Forums

Squeezed - then Squashed.

Sort:
Maradonna

Hello,

I lost this game a few days ago.

This is how I'd summarise the game.

• I saw what I believed to be a mistake by my opponent in the opening. Tried to capitalise on it - failed and found myself on the back foot.
  • Managed to get back in the game, maybe even have a slight advantage.
  • Made a positional error and was slowly squeezed until I had nothing left.

I don't think that I made too many massive blunders, I think that I just made too many weak moves. Any help finding better moves or alternative analysis would be great.

Thanks in advance.

mkrysz

9.a4 is OK but 10.axb5 is not, since it opens your opponent's Bishop. I think you shouldn't play anything on the Queen's side except c3 and Bc2. Sooner or later Black has to castle, so moving your Bishop to c2 is a standard idea.

Maradonna

Thanks, Nyul.

Yeah, I think missing out 9.a4 altogether and going for your c3 and Bc2 is a vast improvement. Also, like you say - sticks to a standard idea.

Welcome to chess.com :)

Eebster
tonydal wrote:

Looks like you had 28 Rfxf4.

Good catch. After that the game is all white.

Maradonna
tonydal wrote:

Looks like you had 28 Rfxf4.

I've looked over this game several times and not once got even a little bit close to seeing that.  I may of had a chance :)

Cheers, Tonydal.

nuclearturkey

I'm not sure about this, but I actually like 5.Bb5+ and after c6 6.Bd3 or Be2 the Bishop has been developed with maximum inconvenience to Black (c6 blocks his Bishop on b7). I know a similar maneuver can sometimes happen in the Torre Attack.

Maradonna
nuclearturkey wrote:

I'm not sure about this, but I actually like 5.Bb5+ and after c6 6.Bd3 or Be2 the Bishop has been developed with maximum inconvenience to Black (c6 blocks his Bishop on b7). I know a similar maneuver can sometimes happen in the Torre Attack.

Ah, interesting. Rather than Bb5+ being the weak move, perhaps it was the Ba4 retreat that was an error. I think that I'm that used to retreating in such a manner from playing the Spanish, that I was blind to the idea of hitting him with a quick check to create a positional weakness and then retreat controlling the a5-d1 diagonal.

Thanks for taking a look.

Maradonna

Thanks very much, Paulgotlieb.

10.Bxd5 does look good, seems to rid me of the cramped position.

Nice petite combination starting with move 20...Bxh2+. I was caught out by a clever check move just the other day. It's really something that I need to consciously make myself more aware of.

22.Be3 does seem more natural, but I think by this point my boat had pretty much sunk. I was waiting for my opponent to make weak moves and not even able to put any pressure on them to encourage such moves.

It is interesting how you also felt that the opening I ended up with was still playable. I was sure at the time that I was in a real mess. You've also shown good moves to prove that it was playable.

Really appreciate it!