Forums

How to Prevent Misses (around 800 ELO)

Sort:
chesster7888

Hello! I am currently around 770 elo and when I analyze my games, the one thing I see very consistently is misses. How do I stop missing possible tactics and not be ignorant to my opponent's blunders?

ChessMasteryOfficial

Stay vigilant and regularly scan the entire board for tactical possibilities. Avoid tunnel vision by considering all possible captures, threats and tactical motifs before making your move.

chesster7888
ChessMasteryOfficial wrote:

Stay vigilant and regularly scan the entire board for tactical possibilities. Avoid tunnel vision by considering all possible captures, threats and tactical motifs before making your move.

Thanks! I just tried out the "possible captures and threats" when making moves and this helped a lot!

BoofinHard

Things like that take experience. Just keep reviewing your games and learn from mistakes. You will find eventually you will see the tactics without even thinking too much. I've gained a fair bit of elo recently by reviewing more.

BoofinHard

Also watch vids on YouTube. Gotham Chess and chess vibes are two guys id recommend for getting a comprehensive explanation on things.

chesster7888
BoofinHard wrote:

Also watch vids on YouTube. Gotham Chess and chess vibes are two guys id recommend for getting a comprehensive explanation on things.

Thanks for the recommendations! I really like Chess Vibes's style of teaching.

tygxc

'When you see a good move, look for a better one' - Lasker