Sort:
AlliumSativum

Can I pause during the game analysis?

GeorgeFessaras
[COMMENT DELETED]
Pooya-Khodadadi

3 Queens and 6 pawns??  How is that possible anyways Cool

AlonaMartin

My life history is a case of “been there-done that” thing, which in many ways is so much more valuable

slaysicilian

I annotated one of my games but when i posted it, it never saved my comments. can someone help me here? what did i do wrong? Thanks

Wind

!!    An extremely strong move, often game winning.

!     A great move

!?    A speculative move, possibly strong but more analysis is needed.

?!    A dubious move, prossibly weak but more analysis is needed. 

?     A bad move

??    A blunder, equivalent to hanging a piece.

+-   White is winning.

+/- White has a significant edge.

+/= White has a small edge.

=     Equality.

=/+  Black has a small edge.

-/+  Black has a significant edge.

-+    Black is winning.

I love this.

kingforaknight

Can someone please answer this question. My opponent touched his pawn which was on the 7th rank, so he had to move it. His only move was straight ahead to promote it (couldn't take anything). So as he placed it on the 8th rank, he said to queen him, however his hand was still on the piece. So as I was picking up his queen to queen his pawn I said that that's a draw, because it was a statement. But then, as he still had his finger on his pawn which was on the 8th rank, he said that he wants a knight. So I said that he asked for a queen and touched his pawn so it's too late. He said it's not because even though he said to queen him, he didn't take his hand off the pawn yet, so he can change his mind. Would you know the rule on this? Thx.

KingsSlayerIYI

Thanks

Jenium
kingforaknight wrote:

Can someone please answer this question. My opponent touched his pawn which was on the 7th rank, so he had to move it. His only move was straight ahead to promote it (couldn't take anything). So as he placed it on the 8th rank, he said to queen him, however his hand was still on the piece. So as I was picking up his queen to queen his pawn I said that that's a draw, because it was a statement. But then, as he still had his finger on his pawn which was on the 8th rank, he said that he wants a knight. So I said that he asked for a queen and touched his pawn so it's too late. He said it's not because even though he said to queen him, he didn't take his hand off the pawn yet, so he can change his mind. Would you know the rule on this? Thx.

Why did you promote the pawn for him??? Your hands should not be on the board while it is his move.

As for your question: No idea, but my guess is that talking does not count as "touch move".

HalfSicilin
TonyGas wrote:

please help me solve this tricky little poser. really, i want mate in three but will settle for four moves. i am playing white. thank you

If you are white, you're in bad shape after K-g1 Q-h1#

KingG19K

Thanks for this post. Very informative! 

richyspankdangle

I'm currently learning tactics through Chesscademy, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how this game can be mate in 3 moves for white:

https://snag.gy/8wEsrW.jpg

zenomorphy
aman_makhija wrote:

I agree with all, except #2. Why can't you learn from your opponent's mistakes. 

Often times at beginner and intermediate level, many games are won, even though you don't deserve to win them. So, you might have lost a pawn in the middlegame, but your opponent blundered a mating net in the endgame, much later. Then you need to find where you made a mistake while losing your pawn.

This happens very often at begginners level, and intermediate (like me!)

Well said Aman. Your post is a strong argument, as reviewing our mistakes (made in games won or lost) seems in keeping with the spirit of the rule: "...we learn the most when we review our losses" . However, it appears the rule/guideline was regarding "posting", not "analyzing" , ...learning. Learn from all your games, yet don't boast or gloat online, ...seems to be the emphasis ("If you really want to post a game..."). Fine guidelines, IMO.

"2.  Post a lot games that you lost, a few that were draws, and on occasion those that you won.  While it is more fun to gloat over our wins than suffer under our losses, we learn the most when we review our losses.  If you really want to post a game where you crushed your opponent, consider the game showcase forum."

Why don't we say, ...when Posting Games for member feedback & input, focus on losses, honestly critical of errors (mishandling opening, middle-game & endgame structures, positional & tactical blunders/losing moves, ...while earnest in seeking advice), analyse as many games as you can (particularly slower time controls) and focus on all mistakes (so as not to repeat them) when analyzing your games happy.png .

EnigmaKitty

How do I post a game? I am accessing the site via Android if that matters

Martin_Stahl
EnigmaKitty wrote:

You can't from the app. Depending on your screen size, you might be able to from the browser. I've done it from my phone but it isn't easy. That interface was designed with larger screens in mind.

khan_dayyanz

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/when-you-avoid-developing-your-pieces

D_S_Oliver

I'm sorry, but how exactly can I make notes in my game? When I post the PGN code, it doesnt allow for editing afterwards. Am I doing something wrong?

zenomorphy
Martin_Stahl wrote:
EnigmaKitty wrote:

You can't from the app. Depending on your screen size, you might be able to from the browser. I've done it from my phone but it isn't easy. That interface was designed with larger screens in mind.

Martin_Stahl

Hello Martin,
May I please second post #260 (below) and graciously request an answer from someone in the know?

printscharming
#260 Dec 25, 2015 wrote:
"Wow, ran across this post today, looking for some advice on game analysis. Had not ever thought about posting any of my games, but after reading this great forum, I might consider. I was trying to see where to post a question. Hopefully, I can do that here.
Question:
Is there anyway to have moves time stamped? I tend to lose many games on time and in reviewing my games, I'd like to see where that time was spent. Then, maybe I can take a closer look as to what I was thinking, seeing, or considering at that point."

Thank you most kindly Martin! Your knowledge is always appreciated here 😊!
Cheers!
zeno

Martin_Stahl

The move timestamps for Live are included in the game and can be downloaded with the PGN now.

zenomorphy

Thank you Martin!! I just learned something new about v3!! That is too cool. 

Much appreciated!

zeno

This forum topic has been locked