Forums

Variant collaboration!

Sort:
Ace569er

This thread has be ruined. Please redirect to the following link, sorry.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess960-chess-variants/new-variants-using-common-pieces-amongst-them

Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ace569er

Not really, everyone who has tried. Has been able to learn everything in one game. It is just people are intimidated too easy. Then never bother to try. You would be amazed how easy the moves are if you tried. They are almost all based off or mirror each other. Which makes Beta memory do 90% of the work to remember for you. Yet again, if too intimidated to try. You'll never know. Thanks for stopping by.

Plus that is why there are the leaner games on top. They have only a handful of each new piece type. Slowly adding more.

BattleChessGN18

[DELETED]

Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
BattleChessGN18

You already know that I appreciate all the work that you've done to try to make my variant in winboard. (My gratitude is stated as the first and last line in my own thread). Smile

For now, Ace, I'd like to leave Winboard out of the project. It just can't do a lot of maneuvers I'd like it to. I understand you took the time to make it in the program. So, don't throw it away. Simply put it on freeze; for now.

Rather, I'm going to be commissioning my wood craftsman on a future project that would include this; it will be a physical reality. I suppose we can take it from there.

Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
BattleChessGN18

You and I can probably play by posting pictuers. xD

But first, you got to showcase the pieces and board you made by posting it here. 

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/post-your-sets

Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
Sqod

Minor suggestion: That first board diagram is hard on my eyes since the texture in addition to the already ornate icons makes the whole thing hard to interpret at a glance: the texture is too distracting.

Seems interesting, but how do you win- there are two kings!

Ace569er

I've uploaded one with the ulgy defult color tiles, of the warboard(biggest one). As well as Alpha Omega Chess It is a lot easier to see, I will admit. I do the one upside down. Because the hardest sliders to remember have there moves in there graphic.(barricade & battering ram[diamond & tampered block])

There are three kings in the two main games. I have just uploaded pics of. They work the same as two tho. It is like spartan chess. If you put a king in check it does not matter. If there are extra left. Yet if you put all kings alive in check. They most move one out of check. You can take the extra kings like any other piece in the game. Till there is only one left. Then it is just like normal chess. So check only means something with extra kings, if the one in check does not mind losing his extra king. You can also checkmate every king alive to win. That would be the hardest way to win.

BattleChessGN18

I've been wondering this for at least when this thread was started:

What was wrong with this previous version to begin with? It was the one and only one you had, and it was doing just fine

You can totally take this or leave it: I think that if you keep creating new versions at a fickle, you're discouraging people from taking your variants seriously and from wanting to try them out. What are all these new pieces anyways, and how much time did you actually invest in creating their powers?

I suppose it's fine that you're that changeable and dextrous. Honestly, however, are you seeing how it could negatively affect people who otherwise took to your nice inventions? See, I took more than 3 weeks worth of free time (I didn't say I had 3 weeks of free time! 'Cuz I don't; not now, nor anytime in the near future.) to learn and study the pieces' powers, positionality and strategies for this ^^^ previous variant. I had the heart and initiative to play a game or two  of it against you; to make you feel great to know that someone appreciates your work and wants to promote your variant. Don't you remember? I said I was even going to post a youtube video with some analysis of our games.

LXIVC had the heart to play your variant, despite winboard being frustrating.

You're now throwing all that away? You're going to waste his, my and your time like that??

Ace569er

I said with that one you posted I was not sure if I liked it. Just couldn't tell till I played it. While at the time, I was sick of playing myself. There is a good number of reasons it was changed from the abopve pic. Plus that is one of five changes in one week. Not even the first or last. So you could not have put that much time in.
The prince and princess were worthless because they took too long to get out. Plus there was no good way to block a certain opening I saw every game. I can promise you I will not be changing it anymore. I haven't since I made the warboard. I just grabed the second to last version of AOC. To be my final. OK I added 4 slaves and took two jakes. while adding the barricade and battering ram. While getting rid of a leaper too.Only because the pieces were not invented yet.
 I personaly hated that one more than some of the others. The fact it was the only one made only 12 long. Made getting a good opening defence, almost impossible. Which is not the case in any of the other version I made. That was one of the most broken versions. It suited to only one style of play.
I can get the fact that I completely redid the pawn class, being an issuse. Yet I hugely prefer them like this. As for the rest of the pieces. Nothing was really changed. I removed a few squares that two leapers could go to. Because they were too strong and abused in play. Wreaking the game. By making other pieces hold less vaule. Plus I changed them forever ago. As well as everyone but you agreed that those two needed fixing.

Also the game you like I had made after changing it for five days in a row like I said. Fixing things I was finding wrong. So you should had figured that it was not final yet. I did say I currently can't think of anything, needing changing. I also said it was because I was sick of playing myself to test it. So all that time you spent was on the piece movement not the layout. Because it never stayed anything for that long. And all that piece movement knowlege is still needed now. Because only the pawn class was altered. Plus I bought all the pieces to make a physical Warboard. So I can't change it at this point, without costng me a lot of money.

I should have not posted all the changes, but I wanted other to see the process and time I put into making them right. Insead of throwing together the first thing I think of, then calling it good. No point in doing it. If I'm not 100% happy with the end game. I should have just never posted till I had things set. Also why I made this thread. Because now they are made and no longer need testing.

I have now played at least 40 games vs myself. With all of this boards. I never played even 10 prior, without finding something that needed to be fixed. The only ones I'm not fully happy with is the small ones. Yet they mean nothing to me. Aside from helping people learn the pieces. So the games you see above are not going to change!

