Forums

What's Up with 1.e3?

Sort:
helltank

I've just played about 20 or so games(not here, on another site) online and 2 played 1.e3 and one odd fella played 1.d3. So...

What's up with this new trend? I've seen this on chess.com, chesscube.com, even instantchess.com. Can someone explain the idea behind 1.e3? Looks like 1.e4 but with less space. 

kikvors

The idea is to avoid opening theory and just play chess, I guess. 1.e3 and 1.d3 aren't great moves.

NimzoRoy

Here's some unasked-for-advice: always try looking your questions up in blogs and forums first, sometimes you'll find some answers already waiting for you  http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/could-1e3-be-a-legitamate-opening

BUT, since you already asked it's called "Van't Kruij's Opening" and it sucks, but to be a tad bit more charitable it's one way of playing something or other with "colors reversed" which is not such a bad idea (sometimes) for instance 1.c4 e5 is a SD reversed (in effect) where White has an extra move - it's playable for Black of course but it's certainly not bad for White.  1.e3 has little to recommend it IMHO even 1.a3 (Anderssen's Opening BTW) is probably more useful if White wants to try playing a Black Defense with an extra move - also known as "move in hand" and a3 actually comes in handy in some reversed openings)  

rooperi
NimzoRoy wrote:

Here's some unasked-for-advice: always try looking your questions up in blogs and forums first, sometimes you'll find some answers already waiting for you  http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/could-1e3-be-a-legitamate-opening...........

Just an hour or so ago I saw somebody get taken to task for resurrecting a dead thread. I guess you cant win.......

NimzoRoy
rooperi wrote:
NimzoRoy wrote:

Here's some unasked-for-advice: always try looking your questions up in blogs and forums first, sometimes you'll find some answers already waiting for you  http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/could-1e3-be-a-legitamate-opening...........

Just an hour or so ago I saw somebody get taken to task for resurrecting a dead thread. I guess you cant win.......

I wouldn't say that looking up an old (or "dead") thread = resurrecting it esp if you just want to read the comments without adding anything. I've also seen "...somebody taken to task for resurrecting a dead thread" but not by the staff or mods - so if anyone else has a problem with a "resurrected thread" that's just their problem IMHO

rooperi

Well, I respectfully disagreeLaughing

If I wanted to know about 1e3, and bothered to do a search, and found the most recent result a 23 month old thread, I'd have very little problem starting a new discussion.

I agree, for topics that come up daily or weekly, join a "Live" discussion, but geez, once every two years does not seem unreasonable to me....

helltank

So I just develop normally? Usually I play e5, d5, Nf6, Nc6, Bc5, Bf5, Qd7, 0-0-0(ie standard moves) and the opponent just screws around. 

Come to think of it 1.e3 usually gives me a very decent opening.

heinzie

1.e3 nowadays is more popularly known as the mouseslip variation

CaiusCaligula

1.e3 isn't very common, which can confuse the hell out of black if you come up against the right players. It also gives you a good shot at a quick early-game mate, which you can use if you indeed capitalize on the confusion. You can start light-square development early without putting too many pawns in threat, too. It's easy to transpose, which is the main recommendation with it, but it can be a lot of fun against the right opponents.

It also works as a psychological tactic in that the black player in online games usually thinks you misclicked, and can quickly punish the jerks who seek to capitalize on such a misplay, as they usually tend to get more aggressive early, whereas 1.e3 lets white play more defensively.

Does it work against people who usually know what they're doing and have a lot more knowledge of openings? Oh, god, no, you will get stomped playing the Van't Krujis regularly.

But it's fun and can cause your opponent the tiniest amount of hesitation, and all hesitation is a possible open spot.