Forums

Bull Dog chess (game)

Sort:
vickalan

I see there's been lots of discussion about chess variants including non-standard pieces.  But I don't see many games actually being played (I do see there's a game of Waterloo going on).

Would anyone like to play a game of bull-dog chess?  It's on an 8x10 board, with two new pieces.  The new pieces aren't really very powerful, such as the archbishop or deathknight in other proposed games. It's just a guard and a bulldog. Here's the rules:

Bull Dog Chess:

Played on a 10 x 8 board. Two new pieces:
1) Guard (G): Moves and captures like a king. But no other penalty if attacked or captured. (worth 2 points?)
phpaYG1lT.jpeg

2) Bulldog (D): Moves and attacks the same as a pawn, except pieces FROM ITS OWN ARMY ONLY can pass over it in any direction. If a bull dog reaches the 8th rank it can immediately move to any square in the first four ranks (but cannot capture a piece during this move). This move can only be completed during the same move it reaches the 8th rank. (If this option is not taken, the bulldog forfeits the right to do so later and therefore is stuck where it is). The bull dog does not promote to other pieces as pawns do. (worth 1 point?)
phpP2HkX6.jpeg

Board Setup:
phpUOnV1V.jpeg

Castling:
Castling is similar as in classical chess, however, with the board 10 files wide, the king travels three squares rather than two. The rook finishes adjacent to the king, either on the d-square if queen-side, or h-square if king-side. (note files are numbered "a-j" with "a" and "j" being the new flanks). As usual when castling, all squares between the king and the involved rook must be unoccupied, and this includes the square where the guard is initially positioned.
Other rules of this game are identical with rules of classical chess.
Note:
Board notation is slightly different with the new board.The files normally labeled "a"-"h" are now "b"-"i".  The new left and right files are "a" and "j". So the 10 files are simply "a"-"j".

If anyone would like to play:
Just name your first move.  Then I'll make mine, update the image, post it, and we can keep going.  I suggest maybe just ~1 move per day. Or let me know if you prefer more or less often?

Also to all:
Please do not post any comments about this game here.  I'd like to reserve this thread to just this game, and not go off-topic with suggestions, ideas, criticisms, etc.

If you have any comments or ideas then please visit: (bull dog ideas)

So is there anyone who would like to play white?
evert823

I will play.

evert823

I guess it's my turn.

1. e4

vickalan

Thank you for playing a game with me!happy.png

It will be fun to play a game with someone in the Netherlands! I will move 1...Ng6.  Here is the updated board position:

phpgx87Qb.jpeg

evert823

2. Bh6

vickalan

Your d-bishop cannot move to h6 (remember we are using new board notation). And your other bishop is not free yet. Will you name another move?

evert823

Sorry I meant h5.

vickalan

...Nf4, so now:

1.e4  Ng6
2.Bh5 Nf4

phpY1Nsuk.jpeg

evert823

3. Bi4

vickalan

3...e5

phpZ2edyc.jpeg