Forums

in dire need of help (please analyze a 600 rating game)

Sort:
wesleyn1

can someone please tell me how i am supposed to play against this?

he breaks many opening principles and just pushes many pawns..........

i know i didnt play well,,,,,,,because i felt STUCK at every turn

notmtwain
wesleyn1 wrote:

Well, we could tell you what we would do. But if you ever want to get better, look at each move and see if there is anything that could have been done differently.

For example, how could you have saved your knight?

wesleyn1
notmtwain wrote:
wesleyn1 wrote:

Well, we could tell you what we would do. But if you ever want to get better, look at each move and see if there is anything that could have been done differently.

b3?

Deranged

Moves 1 and 2 - you're doing great! You've taken control of the centre of the board, you've developed a knight. This is good to see.

Move 3 - This is suboptimal. You should've played Nf6 instead, developing another piece and exploiting the fact that our opponent is going to struggle to defend his e4 pawn, since he can no longer play Nc3. Remember that we want to develop each piece with tempo. We don't just want to develop aimlessly.

Move 4 - This is very bad. The one thing we actually accomplished by moving Bc5 last move was that we actually got to control the centre of the board. We got to apply pressure along the g1-h7 diagonal and we got to make it difficult for white to push his pawn to d4 and dominate the centre. But now that we've moved back to the really passive e7 square, we've just said to white "feel free to take control over the centre!" A much better move would've been Bb6, which keeps control over the centre. Remember that your goal in the opening is to control the centre, particularly the e4, e5, d4 and d5 squares. With a bishop on c6, we are at least able to control the d4 square, but with a bishop on e7, we don't control any central squares.

Move 5 - Excellent move! This is very good to see. You're developing a knight, you're doing it with tempo (attacking white's e4 pawn), and you're also fighting for control over the centre.

Move 6 - Another great move! We are bringing our king to safety and preparing to develop our rook.

Move 7 - This is the part where white has begun to exploit you for your earlier mistakes! If you had instead moved your bishop to b6 (on move 4), then you would've freed up the e7 square for you to play Ne7 when this inevitable pawn push comes. Now, you're stuck between 2 horrible moves: either Nb8 (takes away your development) or Na5 ("a knight on the rim is grim"). I think you chose the best move here, but the key thing is that you are being punished for your earlier mistakes.

Move 8 - You are really treading on thin ice here! Your knight is not safe on a5! You should immediately prioritise trying to re-position your a5 knight to a safer square, where it can't be trapped and attacked. A move like b6 or c6 would be good here, as it immediately prepares for your knight to get out and re-position itself closer to the centre.

Move 9 - I would prefer b6 or c6, as you immediately try to crack open white's pawn chain. Remember that we always want to destroy overextended pawn chains as quickly as possible, before they turn into deadly pawn storms.

Move 10 - This move is way too passive and weak. A much better move would be either b6 (preparing to relocate our knight and solidify our pawn structure) or Bg4 (a much more active square for our bishop).

Move 11 - This is a huge blunder! This is not how we achieve a pawn break!!! Not only does it leave our e5 pawn hanging, but it also fails to accomplish anything in regards to breaking up white's pawn chain! A much better move would be b6 here, which solidifies our pawn structure and allows our a5 knight to finally get into the action.

Move 12 - Remember how you criticised your opponent for pushing too many pawns? Now you are guilty of exactly the flaw you found in your opponent! There is no reason for us to waste a move playing h6. We still have pieces that need to be developed! We still have a knight stuck on a5 doing nothing! And besides: our opponent's knight isn't actually threatening anything, so we have no need to push it away just yet.

Move 13 - You have blundered a pawn on e5! You've also trapped your knight on a5 with the possibility of pawn to b6 no longer available! And you've moved your queen to the side of the board, which is bad!

I would say it's basically game over after move 11, although we still have a fighting chance up until move 14.

IpswichMatt

Deranged gives lots of good advice.

I’d just like to add that you could have played 6...d5 to free your game. 

Also you could have played ...a6 to prevent b5 at some point.

You could have defended your knight with Bd8 near the end, although it’s still tricky to untangle your pieces by this point. You really should have played b6 earlier, once your knight had to flee to a5.

Right at the end your queen could have gone to d6

notmtwain
wesleyn1 wrote:
notmtwain wrote:
wesleyn1 wrote:

b3?

