Forums

Infinite Plane Chess with Musketeer Hawk (Musketeerchess2017 - vickaln)

Sort:
vickalan
This thread is for a game of "Chess on an Infinite Plane" between musketeerchess2017 and vickalan.

Rules:
The Pieces:
Black and White each have the following pieces (quantity and name)
1 king
1 queen
2 chancellors
2 rooks
2 bishops
2 knights
2 guards
2 hawks
24 pawns

All pieces move as in classical chess, with the "extra" three pieces moving as follows:

Chancellor (C) - Moves and captures as rook + knight.
phpvGmBzx.png

Hawk (H) - Leaps exactly 2 or 3 squares in any orthogonal or diagonal direction. The leaping move means it can jump over other pieces.
phpLKfvTa.png

Guard (G) - Moves and captures the same as a king but is not affected by check.
phpuCNkXp.png

Pawns play the same and promote at the same rank as in classical chess. White pawns promote at rank 8, and black pawns promote at rank 1. Pawns can promote to chancellor, hawk, or guard in addition to queen, rook, bishop, or knight. Pawns may capture and be captured en passant with the same rules as in classical chess.

There is no castling.

There is no fifty-move rule. Draws can only occur from stalemate, threefold repetition, agreement, or a proven case of insufficient material to force checkmate.

All other rules are the same as in classical chess.

Move Notation:
Numeric coordinates are used to identify piece locations as (file#, rank#). The "a1" square is (1,1) and is marked on the chess diagram with a small red bracket.

Parenthesis are used around each coordinate. Three examples of a move notation:
1) A rook moving from (8,4) to (1,4):
     R(8,4)-(1,4) or R(1,4)
2) A rook moving from (1,4) and capturing a piece on (0,4):
     R(1,4)x(0,4) or Rx(0,4)
3) A pawn advancing from (-1,7) to (-1,6):
     (-1,7)-(-1,6) or (-1,6)
If anyone has comments or ideas about Chess on an Infinite Plane please visit (here).
Musketeerchess2017 (my nemesis and friend), you may play white.happy.png

null
vickalan

Ok, great idea. I have wanted to try Chess on an Infinite Plane with stronger pieces, and the Musketeer collection is a great place to get some.

If I remember correctly these are the pieces you mention, right?
Musketeer Falcon:  Bishop + Hawk

null

Musketeer Griffon: Archbishop + Hawk (using dragon piece shape)

null

Let me know if this is the board set-up as you mentioned (below). It looks good for me. Is this OK to start a game?

null

vickalan
I think our last (long game) was this:(musketeer chess game) where you and Raffa defeated me in 40 moves.
This time we have stronger pieces, but a bigger board. You're white, so you can play your move anytime (but I don't mind a break now and then).
vickalan

Hi Zied,

Since we are starting the team competition, is it OK if we put this game (1-on-1) on "hold"?

I will be busy in April, and the team game with you, McGoohan, and Mayapiri will be fun. I hope it's OK with you.

HorribleTomato

Good job. @Vickalin spelled his name wrong, Musky spelled welcome wrong. Go back to Kindergarten! tongue.pngwink.png

vickalan

Musketeerchess2017 is from France so he gets a pass when writing in English. (I don't know any French).sad.png