Forums

Happy Birthday Boris Spassky!

Sort:
Aboba

A former world champion, to me, a living chess legend, the last person that played the great Bobby Fischer, Boris Spassky turned 76 today. I wish him a happy birthday and a long life. Here are some of my favorite games from him:

dashkee94

Happy birthday, Boris.  I would have loved to attend one of his lectures.

Scottrf

Nice thread.

RaleighRaine

Great thread, thanks! :)

Vease

A truly great player and a relatively normal human being for a World Champion! He's always going to be defined by the match with FIscher but his legacy should be more than that. Its a sign of his greatness that he came back to win the ultra tough Soviet championship the year after he lost to Fischer and was a candidate again in 1977 and 1980, not to mention winning a really strong Linares event in 1983. Its not true that the 1972 match destroyed two careers as is often said.

Sahist4

I wish a very happy birthday to one of my favorite chessplayers! Smile

atarw

hbd!

indurain

I had the privilege of attending one of Boris Spassky's talks/lectures at Trinity College Dublin.

The man is a great raconteur and a thorough gentleman.

Happy Birthday and good health to you, Boris!

dashkee94

indurain

Am I jealous; and what you say is what my friends have told me.  And this is a great thread.

Thanks, Aboba.

AndyClifton

Besides which, how many people ever had one of their games featured in a James Bond film? Laughing

dashkee94

Yeah, how cool is that?

indurain

Great to see Boris attending tournaments!

http://www.chessvibes.com/tal-memorial-nakamura-wins-the-blitz-full-pairings-now-known