Forums

Queen's gambit accepted e5 move

Sort:
xxvalakixx

Hello everybody!

I would like to get some information about the 3..e5 move in the queen's gambit accepted. So I know that white usually plays d4-d5-c4-cxd4 Nf3 to avoid the e5 move, but why is the e5 move worse for white then if black does not play it?

And now comes my question, what is wrong with e5 for white?

So my main question is what is wrong with d4-d5-c4-cxd4 e4-e5-d5?

Expertise87

With the 3.e3 move-order, 4.d5 is not good but 4.Bxc4 should give White some advantage. 3.e4 e5 is one of the most popular and critical lines in the entire QGA complex. 4.Nf3 is generally thought to be a better try than 4.d5. After 4.d5 Nf6 5.Nc3 b5 if anyone, Black has an advantage, probably.

SmyslovFan

3...e5 was seen in LaBourdonnais-McDonnell 1834. This is sometimes considered the first (unofficial) match for the world championship. There's an excellent article written by Razuvaev which discusses this line in depth.

Basically, white plays with an Isolated Queen's Pawn for dynamic chances, but Black's position is fully playable. Boris Alterman considers the critical lines to lead to equality. 

Here's one game that shows what White is hoping for. 6...Bd6, as played by Ivanchuk, is probably better than was seen in this game. Both 6...Be7 and 6...Bd6 were seen in the 1834 match!