Forums

Struggling to learn (rated 614 rapid)

Sort:
Phen1231983

Hello! I'm pretty new to chess and I'm struggling to improve. I do puzzles all the time. I play a few games a day against people. I play bot games all the time. I can beat bots up to 1200 but I struggle to beat humans rated 500. 

Unfortunately, due to COVID I can't afford a tutor as I was furloughed at work and I'm living on savings at the moment. I learn best when I have a structured method of learning. Step by step. I'm struggling to find anything like this. There is so much material available I have no idea where to begin. 

At this point I feel a bit lost in my chess journey which is discouraging. I'm developing a great love of the game but it would be nice to be relatively good at the game I love! 

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

daxypoo
john bartholomew “climbing the ratings ladder” and “chess fundamentals”

video series

check out his youtube channel
JijoAttumalilJose

Let's play. I will try to help you.happy.png

JijoAttumalilJose

You can see 'learn' button on the left side of your screen. Hover your mouse on that. You will find 'lessons'. Click on that. Now you can find lessons on various topics. Explanation is given in English. Follow them, understand them and practice them. If still you have doubts, you may ask me. happy.png

Phen1231983

Thank you Jijo and Daxy. I don't have time to play a game at the moment as I'm looking for a new job but I appreciate your offer and perhaps we can play some other time! 

holyflam3

Message me if you want to play. I was at your rating two weeks ago, and just crossed 800. We can play casual games to discuss moves. From what I've learnt so far, the fastest way to grow is to play solid and actively avoid getting tunnel-visioned. Also, don't look at your opponent's rating, if it affects you psychologically.

DarkKnightAttack

Use Chess.com resources, Puzzles, Opening explorer and videos.

catmaster0
Phen1231983 wrote:

Hello! I'm pretty new to chess and I'm struggling to improve. I do puzzles all the time. I play a few games a day against people. I play bot games all the time. I can beat bots up to 1200 but I struggle to beat humans rated 500. 

Unfortunately, due to COVID I can't afford a tutor as I was furloughed at work and I'm living on savings at the moment. I learn best when I have a structured method of learning. Step by step. I'm struggling to find anything like this. There is so much material available I have no idea where to begin. 

At this point I feel a bit lost in my chess journey which is discouraging. I'm developing a great love of the game but it would be nice to be relatively good at the game I love! 

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Check on your past games and focus on not giving away pieces for free, as well as taking your opponent's free pieces. Post your close games and losses here with some of your own thoughts on the moves. You need to notice when there are more pieces attacking a square with something on it than defending it. If it's your opponent's piece, then you should probably take it. If it's your piece, than you should prevent them from just being able to take it. Also make sure you know the relative value of pieces (pawn=1 point, knight=3 points, bishop=3 points, rook=5 points, queen=9 points, the king is everything of course.) Don't let them trade their weaker pieces for your stronger ones and try to trade your own weaker pieces for their stronger ones. That alone should improve your rating considerably. You will find these kinds of mistakes all over your games.

nklristic
Phen1231983 wrote:

Thank you!

I've written a guide for improvement of lower rated players. You can find suggestions there on how to play and what to train, and I've mentioned useful YouTube channels that helped and are still helping me improve. 

If you have the time, feel free to check this out:

https://www.chess.com/blog/nklristic/the-beginners-tale-first-steps-to-chess-improvement

Phen1231983

Thank you so much to everyone for being so helpful! This is a great and welcoming community and I greatly appreciate that. My best wishes to you all!

RussBell

check out my blog.....lots of helpful stuff there....recommended books, resources, articles, etc....especially for beginners...

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell