Forums

Easiest opening to learn for beginners ..

Sort:
Scottrf

Excellent post Bankwell.

FLchessplayer

Bankwell - obviously - came in here to sound off and look foolish, in this regard, he succeeded magnificently. 

Scottrf
FLchessplayer wrote:

Bankwell - obviously - came in here to sound off and look foolish, in this regard, he succeeded magnificently. 

No, I just don't think people got the intent of his post.

AugieFreebird

I suspect it's BS, but it's a tidy little piece of advertising.

Business rule #1, there's always profit in being there to provide water to the thirsty crowd.

madhacker

I'm not saying I'm definitely right here, and I'm open to other ideas. Plus I only coach juniors and don't have any experience with novice adults. But...

I find from experience that the best approach is to allow them to choose their own openings (within reason, if they play something completely daft I would suggest them changing it) and then teach them to play those chosen openings well.

Rationale: if they personally like their opening, then they are more likely to want to learn it, and will pay more attention to improving. If they feel the opening is imposed on them, they are more likely to just go through the motions of pretending to learn it, whilst actually all they are doing is memorising sequences of moves without trying to understand what's actually going on.

Michael-G

IMO, I don't think that is the right method.The reason is that before you learn to play, let's say Dutch, you have first to learn to play Queen's Gambit.If you don't , you will have a huge gap in your education that eventually will kick in.

A junior chessplayer is like a kid.If you want him to be "strong" you have to "feed" him correctly and not let him "eat" what he likes.Later when he can judge  , he can decide about his "food" but at his first steps he has to be guided closely because the point is not to understand an opening.The point is to understand chess, that is what many forget(I'm talking generally).

RichColorado
FLchessplayer wrote:

There are quite a few broken links in the above lesson ... if I get enough demand, I will post the corrected links here. 

If there are broken links, then post it, even if there isn't a huge demand.

I know I would like it.

Sred

pfren, FLchessplayer: you both have to work seriously on your sense of humor!

Sred

Well pfren, maybe I'm a bit retarded, but I found it kind of funny. Smile

Sred
pfren wrote:

I just teach them playing chess, not memorizing variations.

Back on topic: what's wrong with using a system for a beginner? It's not about memorizing lines, but about reaching a playable middle game without putting much effort in the study of openings.

I'm quite a newbie myself, and I find playing the KIA just suits me well - but I keep hearing from masters that I shouldn't.

Scottrf

I get the impression you've never found anything funny pfren, except maybe a dubious chess move.

The_Gavinator

Bankwell, I get it too.

OldHastonian
pfren wrote:

A beginner should learn opening theory as deeply as move five.

Mr. Bankwell is a famous peronality- nephew of dr. Jerkyll. You should treat him with more respect.

Are you sure Bankwell is a Mr?

Michael-G

Do trolls have a gender?Even if they do , it doesn't really matter.They are  an insult for either gender.

Y_Ddraig_Goch
FLchessplayer wrote:
... this is all stuff that I have heard before ... First of all, I have been taching chess for like 35+ years ... And I vehemently disagree with many of the "standards" of chess teaching ... With all due respect, this is a boatload of traditional nonsense ... As I said previously, I have been teaching all my life. Many of the "norms" of conventional, traditional chess instruction ... strike me as absurd ...

... my own personal system in chess ... is unique, and differs from both what most Americans teach and the "Russian School of Chess." ...

... It sounds like - to me - that you have very little experience actually taking young charges to a tournament, where I have done it more times than I can count ...

I'm neither a chess teacher nor a strong player, but I can recognise a fallacious argument when I see one.

You can't legitimatley back up your "unique ... personal system" by appealing to your years of teaching experience and the number of students you've coached, while simultaneously criticising "many of the 'norms' of conventional, traditional chess instruction" which "strike [you] as absurd" and as "a boatload of traditional nonsense", because those norms have come from ... wait for it ... many, many other chess teachers spending many, many years teaching and coaching many, many students.

If something is a "norm", then it implies the majority of chess teachers and coaches who have just as much as experience as you do have agreed with it - it wouldn't have become a "norm" if they hadn't. Unless you have some kind of special experience which has been generally unavailable to other chess teachers, then if your "unique ... personal system" diverges from "conventional wisdom" it actually contradicts what experience has generally shown to be best, so you can't appeal to your own experience to back it up.

Of course, it's still possible that you're right - perhaps you've stumbled upon the one right way to teach which has eluded other chess teachers throughout history. People rail against conventional wisdom in all kinds of fields, and while most of the time they're wrong, every now and again someone is right and conventional wisdom changes after a period of resistance. If, in 10 to 15 years' time, your system has become the majority view, then it'll show you were right. But, in this case, it still wouldn't be the mere amount of your experience which was responsible for the superiority of your system, but rather some kind of personal genius.

I suspect that the reality is that brand new players are going to play badly whether you teach them openings or not, that there are as many different good ways of teaching as there are combinations of teachers and students, and that many, many different ways of teaching rank beginners are probably just as good as each other. If a beginner enjoys the game, plays a lot, and gets quality instruction of some kind then they are likely to improve beyond recognition in those first couple of years regardless of the details of that instruction, so it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the scheme of things. The overwhelming majority of beginners are not going to become grandmasters, so teaching them what they enjoy and what they are interested in is probably going to be a better approach in most cases than making them strictly follow some system or other.

FLchessplayer

This discussion has been hijacked. 

IM P, I understand your idea of not teaching a beginner more than 5 moves, but I still would not call that coaching, in a real sense. 

I remember a local coach here in Pensacola. He passed away a few years back, but he was very well-known in this area. (He coached very young boys that played football.) I could watch him for hours, he would go over the same point 10 times, if that is what it took his charges to understand. Then he would draw up simple plays, and actually walk them through the entire process. It is no wonder that his teams won so many "Pop Warner" championships over the years. 

fireballz

colle is great!

Michael-G

NM FLchessplayer

The fact that you teach 35 years doesn't mean you do it right.

I have met a lot that teach even more and do it the wrong way.

The fact that Botvinnik agrees with pfren and considers opening completely useless for beginners gives us 2 controversial conclusions:

1)Either you are right or

2)Botvinnik is right

What do you think?

Scottrf

To be fair, there are probably a number of GM's who don't consider openings useless for a beginner. It's not a black and white subject, I certainly think there are better areas once a beginner knows the principles though.

Michael-G

Opening is useless for beginners.The number of GMs that don't consider it useless are the ones that get paid for it.It is well known that the easy way to get easy and lot of  money from begginers is to promise them that you will give them a "killer opening repertoire".The same is true for books also.