Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
jesterville

...oh...don't get me wrong...I would have gone lots earlier...but I hate the crowds, the long lines, the 10,000 kids screaming and knocking the back of your chair...the can't find a close parking spot moment...the long lines to leave the parking lot after the show...the long lines to get my fav junk food fix, or use the wash room...the I could not get my fav seat feeling...the nasty cigarette smell of the person next to you, but no other seats to go to trap... you get the picture...so I don't ever go to see a film the first opening week...ever...

trysts

I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, that our chess game was pretty much over after about ten moves. So I'll say this match is much more exciting alreadyLaughing

keju

I didn't find Short that bad. No detailed lines but his simple remarks on the position were very revealing. Like his comment on needing to be alert in quiet positions, his simple explanations of why Gelfand moved his bishop to c5 and then b4. Also Anand's move h5 and then Kh7. I get more out of these than 10-ply analyses which is often just complication masquerading as profundity. Short is the real thing! Better than Plaskett. The other GM commentator at chessdom (blog comments) was also very good - can't recall his name. Also very simple but revealing comments. The best commentators always have a knack for this. I look forward to game 3!

trysts

You do bring up a good point, keju. Nigel Short hasn't been bad. In fact he was very instructiveSmile

keju

But I'll concede he's a little self-absorbed sometimes and can take awfully long to complete a sentence. But I think that's just age Frown Still ... let's hope Timman is helpful too - I think he's commenting on the next game. I look forward to Anand with white!

trysts

Yes, I like that they are having a variety of commentatorsSmile

jesterville

I actually prefer Daniel King's commentary...far more qualitative content, we'll see on Monday how "the new guy" performs...there are a whole bunch of skills needed to be a great commentator, not just being good at chess.

...at one point for about 5 straight minutes they were discussing the position, and the board was not even up...I switches my attention to chessbomb then.

Charlotte

I found Nigel Short alot more tolerable today, he doesn't quote squares all the time, like some do. he was very careful to not say the wrong thing, ever. that's maybe why he takes ages to finish a sentence..

Conflagration_Planet

Where is this being broadcast?

Gichigami

http://moscow2012.fide.com

Conflagration_Planet
Gichigami wrote:

Thanks.

jesterville

I follow the games on the official site (cites above), as well as on "chessbomb", where you can see the best moves recommened by the computer(and you can also play out these lines for yourself to see where each branch will take you...there is also a written commentery by a GM), and then of course you can also follow it here at chess.com.

jesterville

Charlotte_212, I do agree that Nigel Short's commentary on the second day was an approvement on the first...so maybe there be hope for him in the future.Undecided

trysts

I watched the Gibralter tournament, jesterville, and I really enjoyed Simon Williams' commentary. He has been my favorite so far.

Charlotte
jesterville wrote:

Charlotte_212, I do agree that Nigel Short's commentary on the second day was an approvement on the first...so maybe there be hope for him in the future.

maybe, but i'm still glad he's disappeared!

i will miss tomorrows game because of work, if someone could post it in here that would be great?

trysts
Charlotte_212 wrote:

i will miss tomorrows game because of work, if someone could post it in here that would be great?

Sure willSmile

Charlotte

great!

jesterville

I missed that tourny trysts, and I've never even heard of Simon Williams. What stood out with his commentary that impressed you?

trysts

Here's a little piece of his commentary at the Gibralter Tournament:

I believe you can watch replays of his daily broadcast for that tournament, here:

http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/

It was a great tournament!Smile

jesterville

I cleared my morning schedule for tomorrow, just to enjoy the 3rd Game...hoping that we will get to see some fireworks...lightning has to be in this WCC Match somewhere soon. If his next game is drawn, I can see Gelfand then becoming a bit more agressive, and pushing. Of course, Anand knows that he has a clear advantage if the 12 ends even...so he will be in no pressure to take unnecessary chances. One thinking though, is that Anand may feel compelled to attack to show that he is the clear stronger player...but I don't support this strategy, nor do I believe Anand to be of such ego to care whether the #22 draws with him in this Match.