Forums

How to claim a draw by repetition?

Sort:
monty82

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something or if there's a bug regarding threefold repetitions.

In one of my online chess games I have the possibility to repeat the position for a third time (I'm quite sure of this). According to the rules I should be able to claim a draw.

The FAQ states that after executing my move, but before submitting it, I should be able to click something that says "Claim game" to claim a draw. However, I can't see it.

Am I missing something or is it a bug?

MatchStickKing

Just click 'offer draw', and if the position is a draw by three fold rep then it will be declared a draw there and then.

monty82

That was what I was thinking earlier in the game, when I also had the possibility to achieve a threefold repetition. So I offered a draw and played the move that lead to a threefold repetition. However, my opponent just played on, so that doesn't seem to work :(.

kdl88

Monty I think you have to make the move first and then claim the draw.  The computer may need to see it concretely that it is a draw first before making it so.  Is it that the position repeated itself three times but not in a row?  I find many computer programs have a hard time with that rule.

rigamagician

In vote chess, I've seen the draw take effect a turn after the draw offer (to our opponents' great surprise).  It may be a case that the interface is waiting to actually see the third repetition, or it may be a bug.  You could try sending the URL to Support, and see what they say.

monty82

I just found out how it works here. I have to submit my move first. Then my browser goes to the next game, so I have to go back to this game, where the "Claim draw" link has appeared.

It's a bit different from how this works in OTB games (there you have to claim before you move), but it works.

rooperi
monty82 wrote:

I just found out how it works here. I have to submit my move first. Then my browser goes to the next game, so I have to go back to this game, where the "Claim draw" link has appeared.

It's a bit different from how this works in OTB games (there you have to claim before you move), but it works.

Yeah, it's slightly wrong on here.

The problem is that you cant claim if you opponent is too quick and moves before you can get back to the game, and I suspect a conditional move will also mess it up.

monty82
rooperi wrote:

Yeah, it's slightly wrong on here.

The problem is that you cant claim if you opponent is too quick and moves before you can get back to the game, and I suspect a conditional move will also mess it up.

Agreed. I was wondering the same thing. In my game, I was quick enough, but I do have opponents who make their moves really fast.

I've never encountered a conditional move in this situation yet, but I guess an opponent can succesfully prevent you from making a claim this way.

LazyChessPlayer3201

I wonder what will happen with conditionalize moving when your move activates he's imidiate response and there is no draw cause on the 4th move the move was changed.

monty82

How about testing it in an unrated game? Challenge me to an unrated game if you want to test it.

For example, after 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ng1 Ng8 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Ng1 Ng8, then after 5.Nf3 white should be able to claim a draw.

However, if black sets up a conditional move (other than 5...Nf6) then I suspect white won't be able to claim a draw.

LazyChessPlayer3201

Ok then

monty82

LazyChessPlayer3201 and I have played a test game and I can confirm that a conditional move indeed breaks the ability to claim a draw. I have reported this as a bug.

tedthepirate

the bug still hasn't been fixed

JMB2010

Does anyone know how it works in live chess? Before or after the move?

turtlenecked_bstard

i decided to play for a draw and going by the desciption of the threefold rule on chess.com, i should have done enough to claim a draw. unfortunately however, chess.com did NOT tell me this (from wikipedia) --

"In chess, in order for a position to be considered the same, each player must have the same set of legal moves each time"

leachi
The relevant rule in the FIDE laws of chess is 9.2, which reads:

The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

a.  is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and
     declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or

b.  has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

In case of b., we can claim draw before making the move, the "claim draw" link comes up correctly. In case of perpetual checks, we can easily wait for opponent to move and claim draw.

In case of a., we need a addtional link may be to claim draw before we make the move. I don't think its a bug as the computer sees it after the postion is repeated and not when the postion is about to repeat. Its a feature request for chess.com to include this feature to claim draw in case of a. As of now, we need to submit the move first and then go back and claim draw which isn't correct as per FIDE rules. We should be able to claim draw before we submit the move. Soon after we make the move, claim draw link should appear where we can claim draw or submit the move.
leachi

turtlenecked_bstard: Yes. In chess, in order for a position to be considered the same, each player must have the same set of legal moves each time, including the possible rights to castle and capture en passant.

devashish1996

I was in a winning position and still the game was drawn due to threefold repetitions. how to prevent it?

Lagomorph
devashish1996 wrote:

I was in a winning position

You clearly were in a drawn position.

devashish1996
Lagomorph wrote:
devashish1996 wrote:

I was in a winning position

You clearly were in a drawn position.

I had captured the queen and he was just trying to give checks.