Best chess opening?

Awesome12009

OK, I recently became level 900,and I know that now I would have to face against tougher opponents, so before playing I would like to ask, WHAT IS THE BEST CHESS OPENING and how to counter them. Thanks! 

BlunderousWilliam

I don't know about the best chess opening, but I can tell you some of the simplest and most effective openings for your level. Around your level, I found the most success in the London System, English Opening, and the King's Indian Openings. However I would strongly suggest that you learn these more classical openings first. Here's a great article I found on this topic: https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-best-chess-openings-for-beginners

BlunderousWilliam

Often times, different openings are effective on different level players, so there is no best opening. It's also common for a player to prefer playing a specific opening rather than another, because it fits their skillset. For example, I strongly dislike the Caro Kann Defense, and prefer using the French Defense, even though it has a bad reputation among many players.

Awesome12009

Uh thks? 

GGuessMyName

he's joking

ThrillerFan

Yeah, do not listen to bozos and morons like post 4.

 

Posts 2 and 3 give you far more legitimate advice.  Different openings work for different people.

 

There is no absolute best opening, but there are a FINITE number of good and mediocre openings, and the rest are bad.  Finding the best opening for yourself is like dating women!

 

For example, "best" for White is either e4, d4, c4, or Nf3 on move 1.  Nobody can argue against those 4 moves.  If anyone says 1.e4 is way better than 1.d4 or 1.Nf3 is way better than 1.c4, they are getting their own personal opinions so tied up in a wad that they view the chess world way too narrowly.  It would be like looking for a woman and saying she must be White, Blonde, exactly 5 foot 6 inches, under 100 pounds, exactly 23 years old, Lutheran Missouri Sinead, and eats Froot Loops for breakfast every morning, and does not see that there are many nice women out there that do not fit that mold!

 

Same goes for chess - broaden the mind and realize that there is no best, but there might be a best for you, and there are many bad apples out there, just like women.  1.g4 is like dating that drunken high school drop out that is now selling drugs and robbing convenience stores!

 

So stick with the good ones, but they are equally good:

 

White: 1.e4, 1.d4, 1.c4, 1.Nf3

B vs e4: 1...e5, Sicilian, French, Caro-Kann

B vs d4:  QGA/QGD/Slav/Semi-Slav, Kings Indian, Nimzo/Queen's Indian, Benko/Benoni, Grunfeld, Dutch.

 

Like I said, the good ones are finite, and lots of bad apples, but no one is best, just like women!

Dsmith42

It depends on what you're trying to do.  If you want a closed game with limited attacking lines, usually 1. d4 is good.  If you want an open game with lots of attacking lines, 1. e4 is good, as is 1. Nf3.

Generally, open games will help a player at your level improve more quickly, but they can lead to disasters in the opening if your opponent knows the opening better than you.

I tend to discourage young players from trying to play "safe" positional openings simply because their tactics haven't developed enough for them to know how to hold together those positional setups.  Even the most closed position contains pawn weaknesses that a strong, patient attacker can exploit.

RussBell

Chess Openings Resources for Beginners and Beyond...

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/openings-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

Moonwarrior_1
ThrillerFan wrote:

Yeah, do not listen to bozos and morons like post 4.

 

Posts 2 and 3 give you far more legitimate advice.  Different openings work for different people.

 

There is no absolute best opening, but there are a FINITE number of good and mediocre openings, and the rest are bad.  Finding the best opening for yourself is like dating women!

 

For example, "best" for White is either e4, d4, c4, or Nf3 on move 1.  Nobody can argue against those 4 moves.  If anyone says 1.e4 is way better than 1.d4 or 1.Nf3 is way better than 1.c4, they are getting their own personal opinions so tied up in a wad that they view the chess world way too narrowly.  It would be like looking for a woman and saying she must be White, Blonde, exactly 5 foot 6 inches, under 100 pounds, exactly 23 years old, Lutheran Missouri Sinead, and eats Froot Loops for breakfast every morning, and does not see that there are many nice women out there that do not fit that mold!

