Forums

Alternatives to Playing Italian Game (900 elo)

Sort:
themaskedbishop

If you are a beginner, stay away from d4 or c4. I know, it seems restrictive but all the best advice is to learn the tactical principles and situations that arise from e4 openings first, before you start down the positional road of the queenside games.

Indeed, I've seen advice saying don't push d4 until you are rated 2000, or no longer a class player. That seems a little extreme, but the idea behind it is sound - if you can't make rating points with e4, you sure aren't going to make them with d4.

To your specific question, the Vienna Game is a sound alternative. So is the Scotch. Both of them have gambit variations if that's your thing, and they both are built around simple ideas and don't come saddled with a lot of theory. Plus the Vienna Game can inspire some exploration of the King's Gambit, an opening that doesn't get a love these days.

Compadre_J
EnviableCavador5726 wrote:
Compadre_J wrote:

I guess it all depends on the OP definition of boring.

I play the Fried Liver attack which I think isn’t boring, but maybe the OP thinks it is.

I can't really use it because 9 times out of 10 your opponent knows the trap and prevents it

The Fried Liver Attack isn’t a trap.

It is a valid main line.

Black Side Players can seek to avoid it, but it doesn’t change anything.

The lines are still not boring and they are fun!

tygxc

@17

"Mostly because whenever I use it, I do badly."
++ What makes you think you will be great with using something else?
The Italian is a sound opening even played in World Championship Matches.
If you do badly, then it is because you make tactical mistakes, not because of the opening.

tygxc

@18

"your opponent knows the trap and prevents it"
++ Chess is not about traps and about hoping your opponent falls into it.
Chess is about logic.

RussBell

@EnviableCavador5726 -

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond.....

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

Chess Openings Resources for Beginners and Beyond…

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/openings-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

EnviableCavador5726
themaskedbishop wrote:

If you are a beginner, stay away from d4 or c4. I know, it seems restrictive but all the best advice is to learn the tactical principles and situations that arise from e4 openings first, before you start down the positional road of the queenside games.

Indeed, I've seen advice saying don't push d4 until you are rated 2000, or no longer a class player. That seems a little extreme, but the idea behind it is sound - if you can't make rating points with e4, you sure aren't going to make them with d4.

To your specific question, the Vienna Game is a sound alternative. So is the Scotch. Both of them have gambit variations if that's your thing, and they both are built around simple ideas and don't come saddled with a lot of theory. Plus the Vienna Game can inspire some exploration of the King's Gambit, an opening that doesn't get a love these days.

This might work, the Vienna seems a little weird because you're defending a pawn when it's already defend and therefore I don't really get the opening. Also, the Vienna Gambit sounds cool but everybody respods with Nf6 instead of Nc3

EnviableCavador5726
themaskedbishop wrote:

This might work, the Vienna seems a little weird because you're defending a pawn when it's already defend and therefore I don't really get the opening. Also, the Vienna Gambit sounds cool but everybody responds with Nc6 instead of Nf6

EnviableCavador5726
Compadre_J wrote:
Compadre_J wrote:

I guess it all depends on the OP definition of boring.

I play the Fried Liver attack which I think isn’t boring, but maybe the OP thinks it is.

I can't really use it because 9 times out of 10 your opponent knows the trap and prevents it

The Fried Liver Attack isn’t a trap.

It is a valid main line.

Black Side Players can seek to avoid it, but it doesn’t change anything.

The lines are still not boring and they are fun!

I did not know that. How do you usually use it?

tygxc

@26

"you're defending a pawn when it's already defend"
++ Nimzovich called this overprotection: protect more than attacked.
This means none of the defenders are tied to the defense and all are free to move.
Also your opponent cannot make you defend by attacking, as it is already overprotected.

tygxc

@28

"How do you usually use it?"
Here is an example:

ChessMasteryOfficial

Vienna. It often leads to dynamic and unbalanced positions. It can catch opponents off guard and offers chances for aggressive play.

Tychooju12

Alternative?

Stop playing chess.

EnviableCavador5726
ChessMasteryOfficial wrote:

Vienna. It often leads to dynamic and unbalanced positions. It can catch opponents off guard and offers chances for aggressive play.

I guess I'll try out the Vienna. How can I start learning it?

Compadre_J

Their is an entire thread which talks about Fried Liver and the different lines which can come from the line.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/fried-liver-16

The above diagram is the main continuation.

What Black does can affect how white continues.

The move Nxd5 is considered an error for Black and it can lead to Fried Liver.

Better moves for Black is Na5, b5, or Nd4.

Na5 is probably the more popular among stronger players.

White position is fine though in those lines.

In the other thread, I shared dozens of games showcasing those different moves.

‘They are all playable.

blueemu
magipi wrote:

The funniest part is that the OP finds the Italian boring, when it probably has more sharp variations than any other opening.

blueemu
themaskedbishop wrote:

If you are a beginner, stay away from d4 or c4.

A beginner should experiment with openings until they find something they like.

As a beginner, your main goal should be to LEARN. To improve.

Not just to beat other beginners. That gets you nowhere.

EnviableCavador5726
blueemu wrote:
themaskedbishop wrote:

If you are a beginner, stay away from d4 or c4.

A beginner should experiment with openings until they find something they like.

As a beginner, your main goal should be to LEARN. To improve.

Not just to beat other beginners. That gets you nowhere.

That's actually my main goal, I can't find an opening I like and if I want to try to learn one it seems very very very complicated.

blueemu

Openings are almost irrelevant at the 1000 level. Your losses will be due to blunders, not to your choice of opening. The only real effect that your choice of opening can have is that you might feel more comfortable and more confident in certain types of position.

Poor situational awareness accounts for the vast majority of losses at the 1000 level.

Why should it be complicated? Are you going to be facing GMs who know 20 moves of theory? Or will you be facing other 1000-rated players who know no more theory than you do?

Just pick an opening whose goals you understand. Playing something you understand will minimize blunders.

Mazetoskylo
theeldest1 wrote:

Play a Vienna with f4 at some point. If you want a completely different opening, try 1.d4 or 1.c4 maybe 1.Nf3

I would use the Vienna Gambit but the problem is every game I go into they respond with the Max Lange Defense.

I guess that you just enter an opening you are not familiar even with its name.

There is no "Max Lange Defense", just Max Lange Attack. And after 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3, it's already impossible to transpose the game to the Max Lange Attack.

AAlumni
I love the Italian and most any open game.