Forums

Vintage Soviet Russian Chess Set circa 1950s

Sort:
goodknightmike

Here's some pics of a vintage circa 1950s Soviet set. Kings measure 3 1/8" in height. Pawn height 1 5/8".  My set looks similar to Cgrau, UpcountryRain and Ronbo's sets but appears be an older version. 

Ronbo710
goodknightmike wrote:

Here's some pics of a vintage circa 1950s Soviet set. Kings measure 3 1/8" in height. Pawn height 1 5/8".  My set looks similar to Cgrau, UpcountryRain and Ronbo's sets but appears be an older version. 

VERY Cool Mike. Makes me want my set to get here even faster Yell. I think my king is the same height. The knights and Rooks are what sold me on this style. 

cgrau

I love this style. The knights are unique. Your pawns are special, even for this design. Here are examples of the pawns in my set...

cgrau

I also really like the red pieces. No date in the box?

UpcountryRain

Wow, goodknightmike, what a set! It definitely seems older. Is that a recent acquisition? When did you get it?

goodknightmike
Ronbo710 wrote:
goodknightmike wrote:

VERY Cool Mike. Makes me want my set to get here even faster . I think my king is the same height. The knights and Rooks are what sold me on this style. 

Thanks Ron, looking forward to pics of your set

goodknightmike
cgrau wrote:

I also really like the red pieces. No date in the box?

Thanks Chuck, yep no date on box

goodknightmike
cgrau wrote:

I love this style. The knights are unique. Your pawns are special, even for this design. Here are examples of the pawns in my set...

I'm glad you like the set Chuck. Thanks for the pics of your pawns. 

goodknightmike
UpcountryRain wrote:

Wow, goodknightmike, what a set! It definitely seems older. Is that a recent acquisition? When did you get it?

My pleasure UpcountryRain,  I got this set on Ebay around 3 years ago

informaticacobach29

I got one of those, according to the information on the box (a russian member of chess.com kindly translated it) it was made in Valdai, Novgorod.

Ronbo710
informaticacobach29 wrote:

I got one of those, according to the information on the box (a russian member of chess.com kindly translated it) it was made in Valdai, Novgorod.

Wow! Exquisite condition. That is how I am trying to find many of the 60's-80's Soviet era sets now. Congrats Laughing

informaticacobach29

Found the post. BurnAmos made some interesting comments about the set, he pointed out that the set could have been made in the 50's or early 60's.  

I just checked inside the box. There is a date.

informaticacobach29
Ronbo710 wrote: 

Wow! Exquisite condition. That is how I am trying to find many of the 60's-80's sets now. Congrats 

Thanks Ronbo. I was very lucky to find it. 

goodknightmike
informaticacobach29 wrote:

Thanks informaticacobach for providing infromation on your set and sharing pics.

cgrau

1957, Info?

gerberk

A thing of beauty. 

Leave it to the Russians to make something like that.

I have a boring Staunton set compared to this.

informaticacobach29
cgrau wrote:

1957, Info?

Last number looks more like a 2 written in a hurry.

I'd say 1952.

chessspy1

I am interested in finding out more about the Soviet set shown in Episode 7 season 2 of the poorly acted rather odd European cop show Crossing Lines. If anyone knows who's it is or who provided the sets for this show I would like to know.

FrankHelwig
chessspy1 wrote:

I am interested in finding out more about the Soviet set shown in Episode 7 season 2 of the poorly acted rather odd European cop show Crossing Lines. If anyone knows who's it is or who provided the sets for this show I would like to know.

The set is shown very briefly only. This is the best I could do for screenshots:

nullnull

chessspy1

Hi Frank,

Yes M downloaded a couple of pics but for some reason I cannot see your pictures here.

Could you please send it/them to me on my email. alandewey@rocketmail.com as an attachment.