Forums

New variants using common pieces amongst them.

Sort:
Ace569er

Made possible by H.G.Muller's programing & Ace569er's design.

Full game with online match making. Played with a modified winboard 4.8.0

The normal pieces are;

bishop, infintry archer, caridinal, battering ram

rook, cannon, tower, fortress(barricade)

knight, executioner, unholy paladin,  phoenix

magician, high gaurd, templar assassin, dragon

Royal pieces are;

king, queen, prince, princess, duke, dutchess, lord(lion), fool(jester), emperor

The prince, princess, & emperor has special properties. Which are not enforced by Winboard. So these are player enforced. You can take back a move in winboard, if you mess up enforcing a rule.

The princess can not be taken by any female royal piece.(queen, princess, dutchess, fool).

The prince can not be taken by any male royal piece.(king, prince, duke, lord[lion])

The emperor can not capture any non-royal piece. Can only capture royal pieces. Can be taken by any normal piece. Can not be taken be any royal pieces.

There are up to four kings in most of the games. Some are one king though. That  I have uploaded pics of. They work the same as two. It is like spartan chess. If you put a king in check it does not matter. If there are extra left. Yet if you put all kings alive in check. They most move one out of check. You can take the extra kings like any other piece in the game. Till there is only one left. Then it is just like normal chess. So check only means something with extra kings, if the one in check does not mind losing his extra king. You can also checkmate every king alive to win. That would be the hardest way to win.

Has all the games in it. Warboard is the one set as defult. Do not forget to read instruction. To load the graphics and P2P engine. Which is also in the main folder. Every thing works! Queens and kings can castle.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vsxk1dzqg129qab/New+variants+using+common+pieces+amongst+them.zip

To change games: copy the custom.dat from the folders in the main Warboard folder. Then paste and overwrite the custom.dat in Warboard/winboard4.80/winboard/. Then hit new game & it will load the replaced custom.dat.(which is the whole game)

I use the same graphics in every game, for the same piece.  Making it so people who play my games. Can carry over their knowledge of how one piece moves/works. From one game to the next.

Without having to learn them all at once or again..

There are 3 small learner games that have only a handful of each of the pieces I made.  To try and let a player get to use and learn a few pieces without having to learn the other 23 at the same time.

Several variants using common fairy pieces, amongst them.

These are the 3 training games

All moves are the same. For all the same looking pieces. In each game.

Vaules

.5 slave

1 pawn

1.5 gambit

2 jack

3 executioner

4 knight

4.5 high gaurd + archer

5 phoenix

5.5 cardinal + cannon

6 bishop + templar assassin

7 dragon + unholy paladin

8 battering ram + magician

9 barricade+Tower

10 Emperor

11 prince

12 rook

12.5 extra king

13 Fool

15 princess

17 Dutchess

18 queen

20 Duke

26 lion

pawn class opening move options. Gambits and slaves(reverse jacks and pawns) can leap over a piece to get out on the first move. Repersented by the yellow rings.

Ace569er

Here are the pieces. Still modding some. Plus not dead set on them all. Plus I still need four 5" normal looking boxwood/redwood kings & queens.

Plus I still need something to represent the Emperor, Duke, & Dutchess. Not that any game I made yet has them.

From left to right they represent:

Phoenix--Archer--Executioner--Bishop--Battering Ram--Cardinal

Dragon--Barricade(Fortess)--Rook--High Gaurd--Cannon--Tower

Fool(Jester)--Lord(Lion)--Princess--Prince

Gambit--Jack--Slave--Pawn

Still working on modding the tops of these. Pawn top going on a Paladin, Jack top on templars, and gambit top on magician. Some are set in the whole board photo.

Magician--Unholy Paladin--Templar Assassin--Knight

Ace569er

not sure that's allowed so I'm reporting it.

BattleChessGN18

"However, many of those chess variants have significant drawbacks. Most of the time, they require an expanded board (8x10, 10x10 etc.)  One of the drawbacks of changing the board size is that the relative piece “value” is affected. In consequence, the larger the board, the more the short-range playing pieces became less valuable (especially pawn, knight and king)."

I'm not entirely sure why its considered a "drawback"; or, rather, why the drawback is worth considering in such a negative light. Usually, the larger the board, the more pieces are incorporated. In which case, the devaluation of Knights and King are compensated by all their new companions. (Already, take a look at these variants in the OP.)

At any rate, I think it's great that you got your invention featured on the house of staunton website. How did it happen?

Ace569er

lol, he is not the creator of those pieces. He is just linking them because he used them. With there original moves. That is how they move, in their real games. The game is not on the house of staunton website. You disappoint me with that post Battlechess...

Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
RottenPretzel

the slave should be worth more than the pawn.

RottenPretzel

and do you need to checkmate all or one king?

Ace569er

The post right after the main one. Explains how the kings work. Just like spartan chess.

The slave can only attack forward. Plus it's movement is a pain to work with. Compared to a pawn that can set up a staggered defence. Slaves can only make an up and down line. Without others protecting them. Plus they tend to block the bishops class. From getting out of a staggered pawn set up. Tho that last one can also be used as a defence, verse the bishop class.

Because they are color bound, unless they can capture. Which is very rare they do much besides protecting. Which they are not very good at that. They almost never are lucky enough to capture much.  I find protecting 2 spaces and moving one. Is worth more than moving 2 places and and protecting one. Feel free to download & play a game vs yourself to see if you agree.

They are only considered stronger in Berolina Chess because they promote easier. So that is even up for debate. My game the do not promote plus they are not the only pawn type. Making them next to worthless. I can trade three of them and most likely not hurt my defence as much as losing one pawn. So .5 was being nice. Should be .333.

The Berolina Pawn is thought to be worth much more than the FIDE Pawn because its additional movement allows it to promote so much more easily. I don't know if anybody has really tested this. If it's true, would a Berolina Pawn able to promote to Bishop be worth as much as a FIDE Pawn able to promote to Queen? (A Berolina Pawn is worth less than FIDE Pawn in opening and midgame, I think. Pawn fork? What's that?)

Ace569er

Make your own thread...,are you retarded or just stupid? You also did not make those pieces. You really are just a dumb as scam artist, lol.

BattleChessGN18

Ack. Ace. Come now. No need for language like that. =)

MusketeerChess2015, as nice as your variant is, is there a reason why you decided to post it here and not in a new thread? lol

Ace569er

I am not very sorry. I have no care or time for stupidity. Why would I butter it up & encourage this Fool, to further act moronic? I just say it as it is. Plus I added some notes to this Tool's profile. To warn others of what he does.

Why buy that plastic trash when you can have these for far cheaper. Plus I love how he said he came up with the design. Because my wooden elephant looks just like his. Just not plastic junk.

Ace569er

Here are my pieces for my real board. I'm still working on it. The board is just layed together. So I still have to make it. The game is set up as the first game type.

Ace569er
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ace569er

So I decided for the real pieces to switch the fool and lion with the dragon and phoenix. Not sure which will be what yet.

ChessKingBen

Legit

Ace569er

Just finish the board. still need to frame it in. Plus waiting on more of the game pieces.

Nordlandia

Can you castle with your Queen, also referred to "Guarding" ?

Ace569er

yes

in all of them for the most part

as well as any extra kings or queens there might be.

Game 5 from the top is my favorite by far. That and this new one I made like that one.

Wafzal2

I got an idea: Catapults! Moves like a normal chess rook, but fires like a normal chess queen can and can attack behind pieces!