Forums

Fianchetto Benoni question...

Sort:
LavaRook

So I've switched to a 1.d4 Catalan repertoire but the problem with the move order 1.d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3.g3 seems to be the move 3...c5. I can't find a way to deal with it without feeling that I'm worse as white.

I know how to play against the Benoni if its played right away on move 1 or 2 (I dont play the Fianchetto variation then) but this line is annoying me

4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5!? 6. Bg2 d6 and so on....

It seems like Black has gotten in b5 for free and I prefer his position. Normally, the Benoni is very cramped but here Black seems to be very comfortable with ...b5 in already.

Is there some way around this or is it just one of those things I will have to accept as a Catalan player. I suppose I could start with 3.Nf3 but the main point behind 3.g3 was to avoid QID lines.

LavaRook

Yea thats the variation

Tricklev

Rainbowrising, I understand that there is quite alot of sand in there, so I recommend you start straight away. Spend atleast 2 hours in the shower, trying to get all that sand out of your vagina.

LavaRook

Wow what a crazy line! Seems fun to play though...

LavaRook

Just because Black has so many options doesn't necessarily mean he has equalized though. IMO, the Catalan exposes you to many different types of positions, which is good. Its may not be as crazy tactical as the KG but its a good balance.Tactics are known to arise from good positions.

This fianchetto Benoni line is quite tactical as shown by Pfren's lines.

The Catalan is definately not something like the London System. Now that isn't particularly very tactical at all....

Ambassador_Spock
Benoni Counter-Blast is scanning for Benoni players.