Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
OnParole

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=286484722

Lost bad here!

StrategicusRex

Murck, post #1,004

NNA (1208) vs. Murck (1278)

King Pawn Game, Wayward Queen Attack

White Victory   1-0

This is my analysis of Murck’s game in post 1,004.  There are a few spots where I believe he stood to gain the advantage despite the slip in the opening.

2. Qh5 - This is a move common to many novices (even myself a few times in the past).  It can be okay if the player knows what he’s doing.  Most people just see the attack on the e5 pawn and look no further.  This shortsightedness can be very easy to punish.  The most solid way to counter this move is to simply defend the pawn with a move such as 2...Nc6 or 2...d6 and then concentrate on shooing away the white queen.

2...Nf6!? - While this does drop the e5 pawn, I think this is actually a gambit geared toward gaining tempi on White’s queen in exchange for the sacrificed pawn.  Don’t quote me on that, though.  As I said before, simply 2...Nc6 or 2...d6 curbs White’s threatened 3. Qxe5+ and allows you to focus on kicking away the queen.

4...d6 - While not a bad move, this was a bit poorly-timed.  It’s of course prudent to give the light-squared bishop some scope and it does follow the opening guideline of developing with threats (and thus with tempi), but allows a later Bb5 from White which could, as it did in this game, interfere with your goal of gaining time by attacking White’s queen.  Here, simply 4...Nc6 is fine, since the d7 pawn shelters the king from any Bb5 nonsense.

5. Qd4? - This move is indeed dubious.  White’s being too free with his queen and is simply allowing Black to gain more time by hitting her.  5. Qg3 is a better try at salvaging lost time.

6...Bd7! - I believe this to be a fine move in that position.  You correctly observed that after the pin on the c6 knight was broken, the white queen was once again in danger.  This left White with a choice.  He could either lose even more time by retreating his queen again, or relinquish one of his bishops and capture with 7. Bxc6.  He made the latter choice.

8. d3? - While you’re busy developing, White’s busy pushing pawns.  This would be fine in a closed position where action is slow to happen.  In this position, however, things can be stirred up quickly and there’s the chance that you can initiate an attack on White’s still uncastled king.  Remember that a lead in development is a dynamic, short-term advantage.  If you don’t exploit it while you can, it’ll fade away in an instant.

8...O-O - I believe that this move was good.  You get your own king to safety and bring the h8 rook into play.  Now you can likely start thinking about cracking open the center while you’ve still got four pieces developed to White’s one.  Now, White’s first order of business should likely be to play 9. Nf3 and then castle.

9...d5 - Well, since White’s now still neglecting his own king’s safety, it looks like you can reasonably think about attacking.  Keep in mind that you need to be cautious, since you’re still a solid pawn down.  Here, I wonder what you would have done had White played 10. e5! instead of what he actually did. 

One line might go: 10. e5!, Nd7 - 11. Bf4, Re8 - 12. Nf3, f6!, when White appears to be losing e5.

Another line might go: 10. e5!, Nd7 - 11. Bxe7, Qxe7 - 12. f4!, f6 - 13. Nf3, Re8 - 14. O-O, when White might lose e5, but may be able to use a few Re1 tactics against your queen.

Bottom line, 10. e5 might not be the best response, but it is an obvious one and does require some calculation on your part if it’s to be refuted.

10. Nd2 - This is a more solid move.  I still think that Nf3 and then O-O should be White’s chief goal, but you shouldn’t be in a hurry to start exchanges on e4.  That file’s going to help you a lot more open than it will closed.  Also, since you’re already down a clean pawn, a queen exchange (especially this early) might not be that beneficial to you.

10...dxe4?! - I think that this the move that really made life tough for you.  Allowing a queen trade nixes any immediate attacking ideas and gives him a chance to consolidate his extra pawn and reach a fine position.  Here, I recommend 10...b6 so you can move your light-squared bishop out of the c7 pawn’s way and try to get something going with ...c5.  You’ve got the bishop pair, which is arguably an advantage in and of itself (more range being a major part of it).  It’d be a good idea to try and break things open and use them before White has time to coordinate his own men.  If White really wants to, he could play 11. exd5, but that’s asking for trouble along the e file.

