Forums

People who DO NOT RESIGN in a lost position.

Sort:
Thepasswordis1234

its considered good sportsmanship to resign, saving time, however you guys are still at 1400 ELO so, I am not concerned at all.

presjpolk

Top titled players resign because they can reliably, easily convert advantages.

Nobody else needs to resign.

Optimissed
Thepasswordis1234 wrote:

its considered good sportsmanship to resign, saving time, however you guys are still at 1400 ELO so, I am not concerned at all.

It isn't anything to do with sportsmanship. If you think you might swindle it, play on. What do you have to lose except missing the bus?

Sharp2Axe

I'm 2200 lichess and boy do they suck at converting winning positions, I save half of my losing positions. I wonder why...

Mabye I should start resigning...

glamdring27

If saving time is your primary objective for expecting others to resign then not playing chess at all saves you way more time tongue I often resign myself to not waste my own time, but that's personal choice, not expectation on others!

HapG99

I often don’t resign when loosing. Several reasons:

1. At my level I can learn more especially when reviewing the game
2. I can try to get a stalemate

3. Also at my level BIG mistakes are oftentimes made

4. Very few (at my level) understand how to play the end game

antonista
I prefer to checkmate my opponent than to win by resignation. I hate it when my opponent resigns!
Boone2023

Why resign when your opponent might blunder?

BERSERK

True warriors never surrender

idunnobro813
BERSERK wrote:

True warriors never surrender

i was playing a game in real life against my friend and almost alll my pieces were gone except 3 pawns and a queen while my friend had a rook, a queen and 3 pawns. then I came back. BERSERK is right.

laurags01

Theres always a chance of winning

Elroch

I'm amused when I win a piece in a 1 minute game and the opponent resigns. Don't they know how slow I am?

CoDCVN

Im the person who never resigned. It does give me alot of draw and sometime win around my level (950-1100).

DragonoftheEclipse
I don’t love it when people resign, but I can sometimes see the reasoning behind it. Mostly I think of it as they want to play more chess so they resign to not lose more time doing what they love, or they need to leave and don’t want to waste your time by having you win by abandonment.
People who don’t resign, I can also see the appeal, many times I have one because my opponent has their queen while I don’t, and got careless and let their other pieces become vulnerable.
Boottler

https://lichess.org/forum/general-chess-discussion/not-resigning-in-a-lost-position?page=1

This issue also was being discussed elsewhere. Well, as long as there is no stalling going on, it is fair game to continue playing out a match. I will also resign bullet matches when both my position and the opponent's playing speed make a draw or even win seem impossible.