Forums

Signs you're a bad chess player

Sort:
ploboo

You tell your opponent before staring that you'll quickly just grab a coke and when you come back you use the bottle cap as the missing bishop.

MoonlessNight

You get a "G" on a chess test.

You have a "don't ask don't tell" rule for your rating.

Kolob68

You make it to the 8th rank with one of your pawns and you promote it to another pawn.

AndTheLittleOneSaid
Kolob68 wrote:

You make it to the 8th rank with one of your pawns and you promote it to another pawn.

You move your pawn past the 8th rank and cry "I win!!"

Ben_Dubuque
ploboo wrote:

You still refer to the little guys as prawns.

I refert to them as baby queens

BobLorna
bagpiper123456 wrote

3. You think queens can move like knights

That's what my mom taught me when I was really young. And being six years old - of course my mom knew everything and was never wrong.

Ben_Dubuque

She is still never wrong, you just choose to ignore her "truths"

and to add, you play Nc3 in responce to the Alekhine

Elroch

You huff your opponent when he fails to capture your pieces.

Ben_Dubuque

cute You play e4 when white because some chess coach told you to

you play e4 because Bobby Fischer sait it was Best by Test

you play e5 in response to e4 for the same reasons

you prefer the black pieces because you dont want to be racist

whirlwind2011
jetfighter13 wrote:

cute You play e4 when white because some chess coach told you to

you play e4 because Bobby Fischer sait it was Best by Test

you play e5 in response to e4 for the same reasons

you prefer the black pieces because you dont want to be racist

How does this indicate a bad chess player?

whirlwind2011
jetfighter13 wrote:

She is still never wrong, you just choose to ignore her "truths"

and to add, you play Nc3 in responce to the Alekhine

This isn't an indication of a bad chess player either. It isn't as strong as 2. e5, but it's quite playable.

Ben_Dubuque

thats not the point, e5 is a natural move, and playing Nc3 is defensive, almost giving up the advantage of the first move

and best by test statement, means that you recklessly trust people and dont think and do research on what people tell you

whirlwind2011
jetfighter13 wrote:

thats not the point, e5 is a natural move, and playing Nc3 is defensive, almost giving up the advantage of the first move

and best by test statement, means that you recklessly trust people and dont think and do research on what people tell you

2. e5 is the more natural move, I agree, as well as being stronger. Still, 2. Nc3 is not the earmark of a bad player, because White's position is still perfectly fine after that. It's not nearly as bad as, say, a Fool's Mate!

And, yes, recklessly trusting people, and not thinking and doing one's own research--those are what make a bad player. The "best by test" claim is not, of itself, so bad at all, but the reasons you gave are very bad, and those are what I was waiting to see. Smile

Elroch

You play Philidor's defense because you always have.

Ben_Dubuque
[COMMENT DELETED]
DACKZANOUS

When you have to make fun of other players, so you can feel superior.

Unicyclist

Whoa, this thread isn't meant to be mean to anyone. If you look through it it's more or less just a collection of chess jokes. Except for Jetfighter13's latest posts, which are a little mean, but he's the only one.

Ben_Dubuque

sorry bout that, how bout if you post a game and after posting it that you made a horrendous blunder and suddenly delete it like i just did

MyCowsCanFly

I think we are just making fun of ourselves.

ploboo

You always carry an aerosol can with a lighter to tournaments. Although you've never used them, if things get really bad on the board you're fairly sure you can work them and turn yourself into a human torch and get a draw, as well as a little sympathy. 

Or turn the flame on the board and your opponent and claim they spontaneously combusted.