11...Rfxd8? - I do believe that this is a case of “the wrong rook”.  11...Raxd8 looked better since while it covers the d file, the rook on f8 can then be used to fight for the e file.  They can also then double on either file later with ease.

12...Bxe4? - This was an ill move.  If you want to, you can say that now you’re automatically worse due to not having the two bishops anymore, but that’s beside the point here.  12. Nxe4 gave you a sparkling opportunity to use some nice tactics against the now very weak g2 pawn.  Simply put, if you can land your light-squared bishop on g2 before White can play Nf3, then you’ve got yourself a free rook.  However, don’t get tunnel-vision and look at the capture of that rook as the only possible outcome of this plan.  Sometimes, the mere threat of one tactic can force other weaknesses in the opponent’s position and thus give chances for other tactics to appear.

One way to attack g2 is this: 12...Nxe4! - 13. Bxe7, Re8! - 14. dxe4, Rxe7 - 15. f3, f5, when White now stands to lose e4.  In this way, you get your pawn back and still retain one of your bishops, which may outperform the white knight on that open board.

20...Bc3! - This was a good move.  Now one of White’s pawns is momentarily impeded and f6 has another defender.  Even down a pawn (technically two if you’re that way about doubled pawns), this endgame might be drawable for you.  Note, however, that 21. Ng1! threatens 22. Ne2 when your bishop may be forced to move.

21...a5 - Perhaps 21...h6 would have been a better move.  It would force White to play h4 if he wants to bust through on g5, which would take away his chances for an outside passed pawn and also cure your own doubled pawns in the process.  21...h6 - 22. h4, a5 - 23. g5, fxg5 - 24. hxg5, hxg5 - 25. Nxg5.

22. a4?? - This didn’t look good.  Since you’ve still got a blockade on the c2 pawn, you now have a chance to create a passer of your own with 22...c6! and 23...b5!.

One line might go: 22...c6 - 23. Ng1, b5 - 24. Ne2, when while you might not get a passer, the queenside might stay intact for a bit.

22...c5?? - This right here was a shot in the foot.  Now you have little hope of ever getting a queenside passer since now there’s nothing to support a ...b5 advance.  In your comment on this move, you said that you had no idea what you were doing.  I suggest studying some basic endgames.  They’ll help you in your planning in these positions.

25...Bd4?? - Last rites.  I think the only hope of drawing you had was your bishop, but now he can take it off of the board (which he did) and get a very comfortable king-and-pawn ending.

I think that should do it.  The rest of the game should be a fun exercise for you to work on yourself.  I hope this helps you some.  Cheers, mate!

TonyH

I put some comments in. your tactics are "ok" for 800 but your not calculating variations enough. Work on looking for all checks, checkmate threats, captures and capture threats. look at some games and try to play guess the move before looking at next one.  and your openings are a bit suspect pick something simple and go with it

Murck

Thank you Tony and theweaponking for all your feedback. Cheers!

OnParole

Murck, you're trading too quickly!

Trade for advantage only!! (As if I'd know Innocent....!)

Also, with the Crazy Queen Opening I think you are supposed to just play Nf6!! -->>>that's what Kasparov recommends apparently!!

learnateverygame

a 1 min bullet for you guys to ENJOY, NOT RECOMMENDED TO ANALYZE ;)

learnateverygame

another 2000+ scalp collected in bullet ;)

RyanCko
guesso

This thread is just hilarious. Everyone annotates the games like every move and decision of his was correct and instructive just because the game is won yet it's full of tactical mistakes. LOL

Ben_Dubuque

here is a game that wasn't won from the onset

StrategicusRex

Jetfighter13's game from post #1,015

(I am not familiar with any line of the Sicilian, so I can't make any comments on the opening phase.)

14. b4?? - This move isn't good.  I understand your desire to lock up the queenside in order to prevent Black from attacking you there, but Black can very easily sacrifice a couple of pawns in order to pry your king's position open.  Here, you actually help your opponent because you weaken your own king's cover and shorten the distance his pawns have to travel before they can start biting.  Usually, it's a no-holds barred race to checkmate in Sicilian games and most defensive moves like this one get punished badly.  Here, I simply recommend proceeding with your own designs and playing 14. h4.  He's going to come for you, so you need to go for him too.

