Forums

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Qc7

Sort:
AKJett

thats what i was thinking . where is pfren?

SmyslovFan
pfren wrote:
SmyslovFan wrote:

Subjectively, I expect Black is more ready to face 3.c3 Alapin ideas than 3.c4 Maroczy Bind plans.

It seems you haven't realized that 3.c4 e6 4.d4 cd4 5.Nxd4 a6 is an old Kan line which isn't giving black any trouble. So, white usually delays d2-d4 with 4.Nc3 etc, but still if Black plays ...b6, ...Bb7 and ...d6 we have a pretty standard hedgehog.

I find the way Black handled the opening in this game very instructive:

I did realise the transposition was possible, I didn't realise that it's considered to not give Black any trouble. I spent a few days trying to find information about this variation. In my own games, I have scored very poorly from that position.

I've had trouble playing the Black side of this position, especially when White follows the game Anand-Morozevich line. I think it looks good for white.

But I'm willing to learn. What did Morozevich do wrong in this game?  I was never thrilled with Moro's 10...Ne5, but I had a game as Black where I was suffocated after 10...Be7. Is there a model game for Black in this variation?

Regardless of whether 3.c4 is best for white, I don't think c3 is a panacea either though. Polgar was able to get a very comfortable position in the game I mentioned earlier.

SmyslovFan

I forgot to mention...

In 2006, Alexander Khalifman argued that White should play the Maroczy bind with Bd3 and f4 against the Paulsen-Kan in OFWAA 8. He argued that White has greater space and freer development. He suggested that White should be able to prove his advantage with careful planning rather than by a specific move order.

However, he recommended

which "emphasizes the unstable placement of his opponent's queen on c7, since Black has not managed yet to place his pawns on a6 and e6."