Forums

Alice Chess Online

Sort:
alexandermatos

This is my second variant forum. The first one, Dice Chess Online, has already started. If you want to spectate the game played between @DukeOfHelsinki and @chamo2074, click on this link.

Rules: Alice chess is very similar to regular chess, except for two rules. The first rule is that the game must be played on two boards. This makes the second rule possible. The second rule is piece transferring, and this simple rule is responsible for disorientation and confusion in many new players. 

Piece transferring: Pieces move the same as they do in regular chess but after a piece moves, it is transferred to the opposite board. At the beginning of the game, pieces start in their normal positions in Board 1, while Board 2 starts empty. For example, after Nf3 and e6, the white knight and black pawn transfer to their corresponding squares on Board 2.

If the game continued Ne5 and Bc5, the knight returns to Board 1, and the bishop finishes on Board 2.

A move in Alice Chess must follow two basic rules. The move must be legal on the board, and the square transferred to on the opposite board must be vacant. Capturing is possible only on the board which a piece currently stands (pieces on Board 1 may only capture pieces on Board 1, etc.) After capture, the capturing piece transfers to the opposite board. If the game continues with Nxf7, the knight transfers to Board 2.

In the last position, Black cannot make the moves Kxf7 or Bxf2+. However, he can play Bg1. The bishop move is legal, and the bishop returns to Board 1.

Special Rules: A king may not transfer to a vacant square on the opposite board, if it puts the king in check. Castling is allowed in Alice Chess, and both the king and rook transfer to the opposite board.

Participation: Just say sign-up to join. The first two players to sign up get to play this wonderful and mind-bending variant.

DukeOfHelsinki

is the second board empty at the start?

alexandermatos
DukeOfHelsinki wrote:

is the second board empty at the start?

That was explained in the rules. The second board starts empty.

DukeOfHelsinki

then it's not that fun.

Well, if the second board was filled at first... that would be a lot of fun.

EdPlays_Chess

Hi Alexandermatos, I would like to join this variant. If there are open spots please let me know.

alexandermatos
Chess_Ednigma wrote:

Hi Alexandermatos, I would like to join this variant. If there are open spots please let me know.

Nobody has joined this variant, so you are free to sign-up. Honestly, I did not expect someone to join this late. How did you find this thread?

EdPlays_Chess
alexandermatos wrote:
Chess_Ednigma wrote:

Nobody has joined this variant, so you are free to sign-up. Honestly, I did not expect someone to join this late. How did you find this thread?

I googled searched for Alice chess and this forum popped up. I have been searching on how to play chess variants beyond those provided directly through chess.com. 

kingsindianattack7

sign-up

alexandermatos

@Chess_Ednigma is white and @kingsindianattack7 is black. The time control is 3 days with no vacation time. After 3 days, a timeout warning may be called. Once a timeout warning has been called, a player has only 24 hours to make a move. This game official starts now

EdPlays_Chess

e4

kingsindianattack7

e5

alexandermatos

EdPlays_Chess

Bc4

Boogalicious

Cool variant idea! Did you make it up? 

kingsindianattack7
Ba3

alexandermatos