16...a4?? - Awful move by your opponent.  Now he's essentially just shot himself in the foot by limiting his own avenues of attack.  16...axb4! and you were in deep trouble.

One line might go like this: 16...axb4 - 17. axb4, Ra8 - 18. Nb3, Na3 - 19. Ned4 (preventing ...Be6!.), Qc7.  White's position appears to be falling apart here.

17. g5 - Personally, I'd have played 17. h4 and used the h5 pawn lever in order to try and pry something open over there.  Seems like eventually you're going to get either the g file or the h file to open up.  I don't like 17. g5 because of 17...Nh5 (which was what Black played), which makes it take a bit longer to get a good pawn storm going.

19. Ng3?? - Big oversight.  Now after 19...Nxf4, Black has an easy attack.

One continuation might go like this: 19...Nxf4 - 20. Qf3, Nxa3!.  Here, White looks like he's busted since Black's got some serious firepower bearing directly down on the White king.  Obviously both 21. Qxa3?? and 21. Qxf4?? run into 21...Qxc2# mate, but any alternative looks like it still leaves you bleeding.  Really, the only chance to survive looks like 21. c4, ugly as it may seem.  For instance, 21. c4, Nxc4 - 22. Qc3, Qb6 still leaves you in big trouble.  21. c4, Nxc4 - 22. Bxc4, Qxc4+ - 23. Qxb4+ is equally hideous.

28. c3?? - This was actually a blunder.  Now, Black gets a very dangerous a pawn with 28...a3.  Black seems to obtain a winning edge with 28...a3 - 29. Kc1, Ba4 - 30. Be2, Bb3 - 31. Bxh5, a2 - 32. Kb2, Ra8.  I don't think that White can safely blast open the kingside since it allows Black's rook easy penetration into the white camp.

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

Ben_Dubuque

it did, that was a horrid game after looking at it, I still won't abandon the g- file, I should have seen some of those

applesc2
I hope this helps someone.
learnateverygame

a good game I played yesterday :

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=290868075

if you want to analyze thats ok, because its a 5 min game

games I should have won, and painfully lost ;(

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=287725478

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=287733094

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=287739608

this painful losses reminds me, that I still have a long one to go if I want to be better at chess

learnateverygame

Titled players are one of the hardest ones to beat, in blitz and even in bullet. But today after so many painful encounters against titled players, I managed to win a game against a very strong CM, in which I finally defeat him not on time, but by checkmate ;)

fyi, its a 1 min game, so pardon his and my blunders :P

but it shows how hard it is to know what (finishing) moves that needs to be made to kill off the opponent. 

hope u guys enjoy it. 

Lucifer99

Been awhile since I posted on here, so here's a win, loss and draw. Which now to think about it, all are reflected in the endgame:

Win(/most recent):

Fun game, I think we both had inaccuracies, but I was able to calculate further and had slightly less.

Loss:

Showing that I still need work on my end games

And lastly, a draw from awhile ago with someone else who's been in this thread before:

If anyone has any input I'd be glad to read it :)

learnateverygame

ok... I dont know where to start, game 2, it was opening blunder, you dont take the pawn, you play d6 first, then after knight move, then you regain the pawn w/ Nxe4...

game 3 : so many blunders from both side... first, black is winning, then white, then it become equal, and finally you are winning... 3 pawns vs 1 pawn + rook is an overkill, if you think about the moves you play ( I know all of us sometime forget how to continue w/ the moves etc), you will be on your way to win a lot..

Lucifer99

Thanks for the feedback :) Like I said, game 2 was an opening I never really play. I don't know if vengence has put up the 3rd game from his point of veiw already, but I haven't seen it, I'm hoping he does!

learnateverygame

posting a 5 min game of mine...

I hope that you guys can get something out of this.. 

I am going to give you puzzle (that happened in game) to solve, its easy to solve it ;)

learnateverygame

another game played freshly today, must say I am proud of the achievement ;)

puzzle of the game :