Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
e4nf3

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Maybe it could be called rose chess.

TheGrobe

Since we're eschewing tradition, why even continue to use the word chess?

How about Super Awesome Online War Game?

zerak

how about "laid-back chess"...

e4nf3

We are getting desperate. So, here's a desperate shot across the bow:

ishkabibble chess

(Has a nice "ring" to it.)

ibiwisi

I'm not a big fan of "Daily Chess," for two reasons.  First, it makes it sound like a chore.  ("Do I really need to play every day?")  Second, it's not really accurate.  I'm an avid Online Chess player; but I don't play every day (i.e., "daily").  I typically play minimum 3 days/move, and I often skip a day or two.  I think the concept that "Daily Chess" is trying to convey is the concept of "Days-Per-Move Chess," which (as I mentioned in an earlier post) is a perfectly viable name, IMO.

TheGrobe

It's a bit of a mothful.

goldendog

That's what she...

e4nf3

Daily...shmaily...

How about inventing a new word? I like: "zock".

Says it all.

Stampnl

what about "cheaterchess"?

kco

"Daily Chess" yuk !

"Digital Postal Chess" ?

e4nf3

chess for the undead

winerkleiner
goldendog wrote:

That's what she...

...said.  Lol nice dog

Pawnpusher3

Why is correspondence chess still not being used... Lol

Ziryab
Pawnpusher3 wrote:

Why is correspondence chess still not being used... Lol

That the term that I use when I blog about what I do here.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/search/label/correspondence

xqsme

Correspondingly ...how about "Chess Restante" similar to well known correspondence usage of Post Restante?

e4nf3

fortnight chess

ncpharaoh

Paul Revere Chess

ncpharaoh

Rebound Chess

e4nf3

Your typical online chess player:

Sooner

This thread has revealed the amazing number of comedians there are in chess.com's membership. Who could have guessed it? It might not be quite so pathetic, though, if at least a few of them had any wit or cleverness at all about them. By the way, "online chess" and "turn-based chess" are truly lame designations for what is merely a computerized version of correspondence chess. Pardon me for stating the painfully obvious, but all "online chess" games played on this site are online chess; and, in all of those "turn-based games," the players always take turns making their moves. Thus, all the tortured efforts herein to imagine "creative" names simply collapse logic and common sense in upon themselves. The absurdly strenuous efforts in this thread put one in mind of the old saying: "The mountains go into labor, and are delivered of a mouse." It really takes no effort of any intellectual proportion to make the conceptual leap from postal chess to its computerized, slightly modified counterpart, all the while using the same term that would be familiar to anyone who is any kind of chess player at all, i.e., correspondence chess. Aren't there any other more useful, potentially productive things to which we can turn our attention and efforts as we try to cope with this nightmarish monstrosity which chess.com and its propellor heads suddenly foisted upon their customers? And no apologies to the propellor heads, either. In fact, I suggest they use their next vacation to visit the real world just to see it. If there is anything they are not overly burdened with, it's a sense of reality.