Forums

Beginners should learn e4/e5 openings first

Sort:
TitanCG

After 1.e4 e6 2.e5 2.c5 White may never play d4 and get pawns in the center. Meanwhile Black can attack the practically isolated e-pawn over and over again. Maybe you will like the exchange variation better.

bean_Fischer
kikvors wrote:
bean_Fischer schreef:
DrCheckevertim wrote:

Why do you believe e4/e5 leads to disaster?

There are so many reasons. As White, can you play Italian, Scotch, Ruy, 4 knights, gambits, etc? And a bunch of openings that Black doesn't reply e5. If you can, you deserve high rating.

As Black, What if white play KG? Are you prepared with your refutation?

When you get to 1600, there are many good players at that level. Can you survive all of them?

That's not an argument -- all openings have lots of variations. You don't explain why the variations after 1.e4 e5 are more disastrous than those of any other openings.

And what 1600 players do is in my view quite irrelevant to the discussion, because 1600 players are either beginners or players who didn't learn chess properly. If you did learn chess properly and are not a beginner, then you'll be way better than 1600.

Are there top players who never played 1.e4 e5?

I have said whaever your argument, you can't change my belief. I will not play e4e5 if not forced by a thematic tournament.

Top players can play anything they want.You don't have to tell them what they should or shouldn't play. You are not there yet.

I have played those games with e4/e5, where I was crushed by

I suppose you learn chess properly. Do you think you can better rating? Maybe it's because you play e4e5 but don't get higher rating.

If opponents to play, play my game: Sicilian, French, and many other openings that I can use not to play their e4e5.

bean_Fischer

I want to make it clear. It's your choice to play e4e5. If you like an open tactical game, then you can play e4e5. Chess is for fun.

Play your game, not somebody else. I have found that I like to play positional game. I save my tactical game for my opponent who challenge me to open my closed game. Well, sometimes I open the game myself for my tactical.

Fevly_P

well .. e4-e5 will starts a tactical playing style (attacking,combination,sacrifice,etc) from both side when it comes to the middle game so it takes more attention.

DrGoblin

I've had a huge amount of success and improvement playing e4 e5. It's solid, allows Black (and White) to play energetically out of the opening, both sides get exposed to a wide variety of setups and pawn structures. This last one is key. Black has to know how and when to favorably change the pawn structure, or he gets overrun. But if he times it well, there are a lot of attacking possibilities available for Black.

Mikewrite

I'm new and was told to start with the London System (1. d4), since it is pretty easy to learn and doesn't require too much variation in response to whatever the opponent does. As a newbie I like it for that reason. If the opponent responds with d5, then I might change to Queen's Gambit. If e5, then I try to go with Englund Declined (though I don't really know what I'm doing there).

With all that said, maybe I'll check out some 1. e4 openings. Maybe French...or Vienna? Any recommendations?

DrGoblin
Mikewrite wrote:

I'm new and was told to start with the London System (1. d4), since it is pretty easy to learn and doesn't require too much variation in response to whatever the opponent does. As a newbie I like it for that reason. If the opponent responds with d5, then I might change to Queen's Gambit. If e5, then I try to go with Englund Declined (though I don't really know what I'm doing there).

With all that said, maybe I'll check out some 1. e4 openings. Maybe French...or Vienna? Any recommendations?

Given your rating, I would say to stay away from the French and Vienna for now. Both become sharp and theoretical fast. Stick to the London (it's played at the highest level, so not a bad opening by any means). Watch a video (youtube is fine) to see how to refute the Englund Gambit. It's pretty easy. 

For Black, against e4, play the Caro-Kann. Against d4, try the Slav. Both are solid, and that's what you need right now.

Warning: Stay away from the Sicilian!

darkunorthodox88

its a myth from the old days and class player dads teaching their kids to play that wont die off. 1.e4 e5 for black at the scholastic level is often asking for trouble.  fried liver is a headache (in fact in my scholastic days the top school in our district snatched points like crazy  fried livers alone, although they had 2-3 players who were also decent.) and they are subtleties like how to handle nxe5, +d4 pins, or harassment of your c5 bishop by c3, d4 and so on

more important is to give openings to your weaker players that give them acceptable positions to keep them interested. and not be blown off by frustration of dealing with a magic kit of annoying resources white can unleash with an italian agaisnt an unsuspecting player.

not what i recommend for most but 1.b6 at the earliest levels worked really well for me, because despite it being a hypermodern defense, the plans were easy. develop your fianchetto keep pressuring the center with piece develop, use your d  and c pawns to add more pressure and play from there. The structure is also super sturdy. no fried liver, no scholar's mate, and white who knows almost nothing had to think on his own.

Mikewrite
DrGoblin wrote:

Watch a video (youtube is fine) to see how to refute the Englund Gambit. It's pretty easy. 

Thanks. I watched a quick video and just played against an Englund Gambit. Took out the queen and got a resignation in the first few turns.

chssbgnr
I watch a lot of Chess lessons on YouTube. Nobody talks about black response when the annoying e4 pawn advances to e5. Anybody nice enough to teach a beginner beginner like me lol.
DrGoblin
chssbgnr wrote:
I watch a lot of Chess lessons on YouTube. Nobody talks about black response when the annoying e4 pawn advances to e5. Anybody nice enough to teach a beginner beginner like me lol.

What opening are you referring to? Alekhine's defense?

Chr0mePl8edSt0vePipe
My ideology is to choose an opening that you think sounds cool or looks cool when you’re choosing your first opening ever. Two reasons: you don’t know your playing style yet so that doesn’t matter and you want to play an opening you will enjoy. Ex: I chose the French as my first opening because I thought it sounded cool and looked cool on the board. It might not have been the best for learning but atleast I enjoyed it. I think it is better for a beginner to enjoy the opening he plays then hate playing e4 e5 positions and then quit chess because he thinks he doesn’t like chess but it’s really just because he’s not enjoying his e5 games.
Stil1

Old thread, but to answer the OP's question: the main point of teaching beginners e4-e5 games is that the ideas in them can be quite simple, and easy to understand.

White plays e4, occupying the center and opening a diagonal for his king bishop (and queen). (This teaches the value of central pawn occupation.)

Black responds in kind.

White develops his knight, attacking the e5 pawn. (This teaches concept of developing a piece, with a tactical purpose).

Black develops his queen knight, defending his pawn (This teaches the concept of developing a piece to defend a piece or pawn.)

White develops his bishop to attack black's knight (this teaches the concept of attacking the defender).

And so on, and so forth ... the moves go on and on, each move with a concrete and specific, explainable purpose.

Such openings are highly instructive and relatively easy to understand, especially for those who have never played a chess opening before (true beginners).

The value in them is that most of the moves are forced, or forcing. Every action with an equal and opposite reaction.

I don't play either side of the Ruy Lopez anymore, but the Spanish game taught me a lot, as a beginner.

B1ZMARK

When I was a beginner and never studied, I played e4e5. I didn’t really improve, probably because I didn’t study, but when I did study, I found that I enjoy other positions better. Usually stuff like the alekhines defense.

It was more fun for me at least, which encouraged me to learn more.