Chess.com's Weekly Study: March 13th 2016

DailyFun

Hello Chess.com!

Starting with 2016, we will be posting a Weekly Study, courtesy of Yochanan Afek, Grandmaster for composing endgame studies. These challenging positions are designed to stimulate (and improve upon!) your creativity, depth of calculation, pattern recognition and pure imagination.

H. Mattison, 1914

Enjoy!

chesskingdreamer

Second!

Nice puzzle!

n9531l

This is a good one. White has many chances to go wrong and lose, and they all have to be analyzed to find their flaw. It seems amazing that this study could have been composed in 1914, when a computer was a person sitting at a desk with pencil and paper, and if lucky a mechanical calculator.

kavitsa

why would not come to a1 via chess in a8 to prevent the pawn becoming a queen?

n9531l
kavitsa wrote:

why would not come to a1 via chess in a8 to prevent the pawn becoming a queen?

If the rook goes to a1 it gets skewered by a bishop check.

fightingbob
n9531l wrote:

This is a good one. White has many chances to go wrong and lose, and they all have to be analyzed to find their flaw. It seems amazing that this study could have been composed in 1914, when a computer was a person sitting at a desk with pencil and paper, and if lucky a mechanical calculator.

You're right, it is a good one, Bob.  I don't know Mattison's methods, but I assume he worked backwards from the attractive stalemate.  Also, a nice sacrifice of the rook to place the king on just the right square for the skewer to prevent a second solution; I almost missed it.

I also liked the March 6, primarily "only move" composition of M. Liburkin, 1987.  Naturally, I had to venture the under-promotion to a knight first to try to hold, but with no success.  The chess.com variation with the under-promoted knight has both a typo and also not the best defense for Black.  I wrote chess.com about both, but they have not corrected it yet.  Perhaps they are busy; we'll see.

Best,
Bob

DailyFun

Next puzzle!

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/endgames/chesscoms-weekly-study-march-20th-2016