Forums

I Should stop playing chess forever?

Sort:
Frederik_Louw

There are a few possible reasons for playing chess, in my opinion:

1. You play competitively in tournaments, to earn money off your wins. You play chess for a living. To be able to do this, you need to reach grand master level, usually.
  2. You want to reach a certain rating in chess, whether it be 1400, 1800, Master’s level, International Master, Grand master or whatever rating it may be. You may have a great feeling of accomplishment or pride when you reach your rating goals, though it could take a great number of years in your life to reach high ratings.
  3. You play chess because you genuinely enjoy playing chess. For you, playing chess is fun, and you enjoy it.
  4. You play chess for social reasons, in your school, work place, or a chess club. Playing chess in a social environment instead of playing it online could greatly enhance the fun factor of chess for you.

These are the only reasons i could think of to play chess. There are many reasons to play chess as you can see. If you believe there is no point in playing chess for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong in quitting chess altogether. It doesn’t make you less of a person for not playing chess, just remember that. I quit chess, as i couldn’t find a reason for playing chess anymore. I used to play it because it was fun for me, and i wanted to reach a certain rating, but within time, it became less fun to play, and reaching the rating i wanted became pointless to me. So i stopped playing chess, forever.

I hope my answer helps anyone whom cannot decide whether to continue playing chess or not.

Mike_Aronchuk
Seraphimity wrote:

Play for a love of the game not a love of winning.  If you get  to stuck on "oh man I have to win this game"  you will make single ply unelegant and obvious threats.  If you really do not like chess and are playing out of some family thing then by all means give it up.  But if you enjoy the game and truely love chess, then the second you forget about winning, you'll have just won.  

This is (Tal) the truth

SeniorPatzer
Frederik_Louw wrote:

There are a few possible reasons for playing chess, in my opinion:

1. You play competitively in tournaments, to earn money off your wins. You play chess for a living. To be able to do this, you need to reach grand master level, usually.
  2. You want to reach a certain rating in chess, whether it be 1400, 1800, Master’s level, International Master, Grand master or whatever rating it may be. You may have a great feeling of accomplishment or pride when you reach your rating goals, though it could take a great number of years in your life to reach high ratings.
  3. You play chess because you genuinely enjoy playing chess. For you, playing chess is fun, and you enjoy it.
  4. You play chess for social reasons, in your school, work place, or a chess club. Playing chess in a social environment instead of playing it online could greatly enhance the fun factor of chess for you.

These are the only reasons i could think of to play chess. There are many reasons to play chess as you can see. If you believe there is no point in playing chess for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong in quitting chess altogether. It doesn’t make you less of a person for not playing chess, just remember that. I quit chess, as i couldn’t find a reason for playing chess anymore. I used to play it because it was fun for me, and i wanted to reach a certain rating, but within time, it became less fun to play, and reaching the rating i wanted became pointless to me. So i stopped playing chess, forever.

I hope my answer helps anyone whom cannot decide whether to continue playing chess or not.

What rating were you trying to reach?

weeding45

Don't take losing so hard. Everybody loses games from beginners to grandmasters but they don't get emotional about it. There are some lessons by masters on YouTube. Even when they lose they don't get too upset about it. Chess is addictive so quitting might seems unrealistic to the average chess addict. I play Daily chess for my chess.com clubs. I recommend you join a club on here and play match games, a couple of days per move. Once you learn how to lose gracefully your problems will be solved. 

kindaspongey

Has TheFox1 been here since 2013?

yureesystem

I look at your games and break basic opening principles, if don't study chess you won't get better. I suggest a excellent chess book that help develop basic chess principles and win more games; Logical Chess Move By Move by Chernev, this master explains all the move and why this are played, this book help me get to 1800 uscf.

Stormbreaker-123

Sometimes I want to quit as well. 

Stormbreaker-123

Quitting does not seem like a bad idea. Many people quit before. 

Bagrov27

I hate chess