Forums

Veterans Day 2015

Sort:
DColquhoun

Today, November 11, 2015 is Veterans Day. Originally known as Armistice Day, the date commemorates the signing of the treaty which ended WWI. The armistice went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918. On this day we remember and honor all the men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States.  They have answered the call of their country in all corners of the world. They serve so that we can remain a free people, enjoying the liberties that so many can only dream of. President Washington once wrote that it was the duty of all able bodied patriots to serve the republic to ensure its prosperity. President Lincoln wrote in a similar fashion: "Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause."

Historically, large numbers of Americans answered the call of duty. During WWII, for example, over sixteen million served in the armed forces. Today, our volunteer military comprises less than one percent of the population. They are our fathers, mothers, sons and daughters, our brothers, sisters and friends. 

On this Veterans Day we especially remember all those currently deployed around the globe, and their families. Likewise, we salute everyone who has served honorably in the past. They give so much, and ask for little. If you know a veteran, a simple expression of thanks would be most appreciated. And if you are a veteran or active duty soldier, sailor, marine, airman or coast guardsman we invite you to join our group here at chess.com.  http://www.chess.com/groups/home/us-veterans-chess

Asitpasawala

Good I salute all veterans

FRENCHBASHER

Me too, and thanks to those who protected what we enjoy,                   freedom, democracy, peace.

Without them, 1918, 1945, ...today, we coud have the life style we enjoy in Western countries.

Pax Romana : 4 centuries. I wish same length or more to America the beautiful , in the interest itself of my country.

RonaldJosephCote