The only thing I might change. Is the graphic for the phoenix, & maybe the dragon. If I can make something that looks better. That is not changing the game tho. I've been trying to change the graphics, from what you posted. To what I now have now, from day one. I hated having an elephant and bird. They are out of theme for my game. Plus the other horse looked to much like a normal one. So I fixed all that.

Ace569er

Here is a beta release if anyone wants to play with it. Till Muller helps me by fixing a few things. The queen castling does not work. Plus the black tiles in AOC do not stop you, like they should. Plus there are no promotions. Everything else should work fine. Has all 5 games in it. Warboard is the one set as defult. Do not forget to read instruction. To load the graphics and P2P engine. Which is also in the main folder.

To change games: copy the custom.dat from the folders in the main Warboard folder. Then paste and overwrite the custom.dat in Warboard/winboard4.80/winboard/. Then hit new game & it will load the replaced custom.dat.(which is the whole game)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fs1v4g0md0d2wh/War+board.zip

BattleChessGN18

Right, then.

So when is it going to be final? See, I thought this was the final version, having not known at all that you made "5 different versions that week" and "didn't like this one"; you at the time knew I was studying yours pieces and wanted to play a few games of this ^^^ against you; and then to "post a youtube vdeo" on chess analysis of those games. What do you think that means?

Why don't you "like [your] older" variants after you tried them out? They're all more or less the same with a new stylistic board. Little minor updates here and there are understandable (like the updates you made to the young royals: Prince and Princess), since I do that with my own variants too. However, little is hardly the case, seeing that we have a series of new boards every week or every other week. 

Honestly, Ace. When are your board(s) going to be final? How do we know that you're not just going to abandon your current projects here and start a new similar yet different variant? First it was this:

Then it was this:

And then this:

and this:

Following a new trend, it then became these (to be in line with my suggesting a wider board, a consideration which I appreciated and was flattered by):

(The last one which I thought was the final updated version; which caused me to invest time into it.)

All three of which you have then thrown away to have this:

This ^^^ became the official variant, which you featured in your OP of the "new variant, looking for players" thread...

Which you hardly even spoke about and then immediately abandoned to start these here in this thread:

(If I'm not mistken, you had a few other variants in this list that you have now eidted out)

You had told me in a conversation that you didn't want the variant that I was playing anymorebecause there was some frustrating trouble with programming the moves of some of the pieces; like the snake, where, on certain squares, it didn't move like it was supposed to. Couldn't you say that for any and all the variants you have tried to make here? ^^^

Do you remember back in the early days of being excited with your very first version? You had at least some people who found them it interesting and wanted to try it out. Hell, I was trying like rocks and stones to remotely persuade you to create a wider board, but nope. You wouldn't budge. Remember? We had also pleasant debate as to whether or not the King and Queen should be in the 2nd row or very back row. Again, you wouldn't budge. Remember? (This didn't change even today, so I suppose you stood your ground there.) After 3 or 4 months of discussing improvements to possibly be made, you hardly made any changes; because you were so happy and proud of this ^^^.

What changed all of that? 

Why is it that, after I said I was inspired to create my own variation to your existing variant  that you all of the sudden decided anxiously to rapidly create all these new variants in a matter of days and advertise them all around my own variant, flagrantly posting them here and as irrelevant material in my thread? And then posting my variant as if it was a dot in a sea of your variants? Hell,why was this thread started to begin with? You couldn't post your new variants in the existing "New variant: looking for players" thread, as you've already been doing?

Are you still afraid of the alleged "competition"? That, as you told me, you would be sad if my variant "wins out", after all the hard work you have put into the one and only you had?

It's the one of only a few thing in the pile of reasons you have given for your abrupt rampant creations that makes sense to me; creations that, mind you, all of the sudden look very similar to my own wider board.

What are you afraid of, dude? We've already agreed that we can both have our own versions, and we know that different people will like different versions.

At any rate, Ace, I'm a bit exhausted from reading about a new slight variant popping up every 3 or four days. I am sticking to this one, as committed. 

Why you "dont like this variant anymore" after "having tried it out" is beyond me, but I don't require an explanation. I am keeping it, because you had spent time and dedication on it. If you want to make updates to the Prince and Princess, that's completely understandable. Otherwise, I'm sticking to the variant I have committed myself to.

Ace569er

wow this page now boggs my PC down. While is also just a f***ing mess.  I now have to shut this thread down and make yet anouther one. Thanks.....(sad I had to edit and star that out myself. This forum is a joke...)

Ace569er

I wrote a huge reply and this site did not post it and cleared it. Like it loves to do. This time I could not use back to bring it back. I'm done. I'm getting feed up with this half ass forum.

Ace569er

That took me 40min to write all that bull. This site has now made me very pissed off. Not even sure why I'm writing this shit again. I'll sum it up fast screw it. I'm not writing that all again. One, I'm  not reading the clutter bullshit you just posted. Your lucky I read even half of that ridiculous mess.. You are acting like a child and just acting retarded with all thoses pics. Clean it up if you want me to care to read it.

I have tons of quotes of me saying how that was not final. I showed the true first game. My profile pic. I explained for the countless time way the knight was changed. It was how it was originaly. I should have never tested it as a king over a fetz. Yet I'm not writing any of that again. I'm not changing anything. Don't care if you believe me. I gave tons, of reasons yet this stupid site did not post it. Again not writing it again. I not rewritng any of it. Screw this thread and stupid site. I am very pissed off that it did it's crap where it just reloads a page instead of posting. I wish I could scream the fool who made this horrible forum. Has more flaws than any forum I ever used. So many features do not function right.