Forums

Endgame! ( TheOpenFile )

Sort:
theopenfile

Hi,

I just finished this game from a tournament i am in ( my opponent resigned ), I believe i played very well, During the end of the game i had an extra piece and extra queenside pawns. but at one point  ( move 33) it looked like a draw and i couldnt find a move until i thought of 34.Ba6. 

Could the game have been drawn?

How do you think we played? 

SharmaPawan

no no draw , you 'll win

theopenfile
SharmaPawan wrote:

no no draw , you 'll win

okay.

binblaster

I think this was a won endgame for you. A piece up generally wins easily in an endgame.

b_complex

well played. couldnt find any errors on your part. I think you reached a level where you can win any normal position with an extra piece. Just the confidence in this ability seems to be missing. Wink

as long as you got pawns in an endgame and you are up a piece, you should be winning (with veeery few exceptions).

in your position of move 34 pretty much every move wins, even 34 Bxf5 gxf5 35Nc8. you found the easiest way though.

theopenfile
b_complex wrote:

well played. couldnt find any errors on your part. I think you reached a level where you can win any normal position with an extra piece. Just the confidence in this ability seems to be missing.

as long as you got pawns in an endgame and you are up a piece, you should be winning (with veeery few exceptions).

in your position of move 34 pretty much every move wins, even 34 Bxf5 gxf5 35Nc8. you found the easiest way though.

Thanks, yeh you are right i need to be more confident when in a winning position, i seem to waste alot of time thinking about moves when it is not necessary. Yell

AndyClifton

34 a5 looks good too (34... Ke7 35 b6).

utarefson

Ok, you were winner at 31. move. But if you think of a way to defend for Black in Endgame, there are still some crazy ideas.

1. Black shouldn't 31. ... f5, just 31. ... Kf8. He would be one tempo up that way.

2. At 36. move Black have very big weakness because of his pawns on white squares. But if we overlook it, there is still some chance. After 36. ... Kc7 he would temporary block White's pawn, so he would fight in future for some kind of stalemate or even win a pawn, if you would blunder.