Forums

Orangutang opening works wonders!

Sort:
Silver_N_Black

ok this isnt really about that but i figured if you knew enough about chess to know of that opening you would know which openings are best for amateur attacking players.  let me here which openings you recommend me studying! thanks.

mchmur

I read it was invented by polish and russia chess players, more for fun as a novelty,not quite for real game against advanced players. One of these players was Xavery Tartakower. But I dont remember where I read it.

truhusdh

Certainly the Sicilan Defence:

1.e4 c5

The Queen's Gambit:

1.d4 d5

2.c4

And maybe the English Opening:

1.c4

kwaloffer

Every amateur chess player believes he is an "attacking player", whatever that is, and the goal of every opening is to eventually get an attack, so everybody is just going to throw out some random openings in this thread.

DrSpudnik

I have found that if you play good chess (develop pieces, try to fight for the center, look for enemy plots and counter them...) the attacks will be there when you need them. If not, at least you won't lose. The opening is fairly irrelevant.

Silver_N_Black

well 4 out 5 good responses is better than what i expected. thanks all!

and to the guy who forgot he also was once an "amateur attacking player,whatever that is":

True_Beginner
mchmur wrote:

I read it was invented by polish and russia chess players, more for fun as a novelty,not quite for real game against advanced players. One of these players was Xavery Tartakower. But I dont remember where I read it.

If I'm not wrong, Tartakower called it when he had a match or tourney in my beloved Indonesia, as he saw it when he was at a zoo the day before.

1. b4!

madhacker
True_Beginner wrote:
If I'm not wrong, Tartakower called it when he had a match or tourney in my beloved Indonesia, as he saw it when he was at a zoo the day before.

1. b4!

The version of this I've heard goes like this: Tartokower went to the zoo and asked the orangutang what opening he should play in the game tomorrow. The orangutang then climbed halfway up the left hand side of his cage - and Tartokwer took this to mean 1.b4!

Could be true, who knows. But the move was known before then, he just gave it that name. Some people call it the Polish opening.

True_Beginner
madhacker wrote:
True_Beginner wrote:

1. b4!

The version of this I've heard goes like this: Tartokower went to the zoo and asked the orangutang what opening he should play in the game tomorrow. The orangutang then climbed halfway up the left hand side of his cage - and Tartokwer took this to mean 1.b4!

Could be true, who knows. But the move was known before then, he just gave it that name. Some people call it the Polish opening.

Maybe our opinions are better combined, as orangutans are only found in tropical countries.

Smile

DrSpudnik

I believe Orang-utan means, literally, "man of the forest" in Indonesian.

I don't think they play chess very well though, but they can rip your arms out if you take a pawn.

True_Beginner
DrSpudnik wrote:

I believe Orang-utan means, literally, "man of the forest" in Indonesian.

I don't think they play chess very well though, but they can rip your arms out if you take a pawn.

LOL.

But actually what you said is true.

helltank

Afterward Tartakower asked the Tiger what move he should play. The Tiger lunged at him and so Tartakower promoted his pawn on move 1.