Forums

Defences to the Parham Attack

Sort:
shepi13
Sungolian wrote:
shepi13 wrote:

1 of the draws was Nakamura drawing a player 200+ points below him.

7... a6 ½-½, Nakamura (2657) vs. Filippov (2466)

To be fair, most people are rated 200+ points below Nakamura...

And Nakamura shouldn't draw them with white if he is playing a good opening.

The_Gavinator

Lol shepi, for someone who doesn't want to spend time on this, you seem to like going through my database a lot. Why don't you go through yours too and see then?

shepi13

Granted, overall the rating difference isn't that much I guess, white averages about 2240 while black averages almost exactly 2200. However, one or two 500 point differences swing the DB more than ten 50 point differences.

CHCL
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

black won both games not looks like whites pressure if he had any to begin with died down and blacks development is enough to put him ahead by about a pawn

How did all of the games go? Could you show us the games?

binblaster

I have the ultimate way of stopping the Parham attack: simply answer 1. e4 with 1. ...e6

nameno1had
binblaster wrote:

I have the ultimate way of stopping the Parham attack: simply answer 1. e4 with 1. ...e6

Its akin to 1.e4 e5  2.Qh5 Nf6......it just totally screws up their plans....they might as well leave the queen on the last rank, after you play the sicilian or put it back after my choice of move....I usually play the Rat though...but Nf6 is still doable. It is usually my third move instead of my second, but I could switch the order. I am pretty sure someone already tried this against me already and it back fired on them.

binblaster

After 1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 I am under no obligation to play 2. ...e5 . I would much rather play 2. ...c5 

CHCL
Sungolian wrote:
binblaster wrote:

After 1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 I am under no obligation to play 2. ...e5 . I would much rather play 2. ...c5 

Then white gets a great game via Nf3, g3, Bg2, and so on. So you might as well force white to enter the delayed Parham.

Actually, White enters a theoretical line of the Sicilian that is fine for Black.

shepi13
2...c5 720
42.6% 24.9% 32.5%

Seems like typical opening results. I'll admit that it scores better for white than the parham does.

shepi13

Even in Gavinator's DB the ruy scores better than the parham, and his has to be the worst DB.

Ruy - scores 55.7%

Parham - scores 52.95%

And that is the only database where white scores more than 50% with the parham.

Note - % is not win %. Instead it is the % score.

% = Win % + (1/2 x Draw %)

shepi13

That's through move 5, so Gavinator can't say it includes people who don't know any lines.

shepi13

Chess tempo

Parham score = 37.5%

Ruy score = 56.6%

CHCL

I think they are starting to believe us. The Parham is bad.

shepi13

Chess.com

Parham score = 12.5%

Ruy score = 57.25%

shepi13

chessgames.com

ruy score = 56.8%

Parham score = 36.4%

shepi13

CS, add one more move at least. At least one of the white wins was 2... Ke7.

shepi13

That's why, I only used the players who played 2... Nc6

Also, ruy I was going mainline through 5. 0-0.

Without a paid membership I can't go any further on the parham, there aren't enough games.

shepi13

All of the other DB's except chessgames.com I went through 5. 0-0 and 5. Ne2.

shepi13

I don't like it either, but when I went through 3. Bb5 and 2. Qh5 Gavi was complaining that low rated players were skewing the DB's.

The_Gavinator
[COMMENT DELETED]