Forums

Check your endgame skills

Sort:
MSC157

Here's one beautiful endgame tactic I found on Chesstempo. It was rated 2450+. Good luck. Smile

AlcherTheMovie

You should have made it a puzzle. I was dragging the pieces and then, oh well its posted as a game .

Pre_VizsIa

Nice, but doesn't deserve a 2450 rating :)

Pre_VizsIa
AlcherTheMovie wrote:

You should have made it a puzzle. I was dragging the pieces and then, oh well its posted as a game .

It is. Did he change it?

AlcherTheMovie

I swear when I first saw it it was posted  as a game. He edited it to a puzzle for sure. 

shepi13

I don't understand it, even after seeing the solution. What's the point of Bh6??

AlcherTheMovie

@shepi.To make use of Rh7+ .

Escapest_Pawn

shepi13

threatens to take pawn or Bg5+ Ke8, e7

shepi13

I think I see, if 3...f3 then Rh7+ Ke8 Bxf8 Kxf8 Rf7+ and Rxf3, with a won rook ending. If 3... Rd8+ Ke5 Bxh6 Rxh6 is also a won ending, as white's pawn is far enough advanced to create mating and queening threats.

Escapest_Pawn

You are right, my idea fails to

3...f3

4 Bg5+ Ke8

5 e7 Kf7

6 Rh7 Kg8 

MSC157
AlcherTheMovie wrote:

Sorry AlcherTheMovie, by a stroke of bad luck I clicked on "game" and not "puzzle". I wanted to change it as quick as possible but seems you have already clicked on the thread.

Timothy_P, rating on Chesstempo is based just on correct (100%) solutions. 

Spielkalb

Nice one, thanks for sharing this! 

First and second moves came quite easy, third one was more to think about.

x-5058622868

Maybe the moves are: 

3...f3

4. Bg5+ Ke8 

5. Kd6 followed by 6. e7 

Sorry, this isn't right either.

It's Rh7+, but it looks like someone already posted the answer.

Spielkalb
Timothy_P wrote:

Nice, but doesn't deserve a 2450 rating :)

Since the puzzles get their ratings dynamically in the same way as the user's rating this doesn't make much sense to me.

shepi13
Spielkalb wrote:

Nice one, thanks for sharing this! 

First and second moves came quite easy, third one was more to think about.

The first and second moves don't come as easily if you don't see the third move. My thoughts were, Rh8+ Bf8 Bg7 Ke7 then what? I don't see a win. Otherwise, Rh8+ Bf8 e7 Kf7 then what? exf8 Rxf8 is a drawn ending, so I still don't see a win. The problem is impossible to solve if you don't see Bh6 and the lines that follow, leading to easily won endings. Note that the lines that follow are much more complicated than the third move played (Bxh6), which is why this problem has such a high rating.

Pre_VizsIa
MSC157 wrote:
AlcherTheMovie wrote:

Sorry AlcherTheMovie, by a stroke of bad luck I clicked on "game" and not "puzzle". I wanted to change it as quick as possible but seems you have already clicked on the thread.

Timothy_P, rating on Chesstempo is based just on correct (100%) solutions. 

The above is why you are right Spielkalb. I think the first two moves would be found by most people, which if it was like chess.com's would lower the problem's rating.

azziralc

Good puzzle!

MSC157

shepi13 knows what's he talking about! :)

k90762289487
shepi13 wrote:

I think I see, if 3...f3 then Rh7+ Ke8 Bxf8 Kxf8 Rf7+ and Rxf3, with a won rook ending. If 3... Rd8+ Ke5 Bxh6 Rxh6 is also a won ending, as white's pawn is far enough advanced to create mating and queening threats.

In the line 3...Rd8+ 4.Ke5 Bxh6 5.Rxh6 doesn't 5...Rf8 lead to a draw? Now black has his rook behind his passed pawn and also can avoid mating threats.

alanmajo125

what's your rating in chesstempo mine is 1500