 

Same goes for chess - broaden the mind and realize that there is no best, but there might be a best for you, and there are many bad apples out there, just like women.  1.g4 is like dating that drunken high school drop out that is now selling drugs and robbing convenience stores!

 

So stick with the good ones, but they are equally good:

 

White: 1.e4, 1.d4, 1.c4, 1.Nf3

B vs e4: 1...e5, Sicilian, French, Caro-Kann

B vs d4:  QGA/QGD/Slav/Semi-Slav, Kings Indian, Nimzo/Queen's Indian, Benko/Benoni, Grunfeld, Dutch.

 

Like I said, the good ones are finite, and lots of bad apples, but no one is best, just like women!

+1 lol

Moonwarrior_1

Joking aside, Queens gambit is a nice opening for white while French for black. I say this because these are my lead favorite to go agaisnt. I personally really like the Vienna and Sicilian but I wouldn’t study the Sicilian till you get to 1400+. At this level don’t worry about memorizing hundreds of lines, learn the ideas of an opening such as where should your pieces go and what’s the central ideas.

Moonwarrior_1

Caro kann is also good and you could start playing it now will little study.

byyb137

Owen's defense. Ok maybe this sounds retarded but listen for a second. 

Awesome12009
byyb137 wrote:

Owen's defense. Ok maybe this sounds retarded but listen for a second. 

 

Ok, it seems like an good opening as the bishop is attacking the rook at a1, thanks for sharing.

Awesome12009
Moonwarrior_1 wrote:

Joking aside, Queens gambit is a nice opening for white while French for black. I say this because these are my lead favorite to go agaisnt. I personally really like the Vienna and Sicilian but I wouldn’t study the Sicilian till you get to 1400+. At this level don’t worry about memorizing hundreds of lines, learn the ideas of an opening such as where should your pieces go and what’s the central ideas.

If white plays queens gambit, I will counter it with Slav 

chessmood_fan

https://chessmood.com/blog/what-are-the-best-openings-in-chess 

 

Spongebob6
The dancing queen is very good. Look it up on YouTube.
Chess_Night5030

I would recommend the Nakhmanson Gambit as there are a lot of winning opportunities and is a draw if black finds the very hard to find best line (this is an opening for white that comes out of the Italian Game after Nf6). This opening actually beat Magnus Carlsen, and Vampire Chicken (a human streamer) used it to beat Stockfish 12 (latest version of Stockfish which is the best chess computer). The reason why you may not have heard of it is because it's a new opening that came out in 2020. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like playing gambits, because you do need to sac, even though you get it back later. If you want a full course on the Nakhmanson Gambit, I'd recommend watching my 15 minute video that explains every single lines. If you prefer to watch someone else, then I can also give you some videos from other people, though I don't know anyone except for me who did a full walkthrough in one video. Here's the video if you want to watch it:

isjatt

London op

Awesome12009
isjatt wrote:

London op

Unless the two Kings each defend their pawn with the Knight, there is no way that london can happen but thks anyway

Awesome12009
Chess_Night5030 wrote:

I would recommend the Nakhmanson Gambit as there are a lot of winning opportunities and is a draw if black finds the very hard to find best line (this is an opening for white that comes out of the Italian Game after Nf6). This opening actually beat Magnus Carlsen, and Vampire Chicken (a human streamer) used it to beat Stockfish 12 (latest version of Stockfish which is the best chess computer). The reason why you may not have heard of it is because it's a new opening that came out in 2020. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like playing gambits, because you do need to sac, even though you get it back later. If you want a full course on the Nakhmanson Gambit, I'd recommend watching my 15 minute video that explains every single lines. If you prefer to watch someone else, then I can also give you some videos from other people, though I don't know anyone except for me who did a full walkthrough in one video. Here's the video if you want to watch it:

Woah, many thks