Chess.com's Weekly Study: April 3rd 2016

DailyFun

Hello Chess.com!

Starting with 2016, we will be posting a Weekly Study, courtesy of Yochanan Afek, Grandmaster for composing endgame studies. These challenging positions are designed to stimulate (and improve upon!) your creativity, depth of calculation, pattern recognition and pure imagination.

J. Rusinek, 1978

Enjoy!

n9531l

A pretty pattern at the end, but Black didn't have to be so cooperative. Instead of promoting, 4...Rf1 could have lengthened the game by at least 15 moves compared to the given solution, and Black would have even had a few drawing chances if White got careless.

fightingbob
n9531l wrote:

A pretty pattern at the end, but Black didn't have to be so cooperative. Instead of promoting, 4...Rf1 could have lengthened the game by at least 15 moves compared to the given solution, and Black would have even had a few drawing chances if White got careless.

Haven't look at this study yet, but thanks for the post, Bob.  Looks interesting.

TomHaegin

Cool, excellent idea to have endgame studies, I welcome it. Now need only to solve the problem.

The solution is brilliant, but I utterly failed move 2 and 3. Then it became clearer.

fightingbob
n9531l wrote:

A pretty pattern at the end, but Black didn't have to be so cooperative. Instead of promoting, 4...Rf1 could have lengthened the game by at least 15 moves compared to the given solution, and Black would have even had a few drawing chances if White got careless.

I didn't solve this one, Bob, because after 1.Nf4+ I played 1...Kg1 and could not find a decent continuation so I went back to 1.Kg4 and 1.Kh4 but could not get anything to work.  Now I see that after 1.Nf4+ White can pile up on the e2 pawn with 2.Re8 and if  2...Kf1, 3.Bc4 or if 2...Kf2, 3.Nd3+ Kf1, 4.Rf8+.  I was thinking mating net and not piling up on the pawn so I missed it.

Lastly, good point about 4...Rf1 and not being so cooperative.  Did you find this move yourself or with the 7-piece database?  Is that 7-piece database online?

Best,
Bob

chesskingdreamer

Not how a study works. Black's only goal is to make life tough for white, or to make the most critical continuation. Rf1 Rh8 Kg3 Rh3 Kf2 Rh2+ +-.

n9531l
fightingbob wrote:

Lastly, good point about 4...Rf1 and not being so cooperative.  Did you find this move yourself or with the 7-piece database?  Is that 7-piece database online?

The tablebases (tb7.chessok.com) show that with Black's best (most protractive) moves, White will mate in 23. If Black makes the mistake suggested by chesskingdreamer, 5...Kg3 (instead of Kg1), it will be a mate in 10 instead of 23. But of course Black's goal is to make life tough for White.

fightingbob
chesskingdreamer wrote:

Not how a study works. Black's only goal is to make life tough for white, or to make the most critical continuation. Rf1 Rh8 Kg3 Rh3 Kf2 Rh2+ +-.

To whom are you referring?  I have been solving endgame studies for 30 years and Bob Baker longer than that I would imagine.  I also don't poke around on Chess.com but do it on my travel set until it's solved, which is harder because you don't have Chess.com making Black's moves.

After 1.Ng4 I played 1...Kg1 because it seemed best for Black.  Like I said, I missed the idea that 1...Kg1 blocks a check and allows White to pile up on the pawn (or perhaps something even better) for a win.  If I'd have seen this I would have continued with 1...Kg3 because it attacks the knight, keeps the rook from attacking the pawn a second time, and threatens check followed by the promotion of the pawn.  In other words, I would have seen the usefulness and full power of 1.Nf4+.

fightingbob
n9531l wrote:
fightingbob wrote:

Lastly, good point about 4...Rf1 and not being so cooperative.  Did you find this move yourself or with the 7-piece database?  Is that 7-piece database online?

The tablebases (tb7.chessok.com) show that with Black's best (most protractive) moves, White will mate in 23. If Black makes the mistake suggested by chesskingdreamer, 5...Kg3 (instead of Kg1), it will be a mate in 10 instead of 23. But of course Black's goal is to make life tough for White.

Thanks for the link, Bob.  I see you have to sign up and get a key to use the 7-piece tablebase.  I assume they are charging for that, correct?

n9531l

In exchange for a $25 donation to chessedu.org, I was given a key good for a year.

fightingbob
n9531l wrote:

In exchange for a $25 donation to chessedu.org, I was given a key good for a year.

Interesting, Bob, I gave $25 to chessedu.org to continue to access ChessCafe.  What does chessedu.org have to do with ChessOK and the Lomonosov Tablebases?  Are you sure there isn't some confusion?

n9531l

Yeah, I think I did the donation to get at the ChessCafe archives. When I remember how I got the Lomonosov key, I'll let you know.

n9531l

It's coming back to me. I'm pretty sure I got the key as a download from the shop at newinchess.com. See if you can get that to work.

fightingbob
n9531l wrote:

It's coming back to me. I'm pretty sure I got the key as a download from the shop at newinchess.com. See if you can get that to work.

Thanks, Bob.  I just checked and it's $29.95 at newinchess.com.  I think I'll do without for that price, though the programmers deserve ever ruble for the work they put into it.