Fear the Passed Pawn!

  • #1

    I found this game very interesting, for the passed pawn cramps Black's position sooo much that he can hardly defend himself.

  • #2

    The only way I can see this being prevented after the pawn reached F7 was taking it with the queen on move 22, although the game pretty much would have been over by then.

  • #3

    This game is over on move 4 with ...Bxb4.  The pawn moves that follow allow white to take control of the center while Black does nothing but shift around his bishop.  On move 8 white has control of the center and 3 developed pieces.  The passed pawn ramming home victory is a highlight.

  • #4

    idk wats so bad about 17...fxe6 next move is bxe6+ no big deal really he ends up a pawn and he got rid of whites center control plus he has his own passed pawn black made a mistake there

  • #5
    JoelWD wrote:

    The only way I can see this being prevented after the pawn reached F7 was taking it with the queen on move 22, although the game pretty much would have been over by then.


    21...Qxd8 would have been fine. Although, white did miss the overwhelming 20.Re6.

  • #6
    malaloman wrote:

    idk wats so bad about 17...fxe6 next move is bxe6+ no big deal really he ends up a pawn and he got rid of whites center control plus he has his own passed pawn black made a mistake there


    Well, you got the right answer...

     

    17...fxe6?? is a blunder due to 18.Bxe6+, forking the King and knight.

  • #7
    WarAndPiece wrote:

    This game is over on move 4 with ...Bxb4.  The pawn moves that follow allow white to take control of the center while Black does nothing but shift around his bishop.  On move 8 white has control of the center and 3 developed pieces.  The passed pawn ramming home victory is a highlight.


    No, the game isn't over.  It's called the Evans Gambit, and black isn't terribly lost.  Black just has to play accurately to hold onto the game.  :D

  • #8
    WarAndPiece wrote:

    This game is over on move 4 with ...Bxb4. The pawn moves that follow allow white to take control of the center while Black does nothing but shift around his bishop. On move 8 white has control of the center and 3 developed pieces. The passed pawn ramming home victory is a highlight.


    Evans' Gambit is so dangerous that, if black accepts, he is doomed to lose? That is quite a claim. The shredderchess opening database lists 4...Bxb4 at 48%, which is better than most.

Top
or Join

Online Now