Sort:
jp_23

When you think that Karpov is a fish.

AndyClifton

or Kasparov is a ghost

Conflagration_Planet
jp_23 wrote:

Karpov, and Fischer are the only two chess players I'd ever heard of before joining this site.

AndyClifton

You'd heard of Karp but not Kasp?  Really?

trysts
woodshover wrote:
jp_23 wrote:

Karpov, and Fischer are the only two chess players I'd ever heard of before joining this site.

About 11 years ago, when I first started playing, I don't know that I had heard of Fischer even. Now I'm following Yifan Hou's career, and can probably name almost a hundred chess masters without any difficulty! That's pretty neat!Smile

Conflagration_Planet
AndyClifton wrote:

You'd heard of Karp but not Kasp?  Really?

Yep. I'd just vaguely remembered somebody mention he was a world class Russian chess player.

pauix
trysts wrote:
woodshover wrote:
jp_23 wrote:

About 11 years ago, when I first started playing, I don't know that I had heard of Fischer even. Now I'm following Yifan Hou's career, and can probably name almost a hundred chess masters without any difficulty! That's pretty neat!

Same here. I only knew the 2 K's (Karpov & Kasparov) before joining this web, now I can name almost all the World champions (Steinitz, Lasker, Capa, Alekhine, Euwe, Smyslov, Botvinnik, Tal, Petrosian, Korchnoi, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik)

Ben_Dubuque

Korchnoi never made it, Spassky was the one Fischer played

jamesing

I love the idea of the King sacrifice!  Absurd?  Obviously.

e4nf3

Chess is a sonnet...or a screech...depends on how well you play, I suppose.

A bad chess player:

Immoney5252

when you have  your own class  Z

corpsporc

Choosing moves at random improves your winning chances.

e4nf3

Now here's the rub. It's this word "bad".

If you are a "bad" chess player, does that mean you are a felon, an evil-doer, or such, who happens to be a chess player? Perhaps, in your case...yes.

"Bad" is an adjective for which the implication is actually meant not for the person, per se, but in regard to their chess playing ability.

In which case, "bad" is still inapropriate. How can chess play be either "good" or "bad"? Where is the moral or legal basis?

Anyway, I would suggest the following (please feel free to correct me or invent your own wording):

"He is a fine fellow, but his chess play is simply dreadful."

Nuts. That sounds 19th-century archaic.

I suppose, "bad chess player" will have to do.

Immoney5252

When....U log on a checkers screen pops up!!!!!

e4nf3

Aw right, this is getting long in the tooth. I can't think of a thing that hasn't already been said.

I just watched Casablanca (for probably the 10th time) and in his opening scene, there was Humphrey Bogart sitting at a chessboard (I suppose that I had forgotten about this).

I strained my eyes to see if the pieces were on the right squares (which is often not the case in movies and print). I didn't have an adequate view. That and my eyesight has seen better days.

The point is, I was wondering if maybe Humphrey Bogart was a bad chess player.

e4nf3

Hey, that's great news!

BTW, I lied when I said that I can't think of anything else to say Wink.

Immoney5252

When you have more Blog Points than actual rating Points!!!!

Immoney5252
chubbychocobo wrote:
Immoney5252 wrote:

When you have more Blog Points than actual rating Points!!!!

cpotm winners will not be pleased ...

SO!!!!

DrSarnie
e4nf3 wrote:

The point is, I was wondering if maybe Humphrey Bogart was a bad chess player.

The hell he was.

No, wait! That was John Wayne.

e4nf3

If you are a bad chess player, perhaps your offsetting attributes are actually praiseworthy:

a. You lack evil, Machiavellian mad-dog killer instincts (keeps you out of jail).

b. You have empathy for your fellow human (and thusly, chess players) and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

c. You are too scrupulous to stoop to chicanery (nice way to say cheating).

d. Winning isn't "everything".

e. You have a "life" (and the females find you very attrative).

I could go on ad infinitum, but that would be an exercise in futility. It's all a pack of lies.

Truth is, even if you are a truly bad chess player, chances are that at least your dog still loves you.