Forums

Signs you're a bad chess player

Sort:
felj

This is great e4nf3, I'm dying for the next installment already! LaughingTongue outCool

stanhope13

Why does everyone go on about Bobby Fischer, surely he was his own worst enemy.

e4nf3

I suspect that you enjoy pouting. Try to emulate Bobby; he never pouted.

Here we discover that Tal had thought that Bobby was a bad chess player.

When I asked Fischer why he had not played a certain move in our game, he replied: 'Well, you laughed when I wrote it down!'" -- Mikhail Tal 

e4nf3

Maybe Bobby really was a bad chess player?

Here is a tally of people who have beaten Bobby. Can you imagine the pain Bobby felt from each and every one of these losses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_beaten_Bobby_Fischer_in_chess

Dozens of players have beaten Bobby. Some, multiple times. Spassky did so 10 times.

e4nf3

Here is what Bobby said he would do if he were to win the world championship:

'll play a lot, stake matches. Not like the Russians. They win the championship and then hide for three years. Every few months, anyway twice a year, I'd like to get up a purse and meet a challenger. It's good for the game, keeps up interest in chess, and it's good for the bank account. I want to get some money together. Like take professional football. All these athletes making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Contracts, endorsements. If there's room for all of them, there ought to be room for one of me. I mean, after all, I'm a great goodwill ambassador for the United States! Besides, I want money so I can tell some people I don't like to go ... yeah." -- Bobby Fischer

Too bad it didn't all go according to plan. And, we are left wondering who all these people were whom he wanted to go blank themselves? Geez...he lost to over 50 people, I would suppose that would be part of the plan. However, I suspect that's hardly the tip of the iceberg.

felj

Laughing Are there things in your life besides this chess.com thread?? Tongue out

ChazR

You are probably a poor to average player if the "touch move rule" excites you and you grab your Queen-side Bishop too much.

e4nf3
felj wrote:

Are there things in your life besides this chess.com thread??

Well, with the teachers' union, I can sit here in the faculty lounge and goof off as much as I wish. What's wrong with that?

Lacking chess skills gives you no cause to lash out at nice folk.

You need help. In private mail, I am going to tell you exactly where you can go to get it. Innocent

Master_Po

lol, that's funny, I don't care who you are.

You're a bad chess player if:  When you hear the name Capablanca, you're sure it's a hit movie with Humphrey Bogart in it. 

e4nf3

I wish I had said that.

And, actually, somewhere back on this gawdawfully long thread...I actually think I did.

e4nf3
e4nf3 wrote:

Very last one...

You think that Capablanca is in western Morroco where Humphrey Bogart starred in your favorite movie and you log onto Expedia to book a one month vacation there.

Yep...5 months ago, #1063.

ChazR

You could be a "bad" player if you still call it the "Horse" and have to visualize the "L" shape everytime you move.

e4nf3

Love your test pattern. Used to see it all the time back in the 50ies when the TV signed off for the night. Of course, I suspect that you know of this.

OK...the horse...

Recently, I was teaching my brother chess. Next time we played, he asked: "The horse...is it two left and then one forward? Or is it one forward and two left?"

I told him: "Same thing."

Of course, I've always looked at it as 2 + 1. However, 1 + 2 is the same thing. But, I really don't think he is grasping this too well. Next time we meet for cigars, coffee and chess...we'll see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ben_Dubuque

Wasn't Bogart a Master Level player regardless???

e4nf3

He played. The opening scene in Casablanca...he's over a chess board. As I recall, he was fairly good. But, I don't think at master level. You could research it and tell us.

Hint: http://www.bogieonline.com/chess.htm

Ben_Dubuque

no I read that he was a regular tournoment player posting master level results

fvaisey

So he wasn't talking about a song when he said: "Play it again, Sam"? 

I know that he didn't actually say that but it seemed to fit in the thread. 

You know you're a bad chess player when you join Chess.com and spend more time in the forums than actually playing.

Master_Po
e4nf3 wrote:

I wish I had said that.

And, actually, somewhere back on this gawdawfully long thread...I actually think I did.

No way had I read the entire thread.  It just hit me.  Great minds think alike I suppose.

Wonder what rating Bogart was?  Heard that Howard STern was a 1600 player. 

YOu're a bad player if:  You cannot see the sleeping dragon formation in the Sicilian Dragon Defense. 

ChazR

The correct nomenclature for the movement of the knight is "one squrare over to the opposite color."  Perhaps that helps.

ChazR

I don't personally know Humphry Bogart.  Lots of guys played chess and poker and backgammon during the wait between set-ups.  He was smart, I can tell you that, in those days, chess was a mystery.  Now, is like a toy.  Still, we pay hommage to the great players and the people who keep the game alive.