsy and Ebay.

unc07

very nice

MySeTH

Chuck,

Congrats for the new arrival in your collection.

(In a short time you may are going to need another room, or to push the walls) happy.png

cgrau
unc07 wrote:

very nice

Thanks!!

cgrau
MySeTH wrote:

Chuck,

Congrats for the new arrival in your collection.

(In a short time you may are going to need another room, or to push the walls)

LOL, Herve, and merci beaucoup. The walls are basement walls, and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

rcmacmillan

Chuck, I've looked at those pieces a thousand times and shaken my head. Are they really bakelite and not just plastic? Do they pass the bakelite test? I can't say that I've ever seen bakelite with casting marks before, except those soviet clocks... 

BonTheCat

Chuck, that's not the correct version of the Varna Olympiad set 1962. It's a later variant. As you can see from the photos, the kings have crosses, not a diminutive finial, and the rooks and bishops are slightly different (the inspiration from the Buenos Aires 1939 set is more clearly to be seen). I've promised to post photos of the set I have, but I just haven't got round to it. Need to take the time to do so shortly.

BonTheCat
rcmacmillan wrote:

Chuck, I've looked at those pieces a thousand times and shaken my head. Are they really bakelite and not just plastic? Do they pass the bakelite test? I can't say that I've ever seen bakelite with casting marks before, except those soviet clocks... 

Once I've posted photos mine, one can see that the pawns are moulded from at least four parts. Whether it's proper bakelite, I can't say. My guess is that is plastic of some kind, although the sets are always advertized as bakelite.

cgrau
I'd love to see an original set. As I wrote in the initial post, this is a Bulgarian reproduction of the Olympiad set. The 1939 Olympiad set has pieces cast in three pieces, as an aside.
cgrau
Good and interesting point about the Bakelite, RC. I confess I'm repeating how these sets are described without having rubbed 409 on them. Bakelite should not have such seams, but they are heavier and denser than other plastics.
BonTheCat
cgrau wrote:
Good and interesting point about the Bakelite, RC. I confess I'm repeating how these sets are described without having rubbed 409 on them. Bakelite should not have such seams, but they are heavier and denser than other plastics.

The set I have is most definitely heavier and denser than normal plastic, too. (Giving off that solid clicking sound you get from weighted pieces.)