Forums

So, uh, how do I castle?

Sort:
Tenna

Now, I would like to castle kingside/h-side. Moving the rook over doesn't work. Obviously I can't move the king because it doesn't move. As far as I know one is allowed to castle the rook out of 'check' when castling.

omnipaul

Unfortunately, you can not castle in this position.  You can not castle 0-0 because the Bishop is occupying a needed square (g8).  You can not castle 0-0-0 because the wrong Rook is occupying a needed square (d8).

Tenna

Oh, wow, I managed to get the files reversed. You'd think I'd be used to the fact that Black plays 0-0 to the left and 0-0-0 to the right...

Thanks...

slack

You can't castle H-side in this position for two reasons: The bishop occupies g8, which is where your king ends up, and the opponents bishop is attacking the e8 square. Remember, you can't castle into, or through, check.

hisrook

So, how do I castle?

It seems it won't let me.  I tried moving (in analysis mode) my King to c1, but this only moves the King to c1.  I want final position to have King on c1 and Rook from a1 to d1 (as per normal A-side castling).

I also tried moving my rook to d1 - but this doesn't work either.

omnipaul

hisrook:

Try moving your King onto the Rook on a1.

hisrook

Eureka!  That works!  Thank you omnipaul.

macer75

I think chess.com should make it so that when you castle, you have to move the king and rook separately. Currently when you move your king your rook automatically moves with it, but in an OTB game that can only happen if you're using different hands to move the king and rook (like Nakamura), which is against the rules. So in order to make the game more realistic, and to encourage people to follow the rules, you should have to move the king and then move the rook, both manually, when you castle.

kucha123

I tried moving king on rook but it won't let me. I've tried everything