Forums

What is this opening called?

Sort:
CoenJones

Can anyone tell me what this opening is called, because it is my favourite opening, and when people ask me what my favourite opening is I can't say! Thank you!

Erik15

tough to say what black play ?

e4 d6

d4 Nf6

Nd2 g6

Ngf3 Bg7

Be2  0-0

0-0   c6

=

trysts

Black's moves are necessary in order to determine the opening.

CoenJones

oh, ok. well, here are blacks moves:

trysts

It looks like the French defense, kinda', sorta', could beLaughing

SmyslovFan

This is a French Defense, by Transposition. Specifically, it's a French Tarrasch.

humbll

i think this has transposed into a french defense type of position...

CHCL

Yup, french. Although am I correct in assuming that white is better in the above diagram?

SmyslovFan

Trysts, you're right! The ECO code is C03. But it would take some strange moves to reach the Tarrasch:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd3 Bd6?! 4.Ngf3?!

trysts
SmyslovFan wrote:

Trysts, you're right! The ECO code is C03. But it would take some strange moves to reach the Tarrasch:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd3 Bd6?! 4.Ngf3?!

And I'm pretty typsy right now so that was a major triumph!Laughing

SmyslovFan

I found a game where two masters reached this position!

SmyslovFan

Manspider, if this is a position you strive to reach repeatedly, there are some serious problems:

While controlling the center with e4 and d4 is excellent, you have placed your two knights in a position where they defend each other, but block in the c1 Bishop. When the two knights defend each other like this, one is often "superfluous". It's not doing much that is active. 

Of course, there are many positions where this is good, but if you are trying to reach this in every game, you will not be able to get a good attack most of the time.

Consider either developing your N to c3 instead of d2. If not, at least get your B on c1 to a good square before you play N1d2.

humbll

this position LOOKS french BUT there is a key difference: after 1.e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3.Nd2 Bd6 4.Nf3 it is BLACKS move, whereas in this opening it is white to move.

humbll

ECO[  4]: D02.17
  NIC[  2]: QP.08.2
 LONG[  4]: Queen's Pawn: 2.Nf3 e6

this is the info FICS server gives when i played out these moves on a board and asked it for the ECO code. The LONG name is where it would say Sicilian Defense, Najdorf Variation, for instance. So technically this is an unnamed opening.

SmyslovFan

Humbl, unless FICS can handle transpositions, it's pointless asking FICS. It got stuck on the first two moves and didn't correct itself.

This is a French by transposition. 

Try this:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5

1.d4 e6 2.e4 d5.

It's the same position!

CoenJones

thanks everyone