Forums

Aggressive Response to 4...Nf6 in the Scotch

Sort:
CHCL

I am talking about the Parham.

Ben_Dubuque

Whatup, Your play was good, its your opponents that is in question here.

CHCL
joeydvivre wrote:

Was that chess?  It looked a little like chess...I especially liked the part where the bishop was hanging on d4 for like 16 moves and nobody noticed. I liked move 16 when black can play Qxe4+ and win the world but both sides missed it.

Your post doesn't make sense. Re1?? was bad, but that is it.

CHCL

Qxe4+ ?? Don't see it.

Rubidium
BruceBenedict wrote:

I like this tack.  If all else fails, use politics, race, and/or religion to get pointless threads locked.

Bruce Benedict posts some of my favorite quotes of all times.

And by the way, Gavinator:

The Ruy is... Solid. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. The Ruy gets closed games where you're not doing much. Beginners should play something like the Italian game, nice and open, let's them castle, then get to the midgame. Then they can start making mistakes, and learning from them, and getting better.-Gavinator

So why don't you play the Italian?

The_Gavinator

Because 3...Nf6 4. Ng5 pwns black's face off, but after 3...Bc5 it's usually a giuoco pianissimo, which literally means "quietist game".

Ben_Dubuque

also the "quitest game" tha is a contradictary statement, look at the games where morphy played against it.

The_Gavinator

No actually it's called the quietist game because it is the quietist game, just because one of the best players of all time destroyed tons of players that were worse then him while using that opening doesn't make it aggressive.

Rubidium

3...Nf6 4.Ng5:

Morphy had some faith in black's line: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1224561

And 3...Bc5, what's wrong with an opening with a strange name?

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1132699

Rubidium

By the way, it is aggressive. I get the feeling you don't care about positional play, open lines, active piece play, and just care about attack.

The_Gavinator

I don't see what putting games of world champions crushing weaker players proves TBH.

The_Gavinator

Yes, but they are all stronger than you too... They are stronger than any of us, that is why they're world champions...

The_Gavinator

I'm not a world champion chess player, and in that 3... Bc5 game white runs into problems if black plays Nxe4.

Rubidium

I didn't say they were weaker. 

Here is a recommendation for the King's Indian Attack (and with a name that has attack in it, Gavinator should appreciate it):

"Club players and home enthusiasts often ask me to suggest an opening system for white which is safe, yet aggressive, and does not require a superb memory and months of intense learning. In such cases, I invariably recommend the King's Indian Attack. In this system white's first four or five moves are fixed (1.Nf3, 2.g3, 3.Bg2, 4.0-0, 5.d3) and white can develope in isolation, without devoting any attention at all to how black is proceeding. In the middle game White has plenty of opportunity to unleash an attack based on either c4, or e4, advancing in the center..."

Raymond Keene, Complete Book of Beginning Chess 

CHCL

The reason it was called the quiet game and quietest game was because they were comparing them to the King's Gambit.

Eris_Discordia
The_Gavinator wrote:

Because 3...Nf6 4. Ng5 pwns black's face off, but after 3...Bc5 it's usually a giuoco pianissimo, which literally means "quietist game".

Have you tried playing the Italian Gambit 4.d4

The_Gavinator

I know I would be fine, but it's not very aggressive, as I said it is called the quietist game.

Ben_Dubuque

The KG is far from an automatic loss for white when played, if there is a line that outright refutes it, then please post it, you could make millions.

The KG may give black shot's at equality, but he must know the theory, White has great attacking possibilites with the open lines he creates, and the Kingside isn't as weak as it seems.

Rubidium
whatupyodog2 wrote:
CHCL wrote:

The reason it was called the quiet game and quietest game was because they were comparing them to the King's Gambit.

The Kg is automatic loss if played right by black.

How did you mess up?

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=54026322

Rubidium
The_Gavinator wrote:

I know I would be fine, but it's not very aggressive, as I said it is called the quietist game.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1271123

Plenty of open lines.

This forum topic has been locked