Forums

shud i make a reperteor?

Sort:
ticcherr

like basicly shud i play the same moves everytime so if they play french i always play advance, they play sicialin i play the alupin, if they play Nc6 i play the roy nd if they play caro always play advance etc... shud i keep doin that for improvement or is it necesary for me to experiemnt with lots of openins? so i play french advance 1 game then french winorwer 2nd game then tarash next?

like u no how good chessmaster plays all kind of openin how do they learn so much i mena obv if theyre playina  propa game they got their repoeterie but if ur playin blitz online u can try out any openin?

thx for ur answer!

Fear_ItseIf

-google translate failed to recognise language-

9thEagle

This would be easier if I could understand your grammar . . . but it's basically personal preference. I prefer a set repertoire, which means that I'm much better at my openings than other players (because if I have a set line against the french that I've always played for 2000 games, I've had 2000 games practice with the opening I'll use next. If my opponent uses 10 different lines, depending on his mood, then he's only had 200 games practice). But if you are asking the question, you're probably not at a level where the opening determines the outcome of the game.

So it's a tradeoff between being well-rounded, and being really good at one line. I think it's more practical to be really good at one line, because each game is only going to use one line--knowing that both Nc3 and Nd2 are equally valid options doesn't really help you--you can only play one of those moves.

On the other hand, if you become known for your opening choice (like me), others will specifically study to play against it. I actually like that, because it helps me further my own knowledge about my opening.

And actually, not all masters change their openings up all the time (but yes, most do, to keep their opponents from preparing to face them ahead of time). Bobby Fischer was know for always playing the same opening. People have speculated that game 6 of Fischer vs Spassky (1972)--probably the most famous game of the match--was won in large part due to Spassky's shock at seeing Fischer play something besides 1.e4.

Conquistador

I read the title as "Should I make a meteor?".  Don't know how to make one to be honest.  Maybe we need to wait for some of our chess.com colleagues to weigh in on the topic.

Fear_ItseIf
9thEagle wrote:

(because if I have a set line against the french that I've always played for 2000 games, I've had 2000 games practice with the opening I'll use next. If my opponent uses 10 different lines, depending on his mood, then he's only had 200 games practice).

This I think is the best mentality, and honestly at our level how much does 'preparation' actually matter? Players will see the draw for the tournament the night before in most cases, which is not nearly enough time to prepare anything of significance to worry about.
Preparation is only really a problem at master level.

AndyClifton
Conquistador wrote:

I read the title as "Should I make a meteor?"

I believe that word in the title is actually a ellision of "meteorological reporter."  In other words, the OP is asking if he'd make a good weatherman.

ivandh

Can you point to a wall?

AndyClifton

And be so cheerful it's sickening?  Unendingly cheery and upbeat...yep, way too damn cheery.

AlCzervik
AndyClifton wrote:

And be so cheerful it's sickening?  Unendingly cheery and upbeat...yep, way too damn cheery.

Unless you're a weatherman in Hawaii.

heinzie

u shud lurn 2 uz da stndrd spellins okthxbai

AndyClifton

Don't listen to him though (they spell reich "rijk").

ThrillerFan

You should quit chess and take a class on Spelling and Grammar.

Jeez o Pete, Iz yur naim Dan Quayle?  R yu Dan Quayle's sun oar sumthin?

ThrillerFan
ivandh wrote:

Can you point to a wall?

Pointing finger up!

xxvalakixx

Are you really from the UK? Then what is this "orthography"? It is easy for me to understand by the way, just it is strange. You should play just a few openings, and become good in 2-3 openings, than to play 15 openings not so well. Below the grandmaster level opening theory is not important, so just have 2-3 openings what you can play well. (So 2-3 openings against e4, d4, and learn to play e4 or d4 well as white)

ticcherr

Ya thx for replyin... i thnk i shud jus play mor games nd then check wit engin nd book were i deveate nd go frm ther...

also i tend to play mor standard games nd even if i play  blitz later im gona play 10min blitz only for now...

macer75
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

-google translate failed to recognise language-

I translated to Chinese then translated back to Englsh:

Like shud I play is basically the same action every time so if they play French I always fight ahead, they play sicialin I play alupin, if they play NC6 I play Roy second If they play Carlow always beat me in advance, etc. .. shud have been up, improve, or for me necesary experiemnt with openins lot? So I play: France ahead of a game, and then a second and then tarash French winorwer game?

u the same without a good chess master is how to play various openin them how much I learned they got their spread if theyre playina game repoeterie, but if you are playing online blitz can try any openin, the Middle East and North OBV?

Thank you for your answer!

macer75

3 years later... this thread is still a classic, at least in my eyes.

Suman3

a classic is something people praise a lot but never reads.. :D

(Mark Twain,maybe,I'm not sure,quoting from memory)