Forums

How do I crush the Alekhine Defense (1.e4 Nf6)??

Sort:
XF11

With the transition to the Vienna game. Vienna is not dull start! Many combination possibilities and very dangerous for untrained start Laughing

Adriandmen

I've always underestimated the Alekhine defense, until now. Doesn't seem to be easy to win... Frown

XF11

Adriandmen : Alekhine defense is solidWink

Adriandmen

Yes, XF11, Yes indeed!! Laughing

wiebelenstra

I'm an over 2100 elo player and I play my whole chesslife the Alekhine with black. I never lose with the Alekhine because all my opponents are not familiar with this opening and they all try the stuff as mentioned above: trying to get an attack just from the opening game.

That's a trap against a solid player with good knowledge of this opening.

The Alekhine is an unsound opening because the resulting middlegame is mostley rubbish. So play the normal highways of this opening into the middlegame: the problem there is that black gets a lack of space for his pieces because he has too little a place for them. It's there in the middlegame you can strangle your opponent.

In the contrary the endgames are mostley good for black, because the black position normally has no weaknesses.

So develop your pieces, make the normal moves with the pawns and wait what the middlegame you will bring.You will not be disappointed.

Adriandmen

Thank you Wiebelenstra. Never knew that you shouldn't try to get an attack from the opening. Thanks a lot in advance,

~~ Adriandmen ~~ Cool

Adriandmen

Well, I think I found the answer to a good preparation for the Alekhine Defence. Thank you all for helping me Wink.

KevinTheSnipe

many books recommend the exchange voronezh variation, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alekhine%27s_Defence section on variations.

C-Crusher

I like this System. NOTE: there is no known refutation to any opening.

gabrielzahradka

The Alekhine Defense usually has two general endings relative to Black's standards. Since this defense is risky and provocative, black dares White to overextend the e-file pawn, thus being provocative (Black hopes that the pawn will become subject to later capture). However, this defense also allows White to establish a huge advantage in time and space, as well as a firm control of the center the longer the game goes. If Black's plan is successful, whatever center pawn structure White decides to set up will crumble (giving Black powerful control of the center). However, if it fails (White does not overextend the pawn), Black will end up cramped and passive. It all depends of whether White advances the pawn. Personally, I would play 2. Qe2 and then continue to castle queenside. However, when I castle this way in this defense, I do not move out my d-file pawn and develop my queen's bishop via fianchetto (moving out the b-file pawn and moving to b1). This usually keeps my king safe and once the queen moves, the other bishop develops, and the knights move out somewhere in the mix. Doing this, be careful and grab some space, and never hesitate to do trades for space. Hope this helped!

gabrielzahradka

Hold on...  let me correct myself. Not b1, b2.

Nickolajevic
ponz111 wrote:

Your opponent who plays the Alekhine will have an advantage over you as he knows the opening and it will take you [or anyone] quite a while to learn how to play against it...

Do not be surprised if he wins a lot until you start to get the "hang' of this opening.  You can always chicken out and play 1. e4  Nf6  2. Nc3

that is not really true, as 2. Nc3 invites perhaps the craziest line in 2. Nc3 d5 3. e5 d4 4. exf6 dxc6 5. fxg7 cxd7+ and we have an endgame. or trade everything on d5 with 3 exd and have equal endgame, exactly what alekhine players want

mpaetz

If there was a sure method to crush Alekhine's Defense, it would have disappeared from GM play many years ago. As you seem to be worried about it, just play one of the more conservative lines, don't try to overwhelm your opponent immediately.

DasBurner

@B1ZMARK