Why does chess.com allow an avatar of a Nazi?

the_chess_zebra

`This is very disconcerting.  I reported the Avatar 4 days ago and still no reply from Shaun, the manager of chess.com support team.

If chess.com is a family-friendly website, Nazi images have absolutely no place here.  I'm disgusted!!!

Martin_Stahl
the_chess_zebra wrote:

`This is very disconcerting.  I reported the Avatar 4 days ago and still no reply from Shaun, the manager of chess.com support team.

 

If chess.com is a family-friendly website, Nazi images have absolutely no place here.  I'm disgusted!!!

 

The site doesn't, if it is explicitly obvious that's what it is. If you sent in a ticket, not just a message to @shaun, they should handle it.

 

https://support.chess.com/article/346-contact-us

woollensock
Why must it always be a “ ticket “ and not via a message. Will you please clarify what the correct procedure is for reporting these sort of situations ! .......thanks
Martin_Stahl
woollensock wrote:
Why must it always be a “ ticket “ and not via a message. Will you please clarify what the correct procedure is for reporting these sort of situations ! .......thanks

 

Tickets are always the best procedure. A message may not be seen in a timely manner, and many staff members post on their profile not to submit support requests via message. When I say message, I mean direct messages here. An email to support@chess.com is similar to a ticket, though a ticket can be classified so that it is routed to the correct support group more quickly.

 

With a ticket, any support staff, or those that work on them, will be able to handle it, and schedules (working hours, vacation, just regular days off) are taken out of the equation.

woollensock
Many thanks Martin 😾👍
PlayG4

Is it a picture of a person in a Nazi uniform or a picture of a swastika? I ask, because the symbol is used in many Indian religions and is also a type of emoji in Korea.

GMproposedsolutions

Some people get disgusted seeing 6 pointed stars. Where do you want to draw the line in what's acceptable and what is not? Is chess.com suppose to support the slaughter of innocent people?

ANOK1

chess is an apolitical game , it doesnt ask the player to choose any side but the white pieces or the black pieces , 

it is played worldwide by millions closing in on possibly a billion or two billion players of varyiing ability , and in those numbers you will have those who hold different viewpoints to you even ones that may be abhorrent to you 

now nazis are not my cup of tea , i detest their political philosophy , but they do exist , chess players who support fascism , and fate may cause us to meet as opposing players , i choose to beat them if i can on the board , i leave it up to cc staff if this player having a nazi avi is against their terms of service

 

Hedgehog1963

So I'm guessing OP is referring to Alehkine?

DamonevicSmithlov

Ken_Ken0510

I think the fact that you are disgusted and reported a user for their avatar shows a certain amount of prejudice  on your part. I have traveled all around the world and it is safe to say that the swastica does not have the same meaning to everyone as it does to those who have had their belief systems conditioned by western history.

For instance from wikipedia:
The swastika or sauwastika (as a character, 卐 or 卍, respectively) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions.

There are carvings of the swastika that date back to the 9th century.

As far as I know there are a lot of players here from all around the world including India where the swastika holds different meanings. Part of a being a member of a GLOBAL COMMUNITY is accepting that your narrow view of the world and things in it are not viewed the same way by every citizen. 

Perhaps you have been "disgusted" out of your own ignorance?

ANOK1

re the swastika . yes its original meaning is the sun wheel however the nazi party choose to reverse it when making it their symbol , and of course this means it isnt a sun wheel , 

it represents darkness then 

 

beafraid3
Ken_Ken0510 wrote:

I think the fact that you are disgusted and reported a user for their avatar shows a certain amount of prejudice  on your part. I have traveled all around the world and it is safe to say that the swastica does not have the same meaning to everyone as it does to those who have had their belief systems conditioned by western history.

For instance from wikipedia:
The swastika or sauwastika (as a character, 卐 or 卍, respectively) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions.

There are carvings of the swastika that date back to the 9th century.

As far as I know there are a lot of players here from all around the world including India where the swastika holds different meanings. Part of a being a member of a GLOBAL COMMUNITY is accepting that your narrow view of the world and things in it are not viewed the same way by every citizen. 

Perhaps you have been "disgusted" out of your own ignorance?

The best reply

IMBacon
the_chess_zebra wrote:

`This is very disconcerting.  I reported the Avatar 4 days ago and still no reply from Shaun, the manager of chess.com support team.

 

If chess.com is a family-friendly website, Nazi images have absolutely no place here.  I'm disgusted!!!

Use the interwebz, and learn what the swastika symbol stands for originally.

IMBacon
woollensock wrote:
Why must it always be a “ ticket “ and not via a message. Will you please clarify what the correct procedure is for reporting these sort of situations ! .......thanks

I will help clarify this for ya...

The "new" Report button does not work.  I sent 6 "Reports" and not a single reply in over a month. 

I had to use the email the support team directly  to get a reply. 

ANOK1

in that situation gf3 i am hoping FIDE  or even cc introduce a hyperspace variant(like in the old arcade game Asteroids ) where the king can teleport to another square which might save his skin or hear the dreaded phrase 

game over please insert new coin  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDU3hHU0Mg

the_chess_zebra
Martin_Stahl wrote:

"The site doesn't, if it is explicitly obvious that's what it is. If you sent in a ticket, not just a message to @shaun, they should handle it."

I did file a report and put ATTN SHAUN URGENT in the subject header.

 

https://support.chess.com/article/346-contact-us

 

the_chess_zebra
PlayG4 wrote:

"Is it a picture of a person in a Nazi uniform or a picture of a swastika? I ask, because the symbol is used in many Indian religions and is also a type of emoji in Korea."

The Nazi Swastika is backwards from the one associated with Buddhism and the FInnish Air Force.  The uniform is an SS Wehrmacht - i.e., Nazi special forces.  Please go back to History 101 and try to pass this time around, ok?

 

the_chess_zebra
gf3 wrote:

"man if you're bothered by stuff, how you gonna deal with a bishop pin on f6 knight when the doubled rooks are barrelling down the open g file seriously"

Let me clue you in, pal, my grandfather landed on the shores of Normandy, my other grandfather was OSS and penetrated Soviet territory, for which he gave the ultimtae sacrifice after 6 successful missions.  I am bothered by "this stuff" and you should be too.  There is no room on this planet to extol Nazi's.   If you want to know why, go visit the graves of 11 million innocent people, exterminated by the Nazi's.  I'll help you pack for your trip.

 

the_chess_zebra
gf3 wrote:

"man if you're bothered by stuff, how you gonna deal with a bishop pin on f6 knight when the doubled rooks are barrelling down the open g file seriously"

Let me clue you in, pal, my grandfather landed on the shores of Normandy, my other grandfather was OSS and penetrated Soviet territory, for which he gave the ultimtae sacrifice after 6 successful missions.  I am bothered by "this stuff" and you should be too.  There is no room on this planet to extol Nazi's.   If you want to know why, go visit the graves of 11 million innocent people, exterminated by the Nazi's.  I'll help you pack for your trip.

 

This forum topic has been locked