Forums

Nice game Expert (1912) vs. Carlsen (2868), 5 min vs. 1 min.

Sort:
Pulpofeira

This lucky guy and other nine amateurs, all professionals of telecommunications business, were selected by Nordic Semiconductor to play Magnus in the 2015 Mobile World Congress. It wasn't a simul, they would play him per turns, face to face, but each one would have 5 minutes against only 1 minute for Magnus. This guy was third, and since he is from Valencia he was invited to share his experience in the Spanish magazine "Peón de Rey" (king's pawn). I'm sharing here the game and his comments. Enjoy!

1. e4 c5

"I'm not trying to make here an analysis, there are professionals for that, but my thoughts during the game. What's crossing an amateur's mind when playing the WC?"

"Sicilian! It's not frequent he plays this such agressive and tactical defense. It doesn't fit his style, more strategic and positional. But of course, with such a difference of level and with only one minute for all the game you can't take it easy".

2. Nf3 d6  3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nf6  5. Nc3 a6

Najdorf Variation, clearly Magnus is taking the direct way.

6. Be3 e5  7. Nb3 Be7

"I usually play the English Attack here, but playing such agressive against the World Champion? Playing a game with opposite castling? Push my kingside pawns? To hell, let's go!"

8. f3 h5

"First shock. And now? Because my plan was to play g4 and h4. Later, at home, I saw it was theorethical, but there I wasn't sure how to play".

9. Qd2 Be6  10. 0-0-0  Nbd7  11. Kb1 b5  12. Nd5 Bxd5  13. exd5 Nb6  14. Bxb6 Qxb6  15. f4?

MSC157

What an awesome game - especially because I know what is going on in this variation a little bit. ;)

Pulpofeira

"This was a mistake and I saw it before moving, but I didn't know how to play and the clock was running! Normal moves could be 15. Bd3 or 15. Na5. But my mistake provoked another by the champion that almost cost him the game. Indeed, with a minute for all the game Magnus was using the opponent's time to think, using his time only to move and hit the clock. Almost always he could guess his opponent's move, but he wasn't expecting 15. f4, an unnatural and bad move. Needing to move instantly he makes a mistake, as later admitted".

15. ...a5?

"First I was scared, Magnus was attacking in the queenside. But later I realized it's a bad choice, it allows some trades that lead to a disadvantage for black".

16. fxe5 dxe5  17. d6 Rd8? (better 17. ...Bd8, protecting the a5 pawn)  18. Qxa5 Qxa5  19. Nxa5 Rxd6  20. Bxb5+ Kf8  21. Rxd6 Bxd6  22. Rd1 Bc7

I'm beating the WC? It cannot be! But, looking objectively to the position, we have: one pawn up, three passed pawns, active pieces and the rook dominating the d file. While black didn't castle, with discoordinated pieces and an inactive rook. Houdine gives +3.16 here. I was seriouly considering the chance of beating Magnus Carlsen.

23. Nc4?

"First one of several mistakes. It was necessary 23. Nc6, wich keeps pressing, letting the rook inactive and supporting the a pawn advance. But, since I was playing Carlsen I was only thinking on defend. I was afraid of the black e passed pawn".

23. ...e4  24. a4 Ke7  25. Ne3 g6  26. Nd5+ Nxd5  27. Rxd5 Bxh2  

"There was a pawn here? White has wasted all his advantage".

28. a5 f5  29. a6 Bg1 30. a7

"Damn! The pawn can't be captured immediately, since it's protected by the check in d7, but it will fall soon".

30. ...Ra8  31. Rd7+ Ke6  32. Rg7 Kf6  33. Rd7 Rxa7  34. Rxa7 Bxa7

"Ok, now white is who is a pawn down, but it's an endgame with bishops of different colour. Maybe I can get a draw".

35. Kc1 f4  36. Kd2 g5  37. b4 g4  38. c4 f3  39. gxf3 exf3

"This looks bad now, but if I can give my bishop for the f3 and g4 pawns, it's a draw".

40. c5 g3  41. Ke3 g2  42. Kf2 Bb8  43. Bc6 Bh2  0-1.

"The game is over, promotion is unstoppable".

"But the party wasn't over, Magnus keeping playing to win all the games. Later we had the chance of chatting with him. He was very nice. His personality, apparently shy, changes before a chess board, and he enjoyed commenting and analyzing the games. He wasn't in a hurry and spotted his mistake in move 15. He asked me for my Elo: "1912". He was surprised, a great compliment by a great champion".

Pulpofeira
MSC157 escribió:

What an awesome game - especially because I know what is going on in this variation a little bit. ;)

I'm sorry, I had technical issues. I've included all comments now, but I think I should have put it before. Yep, the guy made it well.

Pulpofeira

Well, this one wasn't Bill Gates. And it's awesome how Magnus can play in such a way with only a minute.

Dirty_Sandbagger

What a nice game to play against a world champion. Shame he squandered his a pawn so easily.

NewArdweaden

Great, thanks for translating!

Pulpofeira
Dirty_Sandbagger escribió:

What a nice game to play against a world champion. Shame he squandered his a pawn so easily.

Yes, he was in time trouble. Also was Magnus, but, is not the same... Laughing

Pulpofeira
NewArdweaden escribió:

Great, thanks for translating!

Thanks, it was a tough job with the kids around. Laughing

solskytz

Beautiful game and presentation. Thanks for sharing!

It must have been a thrill, to reach a winning position against the Wch

But the position is very tricky and the win is by no means easy. 

It's +3 Houdini, it is true - but the continuations are far from obvious, and a couple of imprecise moves can shift the advantage to the other side

That, and playing blitz

When Carlsen is sitting on the other side...

Overall - a really great game, and the compliment from the WCh at the end is worth pure gold. 

(comment by another 1900-something Carlsen veteran... - Play ...d4! like Ivanchuk!)

AimfulAstronaut

this is sooo like a game played by carlsen and svilder in 2013 candidates

ephemeron-17

Thanks for sharing! Fascinating read.