Forums

Bollwerk 178

Sort:
Komstratyx-Spiele

Hello,

Bollwerk 178 is a chess like complex strategy game for two players.

Each player has 20 spectacular pieces and 25 supplementary stones at their disposal. The game is played on a board with 178 squares. The game board is in a constant state of change due to the supplementary stones.

The goal of the game is, occupying the opponent’s end field with a piece or a bomb. Whoever captures all his opponent’s pieces or immobilizes their opponent also wins.

Due to its complexity, the game is hardly predictable for humans, so that intuition, alert senses and strategic skills are required!

Over 2000 moves are available for just the first move, so that opening theory plays no role at Bollwerk 178.

Our Kickstarter campaign is planned for 2021.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bollwerk178/bollwerk-178

Please check out the pitch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4GPYG9gK0I

The website www.bollwerk178.com is coming soon.

Please support us.

Komstratyx-Spiele

The Guards (10 per player)The Guard. Each player has 10 Guards.

Komstratyx-Spiele

The starting position. Additionally each player has 25 supplementary stones at their disposal. 

evert823

Unless you're willing to share complete details of the rules and expect any thoughts or feedback, this post is nothing but a commercial. For now, good luck with the project.

Komstratyx-Spiele

Website with the rules coming next week.

Komstratyx-Spiele

Website is online.

For detailed movement of the pieces and the game rules, please visit our website

www.bollwerk178.com

I´m ready for feedback.

evert823

It looks good. I'm very curious where this is going.

Komstratyx-Spiele

No further opinions?

A single remaining piece can take the victory over an entire opposing team, so that theoretically 19 pieces can be sacrificed. That's a very exciting point

evert823

I was checking the description for the Spy and read this:

"When capturing, however, the spy may previously have only jumped over his own pieces or only over supplementary stones. It is also possible to jump right over the opponent."

This is an example of a description that raises questions here and there.

It's a lot of pieces and rules and a substantial reading time, and potentially ambiguities need fixed in more places.

I'm mainly going through it to check what ideas it has that are really new to the world of chess variants.

Komstratyx-Spiele

Thank you for your comment.

The Spy can jump over own pieces, arrows and opponent pieces. He can move like that. When the Spy jump first over an own piece, then over an arrow he can´t capturing then the opponent piece by jumping over it. Only move like that.

The Spy can jump over a lot of own pieces, then capturing an opponent piece, by jumping over it. Or the Spy jump over an arrow (or more arrows), then capturing an opponent piece. Or the Spy jump directly over an opponent piece and capturing it.

Here are all move options for the Spy market with a point. The Spy can capture the Chancellor and the Guard, but not the Queen.
Is it more clear now?

Komstratyx-Spiele

And still with the third option. The Marshal can also be captured.

Komstratyx-Spiele

Is anyone interested in Bollwerk 178 puzzles?

Or does anyone want to make a move with white in this thread?

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-variants/bollwerk-178-chess-game

Komstratyx-Spiele

Today I founded a club. If you interesting in the game and want to learn how to play, please join...

https://www.chess.com/club/club-bollwerk-178

ArchbishopCheckmate

What does the name mean?

Komstratyx-Spiele

Bollwerk is german for bulwark. The game is played on a board with 178 squares.

You can build a bulwark around your endzone. Black has no Cannon and no bomb anymore, only with the Knight can reach the endzone of white, because it can remove supplementary stones. If white can capture the black Knight, he has a draw for sure, but there is still a chance to win. Nevertheless black has a clear advantage in material.

Komstratyx-Spiele

When I count it right, the Guard on J7 has 229 options for the first move! 7 options to move and a lot more for the supplementary stones.

ericyancovid

prettuy interesting

Komstratyx-Spiele

Nice puzzle: White to move and wins in three.

The combo starts with Queen takes the Cannon and blast away the block on J11.

Black has to take the Queen or defend the diagonal to the end field.

Then the Chancellor comes into the action. Takes the Guard on K14 and places a red border arrow on J16 and an arrow on K12.

Note: The Chancellor is the only piece that can drop two supplementary stones per move.

Black has to take the Chancellor or it´s over.

The Spy is doing the rest with style.

Komstratyx-Spiele

Great. In a report on chess.com (Russian) about Bollwerk 178. With two nice pictures.

https://www.chess.com/ru/blog/JoePictures/evolution-chess-vol-2

Komstratyx-Spiele

Evaluating the worth of the pieces is an extremely difficult matter, since the strengths and special abilities of the pieces are dependant on the position and the number of supplementary stones placed on the board.

The pieces also have different skills in playing with the supplementary stones.

The Knight may for example be one of the weaker pieces in terms of move options and range, but its special ability to remove blocks and arrows from the game makes it priceless in some situations - especially when the opponent plays very defensively.
And what is the value of an arrow, a block or a bomb compared to a piece?

I will try it anyway.

Guard 1,00

Cannon 2,25

Knight 3,00

Gold Runner 3,25

Spy 3,50

King´s Knight 4,00

Queen 4,20

Elephant 4,30

Marshal 4.40

Chancellor 4,70

And how are the values with the supplementary stones? In my opinion, this rating cannot be converted 1 to 1 to the rating without extra stones.

Arrow 1,00

Red Border Arrow 1,15

Red Border Block 1,30

Block 1,60

Guard 4,10

Bomb 4,90

Cannon 8,10

Knight 11,50

Gold Runner 12,30

Spy 13,00

King´s Knight 15,10

Queen 16,50