Forums

New piece rules and combos, your advice is needed

Sort:
Nordlandia

Centaur = 6 p

Note: the synergy bonus isn't included because it's still considered a short range piece. 

GQ5jWZx.png

HorusTheThird

Glider:

null

Triangle used for jump - no capture.

greypenguin

Yeah

Ebinola

Great work with the moulds, as always! I see there’s a few more pieces with swappable tops. Really looking forward to some lion + unicorn shenanigans on the chessboard, being British of course.

I should also take the time to put it out there that if anyone’s interested, I have an article on musketeer chess that you can find on my blog: https://www.chess.com/blog/Ebinola/an-introduction-to-musketeer-chess

alanprince
The griffin can jump over pieces cos it’s a griffin ( it has wings) and the cannons will not be in the start of a game you have to promote a pawn to get it
Nordlandia

Looks good.

One question: if the spider is centered on square - do it take up space on adjacent square?

Just asking because it seems the spider can interfere with big pieces. 

brainking2017
Nordlandia wrote:

Looks good.

One question: if the spider is centered on square - do it take up space on adjacent square?

Just asking because it seems the spider can interfere with big pieces. 

Hi, this is Raphael Zied's cousin. I'm Glad Zied finally released his trial pieces. I can assure you that they are good looking. The Spider will interfere with adjacent pieces because the legs have a big reach.

This figural Spider is in my opinion the most interesting piece and unique regards all the aspects. Zied decided to keep the moves the same than the initial piece named Spider. Probably we should think about another alternative name than Spider for the First version. This piece combines a Rod and a Big Tower.

I will try to update this thread with new pictures. I will attach here pictures of lone pieces with the name of the pieces. I think this will be clearer for all of you.

goommba88

I would not mind seeing anew piece with the powers of a bishop, with a twist it moves a maximum of 3 squares on the diagonal then it would have the ability too move to any of the 4 corner squares on the board, if they are not occupied by a piece. thus it could be a light or a dark squared bishop

Steven_Scott

"prince" = knight + king

Steven_Scott

I know its not a new piece - but i didn't know where to post my idea. I came up with a game which I call "God Save the Queen". You remove the king and queen from the board, and the pawn from the h file and a file. rooks go in the center where the king and queen is usually, then knights on c & f, and bishops on b & g. The point of the game is to get a pawn across the board to "save the queen", or alternatively capture all of the opponents pawns first. The rest of the game plays normally with no changes to the pieces.

Nordlandia

Thanks for new pictures. Btw have you considered using/buying 3D printer?

Print out new pieces happy.png

Ebinola

Linking back to my previous post (first page, #6)...

I wasn't sure at first which piece the warrior was, but the design further cements my opinion that the warrior should be rook+camel, and the wizard bishop+camel.

nullnull

As for the citadel - it's a very detailed mould, and the only piece that has a square base:

null

I'm not sure how big the lion is but I assume it's about the same size as the elephant?

null

These are the move+piece combinations I'm solid on. Warrior and wizard are counterparts to each other, and are counterparts to the chancellor and archbishop. Sadly the wizard is left out as being the only piece that's colourbound, but I like to maintain theme, even if it comes at the cost of being able to move only on one colour. Citadel is a more powerful fortress (fortress+king+bishop), lion is king+alfil+dabbabah+knight.

neoliminal

Here is an article on one method to give an approximation of fairy piece values. Obviously piece values change over time and play, with tactics and board conditions, so these are guidelines for approximate valuations.

http://www.schemingmind.com/journalarticle.aspx?article_id=22

Nordlandia

How much is the Warrior worth? 

Rook remove camel's colorboundedness. Even then, the synergy bonus is very little as i believe

My guess is something around 6.75 - 7.25.

camel_L.jpg

neoliminal

I, unfortunately, haven't automated the task of using this method. If you are curious what the results would be, then you would need to test it yourself and then let us know what the system gives as a result.

Or if there is some intrepid programmer out there who wants to program the system....

Nordlandia

That's wonderful news. 

Engine need to take synergy bonuses into consideration. 

Nordlandia

What formula is the engine going to use to determine exact piece values?

neoliminal

I'm very curious how this pans out! Thanks for the explanation.

HorusTheThird

I quite like idea #3 as well, though it should be worth slightly more due to the ability of it to checkmate in a king vs. king & zebra. It also seems like a more offensive piece in comparison to idea #2 which seems weaker than the knight. Idea #1 seems like something that deserves a different name.

alanprince

It Might become chaos also if there’s an emperor why a king? Many you can use the ideas to make a game similer to chess with them