Forums

2106 is just a number

Sort:
solskytz

BUT WHAT A NUMBER!!!!

There were many remarkable games tonight. I don't know why sometimes I just seem to be "on fire" - everything I do works, the opponents do crazy things, really game after game - like there's some magic in the air. 

Beating another 2100 player 2.5 : 1.5 just before this game wasn't quite enough to do the trick (it did allow me to add a point to my record (2092), and then another one (2093), though...)

but here's the game that clinched it - as unremarkable as one may find...

but my opponent WAS rated 2190 before our game. It probably counts for something, I suppose. 

Over these last few games, after I crossed 2070 again (it's been a while, though) - I kept reminding myself - "you can do it! You can do it!"

Then I started to get all of those scary opponents near the end (of course - what did you think? You'll get close to 2100 and they'll keep sending you lambs?) - but somehow or other it more or less worked out, sometimes with more elegance, sometimes with a bit less... :-)

CHESS IS A FIGHTING GAME!

Robert_New_Alekhine

Nice one solskytz! 

solskytz

Thanks buddy!!

Logozar just told me that I should battle you in blitz - if I dare - that you're very strong (as if I didn't know that)

I told him - I'm not so good in blitz... just 2103 !!!! :-)

Robert_New_Alekhine

But how many blitz games have I been on the ropes against you? 

solskytz

You fell into a bit of my opening trickery. 

Here's one I won from GACG the other day, in the same variation...

DiogenesDue

Nice game, I have come close to winning with double check while both pieces are enprise before, but it has never worked out :).  It's like winning a match point in tennis on a volley where you have completely overextended yourself but the shot is so perfect it just doesn't matter.

MSC157

Many congrats :)

andyquibler

lol good job 

solskytz

<btickler> the allegory fits ... :-)

<MSC157> thanks :-) I'm kind of surprised actually... :-)

<Andyquibler> thanks - and nice to meet!!

andyquibler

maybe 2203 tomorrow ^^

erik42085

Good job! At least somebody is doing good today..... sigh. I got recently got knocked below 1400 for the first time in a long time, I'm so freaking done with blitz lol. I can't take the roller coaster anymore!

solskytz

2203 tomorrow!! :-)

I will probably let it relax for a day or two, and play blitz only in (insert competing site) ...

<erik42085> yeah - one needs to take a breather sometimes...

DoctorStrange

Awesome!!

Robert_New_Alekhine
erik42085 wrote:

Good job! At least somebody is doing good today..... sigh. I got recently got knocked below 1400 for the first time in a long time, I'm so freaking done with blitz lol. I can't take the roller coaster anymore!

I can sympthatize--won 6-1 against a 1700, and then went 2-1 (blundered a piece...) against a 1400. The long and short of it is that my rating went down 30 points to 2117. 

Robert_New_Alekhine

I was actually watching solskytz's games a couple of times. Saw his rating finally over 2100 LIVE! 

erik42085

Robert, oh you poor s.o.b your rating went all the way down to 2117! Lol. I'm starting to think I'll never be very good at blitz. I just can't think fast enough. More often than not I'm strategically won but by then I don't have enough time left to convert. I think I'm just gonna quit blitz permanently. Its not fun anymore.

solskytz

<Robert> indeed, it's merciful that the system doesn't punish us worse for losing to people way below our ratings... :-)

What an honor!! You were actually part of the original EXCITEMENT yesterday :-) 

<Harish73> Definitely felt so !!!!

<Stuzzicadenti> Thanks :-) 

I remember some years back simply being impressed with the PLAY of these people - not so much their ratings... 

It's still hugely impressive for me watching a stronger player play - even when it's against me...

solskytz

You look at my last couple of games from tonight (still 2103, same as yesterday...), you get the impression that blitz 2100ness is about playing the game to a patent draw, then just flagging your opponent...

A totally different game than the kind of OTB chess one plays in order to gain a title, eventually, one day...

Happily it's not always like that - but these two games were remarkable. 

Game one: done to me

Game two: I did to others

Robert_New_Alekhine
solskytz wrote:

You look at my last couple of games from tonight (still 2103, same as yesterday...), you get the impression that blitz 2100ness is about playing the game to a patent draw, then just flagging your opponent...

A totally different game than the kind of OTB chess one plays in order to gain a title, eventually, one day...

Happily it's not always like that - but these two games were remarkable. 

Game one: done to me

Game two: I did to others

I should go U2100, as what usually happens is that I get a lost position and then flag my opponent on time...

solskytz

Unbelievable!

You see - this makes you pretty much divorced from actual chess - because you can never employ such play in today's competitive settings, which always involve increments. 

Totally impractical...

But seriously - 3 0 is fun and a form of art in itself - always you'll get a great idea and then flag, or your opponent will get a great idea and you'll flag him, or you'll flag (maybe flog actually?) each other to the death in a dead drawn situation?

You try to "solve" this by playing 3 2- suddenly everybody plays WAY better and it's really a very different sort of game.