Forums

1 e4 e5 2 g4?

Sort:
aAquila

Hi , this is a move i recently have in mind, is it reasonable ?

madhacker

The question mark in the thread title is accurate.

GreenCastleBlock

Only a Black playing on auto-pilot would bring the N out to f6 against this move.  g4 permanently deprives White of the chance to cover f4 or h4 with a pawn.  This suggests Black should bring the KN out to g6 instead (via e7) so that it eyes both those potentially weak squares, possibly after 2...Bc5 and moves like ..d6,..Nc6,..a6, etc. with a reverse color Bishop's Game.

This is probably worse than the Grob because at least in the Grob White has a chance to play d4 and try to turn it into a Center Counter type position.  Here d4 is falling under Black's control.

viruschidai

its not good its a q mark

ChessBoy513

1.e4 e5 2.g4 d5 0-1

PSV-1988

Well, let's see.

Does 2 g4 develop a piece? No.
Does 2 g4 control the centre? No.
Does 2 g4 improve the safety of your king? No.

Therefore, 2 g4 is not a good move. Also, 2...d5 seems like a very strong counter, adhering to the rule of countering a flank attack with a centre attack.

MatthewFreitag

Tails204

even in the bullet I would not risk playing like that

TheLonePika

I would go on to say that ALL other legal moves for white on the second move are better than 2. g4 (including 2. b4, 2. Qh5, 2. Qg4, 2. h4, etc.)

PSV-1988

2. Qh5 is probably still too good to be part of that list, lol.

Reminds me of a 'trick' I once saw happen in a children's OTB tournament. Kid played 2. Qh5 and asked his opponent ''Hey, is there also a sticker underneath your king?'' so the kid took his king and checked and then the White player screamed ''You touched your king, now you got to move it!'' and then the arbiter came over and told the kid he indeed had to play 2...Ke7 now. Well, rip.

Tails204
PSV-1988 wrote:

Reminds me of a 'trick' I once saw happen in a children's OTB tournament. Kid played 2. Qh5 and asked his opponent ''Hey, is there also a sticker underneath your king?'' so the kid took his king and checked and then the White player screamed ''You touched your king, now you got to move it!'' and then the arbiter came over and told the kid he indeed had to play 2...Ke7 now. Well, rip.

funny, but after e5 I prefer this move

TheLonePika
pfren wrote:
TheLonePika έγραψε:

I would go on to say that ALL other legal moves for white on the second move are better than 2. g4 (including 2. b4, 2. Qh5, 2. Qg4, 2. h4, etc.)

I think 2.Ba6 is a tad weaker.

Oops 2nd worst move I guess

Elroch
IMBacon wrote:

"is it reasonable?"

It is neat how an awful move like 1. e4 e5 2. g4 can be a 2 pawn error according to the chess.com analysis without (at least obviously) giving up material.

staples13
PSV-1988 wrote:

Well, let's see.

Therefore, 2 g4 is not a good move. Also, 2...d5 seems like a very strong counter, adhering to the rule of countering a flank attack with a centre attack.

To be fair the same exact thing could be said and has been said by me about the Sicilian Defense 1.c5

Chessflyfisher
PSV-1988 wrote:

If I were that kid`s coach, I would "bench" him for being a jerk. As a TD, I would let the other kid move another piece and give the obnoxious kid a verbal warning to not do that again in any tournament that I was running with the understanding that I could impose stiffer penalties.

MatthewFreitag
TheLonePika wrote:

f3. f3 is almost always crap.

spicycaterpillar

Try to avoid moving wing pawns early in the game, especially when it weakens your kingside.

staples13
spicycaterpillar wrote:

Try to avoid moving wing pawns early in the game, especially when it weakens your kingside.

Yes that’s why 1. c5 is a bad move 

PSV-1988
staples13 wrote:
PSV-1988 wrote:

Well, let's see.

To be fair the same exact thing could be said and has been said by me about the Sicilian Defense 1.c5

1...c5 prevents 2 d4 so does help control the centre.

Elroch

Interestingly, although the king's indian attack is not a bad line against some black defences and there are other decent lines with e4 and g3, the eccentric 1. e4 e5 2. g3?! is inferior (if far less so than 2. g4??). The reason is the same move 2. ... d5, which provides black with the sort of advantage white might hope for with a good line. The leakiness of white's kingside is visible with this poorly timed second move as it is with 2. g4??