Forums

Looking for 1900+ USCF/FIDE Training Partner!

Sort:
Bossologist

Hello Everyone!

I am a 2100-2200 FIDE player looking for someone to prepare openings with. I have been able to swindle wins up to this point by playing very stupid things. However, even though my playing style has produced some fairly beautiful wins, I also want to start seriously learning openings. 

Part of the reason I have neglected this area of my chess game is because studying openings by myself is very boring. I just simply cannot get myself to pore over chess books or look at chess databases. I'd love to find a training partner (or multiple!) who would help me prep some openings and play some training games. We could come up with novelties, analyze lines, and discuss the main strategies. 

Basically, I'd help you prepare your openings, and you'd help me prepare mine. I'm mainly an e4 player. In response to e4, I usually play sicilian najdorf/dragon. In response to d4, I don't have a set response. I just play random things. I'd like to play slav/benko gambit. In response to c4, I play garbage like b5 or a6. 

Anyways, please let me know if you guys are interested. Just to show you guys my style of play, this is a game I played a few tournaments ago against some 2050 player. It was over pretty quickly because he didn't defend against the central pressure correctly.

Hope you enjoyed the game, and look forward to hearing from you!

-A.Z

EternalChess

Hey I am 1950 OTB let me know if your interested :)

Bossologist

Hi SerbianChessStar,

Of course I'm interested! What openings do you play/favor? We can work on anything really since I don't have a repertoire at all.

Immoney5252

nice game

Bossologist

Thanks immoney5252. That's the secret to beating 2000 players. You don't actually have to be good at chess or play the best moves. You just randomly sacrifice pieces for an attack and they usually work (maybe). 

bassosoolo

Being a class or two below I'm not the suitable sparring partner, but nevertheless, I can't help smiling when seeing Morra games, especially with those outrageous Nd5 sacs. I think Nd5 one move before leads to same kind positions, attack-wise?

chessmaster102

Im rated 1784 not in that range but I know slav lines pretty well and some Class As can vouch for me and I'm trying to learn the dragon myself so working with you on that can benefit us both let me know if your interested. 

Bossologist

Bassosoolo: I considered Nd5 one move beforehand, and I guess it would be very similar. Except in the actual game, black made the move b5, which is slightly weakining and doesn't do much for black. So I think if I played Nd5 immediately (without Re1), then exd5 exd5 nce7 Bb3 d6  Re1, the same position has been reached except black is a bit more compact and has Bg4 at the end. So I'd still play this position as white, but it'll be a bit harder to crack black's defense.

ChessMaster102, I don't really know how to add people on this website, but If you add me, I'd love to look over some lines with you!

chessmaster102

^ will do.

Bossologist

I look forward to it chessmaster102!

Also, if anyone has an affinity towards the cochrane gambit in the petroff, let me know! I think the cochrane gambit is quite possibly my favorite opening of all time :)

Playdane

Your game is one of the most awesome I've ever seen!

Besides the gambit pawn, you sacrifice two knights (I've never seen that before in any game!), you trade off when down material (very counter-intuitive), and to top it all off you sacrifice your bishop, allow the opponent back-rank threats by taking your queen and finally get away with it all because of a successful king-hunt.

Simply amazing!

I'm rated about 2100 FIDE (ELO) and would be happy to look at openings with you. My repertoire:

White: 1.e4 (King's Gambit, Open Sicilian, Panov-Botvinnik Attack and 3.Nc3 French Defence + normal development against other stuff).

Black: Sicilian (I switch between Najdorf, Dragon and 3.Qb6), Grünfeld. I don't have anything in particular against the English Opening or Réti.

Are you interested?

Quasimorphy

Very nice game.  Coincidentally, I just watched this youtube Morra Gambit book review earlier today.  You might enjoy seeing the game between Esserman and van Wely if you're not already familiar with it(the game starts at about 23:10). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNpIFSObkRg

waffllemaster

I bet it was fun to play that game :)  it was fun to watch, good job.

Bossologist

PlayDane: Thank you for your kind comments :) The actual game was pretty nerve-wracking and to be honest, was very glad when it was over. I would love to go over some Open Sicilian and Nc3 French stuff. I heard Nc3 French could get pretty exciting! Send me a friend request! I look forward to working with you!

Quasimorphy: Thanks! One of my friends actually has the Mayhem in the Morra book, and it's quite interesting. I just never got the time to really read it because...well I suck at reading chess books. I'll check out that video. Thanks for the link!

plutonia

Above is what I play against the Morra.

I'm much lower rated that what you need, I'm around 1700 OTB and much less in blitz but I studied/I'm studying a ton of theory on the Sicilian. I have a repertoire based on the Najdorf.

If you want to play some online game it should benefit both of us - me for sure :)

Da-Novelty

Kind of like your idea. How is it possible for us to study openings together. Am I missing something here? 

The opening repertoire is similar. I do play 1.e4 as white. As black against e4 is najdorf. The question is who should contribute what, how, when??

Are you talking about playing a training game in the openings chosen? Lots of questions sorry. Bottom line I am interested. It would benefit all.

Bossologist

Plutonia: Sounds good! Shoot me an online game and add me as a friend! 

Da-Novelty: I don't have much experience studying openings, but I was just looking for someone to discuss lines and test them out with. For example, let's say you play Evan's gambit. We'd look over evan's gambit lines in an analysis board, discuss how to play the middlegame/endgames, and then decide on a position in that opening to play from in a training game. If you're interested, I'd love to work with you!

chessmaster102

nice to see so many people joining. We should also post the times were avalible online. I'm on my christmas break so until Janurary 7th im free after 4pm (im playing in a tournament for the next 2 or 3 days and all rounds end at 3:30pm)

Bossologist

I know right? :) 

Since this is more of a long term thing, maybe I could consider starting some sort of group here on chess.com. That way, if one day someone is doing dragon prep, and someone else wants to join in, they can. Also, during the preparation/training sessions, I will be making pgn files so I don't forget what we discussed. With permission from whoever helped me make it, I could also post them in the group. 

I'm a college student and I'm also on christmas break till January 14th. Afterwards, I should be available in the afternoon at around 4-8 pm Central Time. Also depending if I finish my homework, I stay up pretty late playing chess from 12-3A.M

chessmaster102
Bossologist wrote:

I know right? :) 

Since this is more of a long term thing, maybe I could consider starting some sort of group here on chess.com. That way, if one day someone is doing dragon prep, and someone else wants to join in, they can. Also, during the preparation/training sessions, I will be making pgn files so I don't forget what we discussed. With permission from whoever helped me make it, I could also post them in the group. 

I'm a college student and I'm also on christmas break till January 14th. Afterwards, I should be available in the afternoon at around 4-8 pm Central Time. Also depending if I finish my homework, I stay up pretty late playing chess from 12-3A.M

I stay up late nights just like that on weekends. Once school starts back I,m not free until usually like 8:30-9pm (pretty busy with chores).The group idea sounds great !