No , not b3.  Did you mean 13..b6?

wesleyn1
Why not 13 queen b6?
MasterMaceWindu
wesleyn1 wrote:

One thing that could help is to play more aggressively. You were too passive. If he throws pawns at you find the base pawn in one of his chains and attack it. The most important thing to do in chess is to control the center. Your pieces got stuck because you didn't try to combat his pawn moves. Let me show you a board, just a sec.

MasterMaceWindu
MasterMaceWindu

Hope I helped!

Ashvapathi

Queen could have gone to b6... or am I missing something?

IpswichMatt

you mean d6?

wesleyn1
Queen did go to b6 but I think he is saying my pawn have should’ve taken b6 spot and MaceWindu I’ll check out your board when I get home. Thanks guys.
wesleyn1
Deranged wrote:

Moves 1 and 2 - you're doing great! You've taken control of the centre of the board, you've developed a knight. This is good to see.

Move 3 - This is suboptimal. You should've played Nf6 instead, developing another piece and exploiting the fact that our opponent is going to struggle to defend his e4 pawn, since he can no longer play Nc3. Remember that we want to develop each piece with tempo. We don't just want to develop aimlessly.

Move 4 - This is very bad. The one thing we actually accomplished by moving Bc5 last move was that we actually got to control the centre of the board. We got to apply pressure along the g1-h7 diagonal and we got to make it difficult for white to push his pawn to d4 and dominate the centre. But now that we've moved back to the really passive e7 square, we've just said to white "feel free to take control over the centre!" A much better move would've been Bb6, which keeps control over the centre. Remember that your goal in the opening is to control the centre, particularly the e4, e5, d4 and d5 squares. With a bishop on c6, we are at least able to control the d4 square, but with a bishop on e7, we don't control any central squares.

Move 5 - Excellent move! This is very good to see. You're developing a knight, you're doing it with tempo (attacking white's e4 pawn), and you're also fighting for control over the centre.

Move 6 - Another great move! We are bringing our king to safety and preparing to develop our rook.

Move 7 - This is the part where white has begun to exploit you for your earlier mistakes! If you had instead moved your bishop to b6 (on move 4), then you would've freed up the e7 square for you to play Ne7 when this inevitable pawn push comes. Now, you're stuck between 2 horrible moves: either Nb8 (takes away your development) or Na5 ("a knight on the rim is grim"). I think you chose the best move here, but the key thing is that you are being punished for your earlier mistakes.

Move 8 - You are really treading on thin ice here! Your knight is not safe on a5! You should immediately prioritise trying to re-position your a5 knight to a safer square, where it can't be trapped and attacked. A move like b6 or c6 would be good here, as it immediately prepares for your knight to get out and re-position itself closer to the centre.

Move 9 - I would prefer b6 or c6, as you immediately try to crack open white's pawn chain. Remember that we always want to destroy overextended pawn chains as quickly as possible, before they turn into deadly pawn storms.

Move 10 - This move is way too passive and weak. A much better move would be either b6 (preparing to relocate our knight and solidify our pawn structure) or Bg4 (a much more active square for our bishop).

Move 11 - This is a huge blunder! This is not how we achieve a pawn break!!! Not only does it leave our e5 pawn hanging, but it also fails to accomplish anything in regards to breaking up white's pawn chain! A much better move would be b6 here, which solidifies our pawn structure and allows our a5 knight to finally get into the action.

Move 12 - Remember how you criticised your opponent for pushing too many pawns? Now you are guilty of exactly the flaw you found in your opponent! There is no reason for us to waste a move playing h6. We still have pieces that need to be developed! We still have a knight stuck on a5 doing nothing! And besides: our opponent's knight isn't actually threatening anything, so we have no need to push it away just yet.

Move 13 - You have blundered a pawn on e5! You've also trapped your knight on a5 with the possibility of pawn to b6 no longer available! And you've moved your queen to the side of the board, which is bad!

I would say it's basically game over after move 11, although we still have a fighting chance up until move 14.

thank you i just finished reading this brother

wesleyn1
MasterMaceWindu wrote:

Hope I helped!

awesome help thank you VERRRY much 

Ashvapathi
IpswichMatt wrote:

you mean d6?

Yeah. Typo.

wesleyn1
MagnutsCarleson wrote:

is this my game? im confused.

wesleyn1
MagnutsCarleson wrote:

how does 31. nb8 stop qd5?

pt54

the only reason you lost the game is because u r weak in tactics ,so practice tactics 

Greeting

Awesome commetary on this game!  Great for beginners.  Thanks for your time everyone.